Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - Dark Souls clone from City Interactive

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I doubt this will in any way be harder than Bound by flame. The rolling is a big turn off.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
That kinda strange when cheap-games vendor with free colourful toiletpaper make the expo but whatever.
Seems like Witcher2 inspired in combat.

Old Hans

Arcane
This game seems to be compared to dark souls for all the wrong reasons. It definitely wasn't all about fighting a bunch of lame Warhammer Fantasy Battle monsters.

Hidetaka Miyazaki save us!

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This game seems to be compared to dark souls for all the wrong reasons.
I think that Tomasz Gop and City Interactive want to draw attention of DaS players by "challenge" and other players by more friendly/popamole approach. So they basically try to get wider audience.

Well, I do like how they use their macho kratos hero as an excuse for the ridiculous weapons and things. They say he needs to look like he could wield ridiculous warcraft equipment where others couldn't, and he does, so at least that's justified.

Durwyn

Prophet
I don't really mind that they're making a Dark Souls clone / are heavily inspired by it. There surely aren't enough games like that.

a) It is a good game (unlikely but still) - competition is always good for end consumers, I don't think there is a need of explaining that.
b) It is meh/good for what it is - still something to play until new DS/Project Beast arrives
c) It is terribad - there still is DS

Plus the newest gameplay looks better than I expected, although combat movement seems a bit too responsive and stamina usage of rolls,blocks and attacks is a joke. I think that pumped up character build for press presentation is to be blamed for that.

I will remain cautiously optimistic.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Too many of these third person hack'n slashers already. And all looking more or less shit.

Durwyn

Prophet
Too many of these third person hack'n slashers already. And all looking more or less shit.
Please post some of them that focus on strategy, enemy-knowledge, timing etc. , not on mindlessly clicking lmb.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know and I don't really care either. They're all 3rd person HS games regardless of how the combat flows, and regardless of their possible respective quality (to their audience), I see an overabundance of games all trying to do more or less the same thing. And it's fucking boring.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game seems to be compared to dark souls for all the wrong reasons. It definitely wasn't all about fighting a bunch of lame Warhammer Fantasy Battle monsters.

Hidetaka Miyazaki save us!
He will. He became the president of From Software.

Edit: I don't like how the camera snaps when you roll/dodge.

Murk

Arcane
Art style looks like witcher 2 + WoW. Combat on that twitch feed does look pretty souls-y.

The boss that looked like pyramid head reminded me of The Visitor in Witcher 2 in the Hexed battlefield.

This is on my "no, but maybe if its cheap" list until more positive information comes out.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Boss who runs into you and gets stunned if he crashes into a wall
Now where have I already seen that

the answer is everywhere
EVERYWHERE

boring.

praetor

Arcane
it's nice seeing that style of combat done in an engine done by actually competent programmers. a pity the art style is crap and the story will very likely be super shit 'cause From truly needs some competition

Ebonsword

Arcane
It always made me wonder why we cannot really have action RPGs with some good arcade combat. In games like Dark Messiah or Assassin's Creed slashing the enemies gives me fun but the RPG elements are reduced to equipment/levelling-up making such games rather monotonous on the whole while in most of the core RPGs combat is pretty boring. Games that combine engrossing action combat with the RPG gameplay are the rarity so it'd be very promising to see the LotF take on that.

Sounds like you really need to play Dragon's Dogma.

As for LotF, it looks...okay. The lighting effects seem cool and the environmental & character designs look decent. But the combat seems kind of bland. I think I would have preferred seeing a battle against a bunch of mooks instead of against a boss.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Looks like what I would imagine to be the result of taking Dragon Age 2 (or whatever other generic ARPG) and trying to make the combat more Souls-ish. We complain about some of the hitboxes in Dark Souls 2, but this shit makes you appreciate how good we have it with From Software. Everything looks extremely floaty, both enemies and the player character glide around nonsensically with animations seemingly modelled after a paraplegic octopus. All indications point to this being shit, $5 Steam sale fodder at best.

In principle, I'm not at all opposed to other developers trying their hand at the Souls formula. From Software are good at many things, but their games have lots of room for improvement, which I'm fairly confident will never materialize because this is simply how they roll. So, someone else trying their hand at implementing these kinds of ideas could be interesting. However, this kind of game requires combat design which takes much more from real action games rather than shitty popamole, which is something western RPG developers are uniformly terrible at.

I almost wish Obsidian would try it, just to be able to witness the insane trainwreck.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well that looked pretty bad from my perspective. Those floaty controls look awful to actually play and that guy only using one attack on the first enemy worries me a bit. Also dodging looks incredibly finicky. Still they could fix all of these things if there's enough time before release.

Also why does every dodge have to be a roll now? Has any professional developer ever heard of sidestepping?

EDIT: Well watching a bit more and he does use a few more attacks which still look awful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom