Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the combat engine looks horrible

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
ou spent your points in the highest stats of the class ? You did wrong, like i did, except on mage , focus on energy as the basic attacks are all blocked evaded and if not they deal very small damage.Looking at my party stats the mage did 37% of all the damage by himself.

Just started playing and saw that screen. I don't exactly understand what the %s measure because for me when I added them up they totaled substantially more than 100.

Also, is picking locks a guessing game?

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
This s worth making a separate post about. My brother also got a steam key but the game will not open on his computer and it says something about an arial font error. Anyone else get that?

In a fit of genius, the game includes a feature whereby the right-mouse button is solely for bringing up the tooltip for whatever it’s highlighting. If it matters, you can get some information about it. In a fit of madness, this is seemingly the only way to discover anything about the game save for long-winded non-interactive tutorial texts.

So save for being told what it is, the only way to learn about something is to ask what it is? Mindboggling

Cromwell

Arcane
Also, is picking locks a guessing game?

Pretty much but you can at least count some ways out. There is always a number of cogs shown, thats the number of cogs in between the start and the end (not counting start and end). So at least you can count a way and when there are to many ? in the way you want to click your going the wrong way. You can save load to not loose to much lock picks but I think the layout of the game is different each time you click on the chest.

Also I am an Idiot, I never actually tried priestess heal just assuming it is just hp/pp healing.

GrimoireFTW

Learned
Fantastic game, im loving it. So far killed the first prince and the beholder. Now working on being strong enough to fight the boss of the divine temple.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
The lock picking game needs work or perhaps someone can explain what I am missing. While it looks neat on first blush, there doesn't seem to be a reason to pick one square over another. So why bother showing them on a grid and give a false sense of choice & strategy at all? Am I missing something?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The lock picking game needs work or perhaps someone can explain what I am missing. While it looks neat on first blush, there doesn't seem to be a reason to pick one square over another. So why bother showing them on a grid and give a false sense of choice & strategy at all? Am I missing something?
It isn't blind luck, you have to consider the number of gears remaining and what path would use those. It's a bit like minefield.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It isn't blind luck, you have to consider the number of gears remaining and what path would use those. It's a bit like minefield.

Oh I guess this is indicated somewhere? I'll check.

Do you know whether the beta is a finished percentage of the game or are all areas being updated?

Mortmal

Arcane

Oh I guess this is indicated somewhere? I'll check.

Do you know whether the beta is a finished percentage of the game or are all areas being updated?

All the areas i crossed were clearly finished no placeholder or empty space , theres some zone transition unavalaible so i am pretty sure its 50% of the finisihed game now.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
This s worth making a separate post about. My brother also got a steam key but the game will not open on his computer and it says something about an arial font error. Anyone else get that?

This problem has been solved. He was missing the font Arial Regular. Easy fix.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik

I am just starting ahd have low lock pick. How do I know how many gears are remaining?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It always shows you that. You can see both the number of lockpicks you still have and the number of gears on the right side of the screen.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone able to share indepth thoughts about the combat? I saw a youtube video of some gameplay and it looked awfully dull. The rest of the game looks great, though.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
So there is nothing that tells you when you have completed a job/quest and even when you go to report it, it is nonobvious what you have to do to get credit for it.

Cromwell

Arcane
So there is nothing that tells you when you have completed a job/quest and even when you go to report it, it is nonobvious what you have to do to get credit for it.

You have your questlog with active missions. Dont know about later but every quest I did was noted in my log, for example get x spores from the mushroom mother fuckers, then I had to check my Inventory to see how much I had, more or less obvious. Is there any point in pushing str for more damage or should I just wait for better weapons, whenever that will be?

Don Peste

Arcane
Saw this from RPGWatch , if you wanna laugh / rage hard

http://www.twinfinite.net/2014/08/08/lords-of-xulima-preview/

Lords of Xulima is a role-playing game, or RPG. It does a fair job of emulating the characteristics of the genre but this is a game that caters to a very specific breed of RPG-gamer: the one that doesn’t care about meaningful characters, style, or the good parts of the genre.

Tl;dr he probably expected a Bioware game

I think I've seen another retarded review posted on the codex from there.
He does point out some interesting info:

Lords of Xulima is a role-playing game, or RPG.
Lords of Xulima, which is pronounced “shoo-LEE-ma” but spelled “Xulima” because it looks way cooler
By the time the game started I was ready to quit
Lords of Xulima is handled with the mouse and keyboard
The ambient sounds and background music are similarly trite, echoing games from the 90s.
I wonder what games from the 90s he remembers. Bart vs. the Space Mutants?

BTW, is he a native English speaker?

BTW, is he a native English speaker?
I would guess yes, because only a native speaker could write so poorly. A non-native speaker who learnt English formally would know how to conjugate the verb "to be" appropriately. He would not write clunky spoken diction like 'it starts being even more boring', but rather 'it becomes even more boring'. Teh rEview is awesum lulz th0:

'... better get some wind in yer sails and search for greener pastures'

Holy mixed metaphor Batman!

Much like a Bioware lead designer, he knows what he wants from an RPG without actually knowing what an RPG is.

katyafrost

Novice
The game is being made by 1+ people, and the reviewer totally neglects that fact. Some may argue that team size nor budget should matter when it comes to reviewing a game. I feel this is a disservice to small gaming teams as amazing gems like "Dungeons of Dredmor" might then be swept under the rug for not having the art budget of a Bioware game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
To be fair, Baldur's Gate 2 was also made by 1+ people and was a lot more polished than Xulima.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom