Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I installed the beta and spent a few hours checking out the starting areas. It was clear to me that just forging ahead is a mistake. I got to the cave near town and quickly realized I had better spend some time preparing my party.

I am seeing influences from HOMM (later King's bounty) style exploration (nice!), some Wizardry influences (lockpicking, traps, combat) right away. I need to spend more time with the interface but I am seeing some nice touches such as quick list access to consumables. I already see 3-4 convenience items that I like.

I'm going to try to limit myself to no more than 5 hours for now but I am happy to have backed this!

Mortmal

Arcane
A well-balanced economy always follows a snowball model. The more you invest into permanent boons like equipment, the less you'll have to pay in food & healing. Vice-versa, overlook equipment (and efficient buffs like blessings) and you'll find yourself constantly starved.

Game needs to explain this better (as in, invest what you have early into equipment). That's feedback which might be useful to see on Steam forums.

There's some of that on steam forums too, it seems i need to focus a lot more on energy on soldiers to get enough damage output as its ability shine.I've put a paladin+ cleric in the group maybe that was too much healing . Also the explorer and rogue does not have enough offensives abilities yet, i just unlocked aimed strikes , not managed to hit with it yet although i ve put agi on the rogue and explorer since the beggining, those two class seems really ineffective in combat.
Some people are using two mages, it seems a good idea.
I guess thats the snwoball effect then not enough dps from the beggning and 11 hours into the game it becomes an avalanche with starvation sttus effects too expensive to remove and lack of good equipment.its hard to know without reading any guide first.

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There's some of that on steam forums too, it seems i need to focus a lot more on energy on soldiers to get enough damage output as its ability shine.I've put a paladin+ cleric in the group maybe that was too much healing . Also the explorer and rogue does not have enough offensives abilities yet, i just unlocked aimed strikes , not managed to hit with it yet although i ve put agi on the rogue and explorer since the beggining, those two class seems really ineffective in combat.
Some people are using two mages, it seems a good idea.
I guess thats the snwoball effect then not enough dps from the beggning and 11 hours into the game it becomes an avalanche with starvation sttus effects too expensive to remove and lack of good equipment.its hard to know without reading any guide first.
Agree, although there's always room for recovery. Sell stuff, and look for encounters which are 'Balanced' or 'Challenging' (or lower in difficulty), à la Kings Bounty on Impossible. Recovering might take a little exploration and party management, but it is very much do-able and can even be quite rewarding once you pull it off.

Working on a FAQ to put up on Steam, relying on the Digital Manual & Guide for some of the documentation turned out to be a mishap in judgment.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Kudos on the in-game codex by the way. Right-clicking on almost anything brings up useful reference info, much like KoTC has.

Cromwell

Arcane
For the stats and fuck ups: I spend most of my statpoints mostly in the things I thought good for the class (mostly the highest stats on the class anyway) I was tempted to put something in constitution or agi to be able to live through some attacks but on the other hand I thought If I die to quickly the reason is my lack of armor (just buying stuff as i get money for it slowly), any advice on stat spending from peoploe who played further than me? I am especially unsure of my cleric, I spend some points in strength and constituition since I wanted him to be a strong magic knight like character, but on the other hand I may run out of energy quickly.

Also it is possible to get trapped in the first town, I went in and the soldier wont let me out and asks for money (like he would if I were outside) luckily I have enough money left to bribe my way outside, I dont know if you would get stuck there if you go in, spend all your coins on adventuring stuff and then get asked to pay. when I tell him "its ok dude I rather stay outside, instead of getting put outside he puts me in again.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
I have toyed with combatspeed in the configuration file and have a couple questions.

In the game, clikcing the normal faster fastest buttons results in setting combatspeed to 1, 2, 3. I tried all the way up to 10 and it seems to work - while retaining full animations. As a side effect, the in game button is set to Normal.
<Simple name="CombatSpeed" value="10" />
results in lightning quick animations.

How does setting combat speed beyond 3 effect other than animation speed? Does it interact with status effects measures in seconds?

Also, can someone explain the mechanics of status effects expressed in seconds in turn based combat?

Mortmal

Arcane
For the stats and fuck ups: I spend most of my statpoints mostly in the things I thought good for the class (mostly the highest stats on the class anyway) I was tempted to put something in constitution or agi to be able to live through some attacks but on the other hand I thought If I die to quickly the reason is my lack of armor (just buying stuff as i get money for it slowly), any advice on stat spending from peoploe who played further than me? I am especially unsure of my cleric, I spend some points in strength and constituition since I wanted him to be a strong magic knight like character, but on the other hand I may run out of energy quickly.

Also it is possible to get trapped in the first town, I went in and the soldier wont let me out and asks for money (like he would if I were outside) luckily I have enough money left to bribe my way outside, I dont know if you would get stuck there if you go in, spend all your coins on adventuring stuff and then get asked to pay. when I tell him "its ok dude I rather stay outside, instead of getting put outside he puts me in again.

You spent your points in the highest stats of the class ? You did wrong, like i did, except on mage , focus on energy as the basic attacks are all blocked evaded and if not they deal very small damage.Looking at my party stats the mage did 37% of all the damage by himself.On the cleric con + energy , agi could help too in theory but ranged mobd will still target and hit him with very high agi i rarely evade .I dont see why putting str and con unless you really want him on the front row able to carry heavy armor, that doesnt seems a good idea he wont be able to heal and deal damage efficiently.
AS for the guard toll you can really be stuck forever.

Mortmal

Arcane
Also just noticed one thing, your low level mage spells deal good damage , you max them out, then you HAVE to invest in the next spell skill becoming available and max it as the first one(spark) damage do no scale at higher level....So its possible in the long term a melee character str based+energy for special move will shine while a mage will be left behind.

Mortmal

Arcane
Unless the new spells rock of course.
Yes but you still have to spend more skill points in the new awesome spell while the other classes will have fully functional scalable abilities they can keep boosting forever. Except bows, they really sucks, not managing to get anything done with them, aimed shot doesnt deal more damage nor add more wounds.

Cromwell

Arcane

You spent your points in the highest stats of the class ? You did wrong, like i did, except on mage , focus on energy as the basic attacks are all blocked evaded and if not they deal very small damage.Looking at my party stats the mage did 37% of all the damage by himself.On the cleric con + energy , agi could help too in theory but ranged mobd will still target and hit him with very high agi i rarely evade .I dont see why putting str and con unless you really want him on the front row able to carry heavy armor, that doesnt seems a good idea he wont be able to heal and deal damage efficiently.

If energy heavy chars (even melee) are the way to go wouldnt that mean a arcane knight is better then a pure soldier? Since he starts outright with a higher energy level? Maybe I should start again, Im barely after the rat cave which I cleared completly with a thief, cleric, bard, mage, soldier. Maybe I swap the cleric for a paladin and the soldier for a arcane warrior. Give the thief a bow instead of the daggers. I must do something wrong here right now its a chore to fight on and every fight is a quickload fest.

Mortmal

Arcane

If energy heavy chars (even melee) are the way to go wouldnt that mean a arcane knight is better then a pure soldier? Since he starts outright with a higher energy level? Maybe I should start again, Im barely after the rat cave which I cleared completly with a thief, cleric, bard, mage, soldier. Maybe I swap the cleric for a paladin and the soldier for a arcane warrior. Give the thief a bow instead of the daggers. I must do something wrong here right now its a chore to fight on and every fight is a quickload fest.

Thats possible, right now(level 10) my soldier basic melee attack is 8(+bleed) , the powerstrike is 40(+2bleed) , but the manapool is far too small, so if the arcane knight get the same powerstrike its probably better.Maybe you can already salvage the soldier and invest a lot more in energy too.I dont recommend swaping cleric for paladin , cleric is a much better healer and later you get divine prayer wich regen energy points.I think putting a paladin in the party was a mistake, the aura heal is far too much energy consuming and theres better options to deal damage.The thief with bow deal 8 damage and sometime one wound ,with aimed shot its just improve accuracy , so if knew that before i would made him with dagger and shield and tank in front row, he can evasion tank , explorer as well .Back row clearly 2 mages at least and the cleric.Worth mentioning i still not got any cure poison spell or remove curse, that 298 gold to remove it by character, far too much.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Saw this from RPGWatch , if you wanna laugh / rage hard

http://www.twinfinite.net/2014/08/08/lords-of-xulima-preview/

Lords of Xulima is a role-playing game, or RPG. It does a fair job of emulating the characteristics of the genre but this is a game that caters to a very specific breed of RPG-gamer: the one that doesn’t care about meaningful characters, style, or the good parts of the genre.

Tl;dr he probably expected a Bioware game

I think I've seen another retarded review posted on the codex from there.

Cromwell

Arcane
How is it possible to remove the sickness I got some time ago fighting rats? the Priestess wont help me, the in doesnt work, resting doesnt work and I didnt find a potion as cure.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Lords of Xulima is a role-playing game, or RPG. It does a fair job of emulating the characteristics of the genre but this is a game that caters to a very specific breed of RPG-gamer: the one that doesn’t care about meaningful characters, style, or the good parts of the genre.

Tl;dr he probably expected a Bioware game

I think I've seen another retarded review posted on the codex from there.

http://www.twinfinite.net/2014/07/10/proud-bioware-fan/
http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/16/baldurs-gate-2-review/
http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/25/blackguards-review-its-like-eating-soup-with-a-fork/

They did like DivOS, though.

Mortmal

Arcane
Thats an awful rewiew, how can he says this game does not cater to the"good parts of the genre". For me its characters and party design/development , i dont care if i can romance and fuck them or not ala bioware, exploration and most especially dungeon exploration , tactical combat .All the game is missing is a bit of tweaking and balancing then its 2nd best rpg of the year , after D:OS.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Waiting on a Codex endorsed review / mini-review before I jump into these waters. Game looks really good but I'd like to know more about the systems to hype me up enough to get it now.

Dorateen

Arcane
It says the author of the review was born in 1989. I was playing Might & Magic II in 1989. Author can go jump off a cliff.
I was born in 1987 and I'm writing our preview with Bee... should I jump as well? :(

Of course not. You have a fine appreciation of computer role-playing games and good tastes. The post I made was in reference to the review, and the author who is obviously a moron, with bias completely on display and no historical context for the game he is writing about.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
It says the author of the review was born in 1989. I was playing Might & Magic II in 1989. Author can go jump off a cliff.

Plus, look at his fucking bowl cut. Very un :obviously:

cb4031a04acde1a11853217921fc2a1f

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Fond of JRPG's, visual novels, and the RTS' of old, gaming preferences are "anything so long as it's got a good story."
So basically, still developing any kind of taste that isn't spoon-fed or nostalgia-driven. This is also a little suspicious, even if the author thought he was writing a decent article, the editor almost certainly knew it wasn't (and let it get published anyway). Thankfully, the comments prove that the Codex's :obviously: influence is ever-expanding.

Still, this is invaluable feedback. Perhaps a waifu can be tossed into the first 15 minutes of the game, for immersion :smug:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was born in 1987 and I'm writing our preview with Bee... should I jump as well? :(

Geez, 1987?! Man, I keep forgetting how old I'm getting. Well, I guess that's one of the first things to go so it.... um, so it.... what was I just talking about.....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom