Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Realm I or II?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Which game did you like better?

I love Lords 2, but I struggle to get into 1. I dont like the combat so far in I it seems too slow and not very fun. I can play 2 for hours but cant seem to stay interested in 1. I hear alot of people like I though, so if you do can you tell me what I am missing?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I loved LotR2 (dont confuse with LoTR) but never really played 1. So I also would like to hear peoples opinions on that one. I know 3 is shitty budget project.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
I remember that with my neighbour we used to play LotR all day long, sharing tactics and strategies. When second instalment was released, we quickly forgot about first one. So even though I didn't played first one for nearly two decades(since LotR2 release), I'm quite sure that LotR2 is better...
...and let's just forget about 3. Never tried the part with magic.

:salute: for Impressions Games

Saxon1974

Prophet
Castle designing I guess?

Yea that is true, in lords 2 you can only select a castle type but have no control over how its built as they are just template castles. I liked that better in lords 1 but the micromanagement seems a little tedious (But some people like that) and the combat is not nearly as fun. I though the Interplay game Castles was alot of fun in the building castles and stuff but the rest of the game wasn't very good (namely the combat) and the castle walls werent much defense.

I am not sure there is any game that has made Castle sieges realistic, lords 2 might be the closest one. Stronghold (The first one) was a good game but I didnt like how wimpy the walls were. You could just send a bunch of macemen and they could break down a wall rather quickly where in real life that would take weeks to do by hand without siege weapons. I also love mount & blade but the sieges are pretty crappy confined to a single ladder.

I played medieval total war 2 as well but dont remember it that well, the game didnt hold my interest as much as lords 2 does.

Any other games that do sieges well?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Weeks? To break a wall by hand? Its nearly impossible without proper tools and mace isnt a proper tool. It always annoys me in all types of rts games when walls are brought down without siege equipment. And even siege equipment without gunpowder can hardly tear a wall down...

Saxon1974

Prophet
Weeks? To break a wall by hand? Its nearly impossible without proper tools and mace isnt a proper tool. It always annoys me in all types of rts games when walls are brought down without siege equipment. And even siege equipment without gunpowder can hardly tear a wall down...

I wouldn't argue with this. It's what drive me crazy about Castles by interplay, your basically defending your castle walls because welsh barbarians can pull them down so quickly. In real life the walls would protect you not the other way around. I believe its the same way in STronghold too.

sser

Arcane
Developer
LotRII was superior in just about every way. It's such a good game that it is still very playable today.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
LotRII was superior in just about every way. It's such a good game that it is still very playable today.
Sorry for the late reply, but Boleskine necroed the topic first :)
I don't agree at all:
LOTR1 had superior sieges, battles and castle design.
Battles have morale and soldiers are grouped by units instead of the RTS convention of having you lasso them one by one.
as I mentionned somewhere else, it has the best sieges ever seen in a game (but no castle assaults to play on the tac map):

That is a lot of things it does better. However, its dated UI(units get unselected after every order in battle...) and insane amount of micro management makes it harder to play than its younger brother.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom