Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - Dark Souls clone from City Interactive

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Preview from Eurogamer. Haven't read it, so no idea what is inside. Click at your own risk.

EDIT: Why do I keep linking to this shit, I don't even like the game.

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
so:
Exploration will be open to an extent, "but I don't want to fool anyone that it's an extremely branching and non-linear storyline", Gop says. "It's definitely more straightforward than that."
Lords isn't going to be punishing as Souls.
XP by your corpse slowly depletes, so you need to hurry up. Lords eases the pain, though, by allowing you to bank XP at strategically placed floating shards around the map. Too easy? "When you don't bank your XP, when you don't die, the amount of XP that you get from the next opponent grows slightly," Gop explains. "There is a multiplier on top of that that you get. It's a risk-reward."
Lords will also be kinder with environmental deaths - things like falling off ledges. "We ditched that. Not completely, but it's not going to be quite often that you can just fall off. Because of that," he adds, "the game is going to be similarly challenging but not as difficult all-in-all."
There are classes, there is lots of customisation - in that regard, the games are the same.
Gop finished Lords recently in around 18 hours, but he doesn't expect you will.
There's no multiplayer planned for Lords at the moment to draw things out

not much souls in it

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
it's nice seeing that style of combat done in an engine done by actually competent programmers. a pity the art style is crap and the story will very likely be super shit 'cause From truly needs some competition

Dragon's Dogma 2?

A fool can dream...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
XP by your corpse slowly depletes, so you need to hurry up. Lords eases the pain, though, by allowing you to bank XP at strategically placed floating shards around the map. Too easy? "When you don't bank your XP, when you don't die, the amount of XP that you get from the next opponent grows slightly," Gop explains. "There is a multiplier on top of that that you get. It's a risk-reward."
Hate this kind of system... is bad design, you're making the game easier for those that play it better.

Also, all that rolling on the video is absurd.

Rolls being the norm for dodging makes some sense. It's one animation that works to dodge all sorts of different attacks/hazards and is conceivably possible by a multitude of different character types. They also allow for a simple keystroke/button-press plus directional input scheme, avoiding the issue of control mistakes leading to an incorrect evasive maneuver while also saving on precious input real estate.

Sure, it looks a little silly when characters fling themselves to the ground to dodge a rapier or whatnot, but trying to fight the large enemies that fill the bestiaries of most action (role-playing) games with things like sidesteps would probably be even more comical looking or, even worse, lead to some dreadfully boring games of matador with any non-human opponents. Oh wait...

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I have no hope for this game because it doesn't really have it's own identity. Spouting inconsistent stuff like "It's like the Souls series", and then later retract "No no, it's not like Souls games at all" doesn't exactly help. The protagonist is your typical unlikable Slav hulk growling some predictable and delusional stuff reminiscent of the Kommissar when he gets excited about Poots. It gots a nice engine though (Germans know how to make engines), but when I read that the game is also being co-developed by CI games, all little hope left collapsed immediately.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it made sense in the Souls games. If your armor isn't too heavy, you can roll. If it's too heavy, you can't. The roll gives you an advantage for choosing not to have heavy armor. I played all of Demon's Souls in light armor.

Gozma

Arcane
Man, I think I probably couldn't play a 100% competent Dark Souls clone if the only thing wrong with it was that everything got reskinned to WoWisms

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

This doesn't look bad but it doesn't look good either. The boss fight was completely retarded.

Borelli

Arcane
The art style isn't horrible but it isn't that good either, especially when compared with Dark Souls. That boss had me cringe. Might get the game somewhere down the road if i have nothing better to play.

Perkel

Arcane
Frankly every artist on earth thinking big shoulder-pads are hot should get their hands broken so they won't put their fantasies on paper.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I like the animation a lot, especially in the duel fights. The graphical style is okay too. Gameplay looks weak though, and sounds way too linear. Bargain bin game someday.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Frankly every artist on earth thinking big shoulder-pads are hot should get their hands broken so they won't put their fantasies on paper.
I blame Joachim Murat.
antoine-jean-gros-equestrian-portrait-of-joachim-murat-1767-1815-1812_i-G-13-1346-LJES000Z.jpg

The tiger pelt is a nice touch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom