Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

roshan

Arcane
But it seem to make sense - i mean 40lvl = 80pp? Ist it worth it if later casts are like 100-200pp ? 160HP seems nice. As far as i understand, enemies will shoot back row anyway - thus, the casters must survive the heavy hits?

68 pp casted as divine healing will heal your caster around 400 HP. 80 pp casted as mass heal will heal all your party members an average of 120 hp.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
But it seem to make sense - i mean 40lvl = 80pp? Ist it worth it if later casts are like 100-200pp ? 160HP seems nice. As far as i understand, enemies will shoot back row anyway - thus, the casters must survive the heavy hits?

If you have cleric - your mages will do OK with low hp.

You really dont need that extra hp. But you need extra mana.

set

Cipher
I think it's important to balance speed vs energy. If you have high speed, low pp - what the fuck is your fast caster going to do each turn? Scrolls? And if you have high energy, low speed, then you will have a less effective caster.

HP is secondary. You can kind of bypass it to some extent if you invest in armor or resists with skill points?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Physical Rewards
Apologies to all the backer because of the long delay of the physical rewards. We have waited to have the GOG DRM-free version to include the same standalone installer in the DVDs. As all backers who purchased the physical editions already have a Steam Key, those backers will get both versions. We expect to start the production next week, and start the shipments in about 10 days. We will inform you with the progress.

:dance:

jdinatale

Cipher
Got to the second city and 20 hours in. Is the whole game going to be just a copy and paste of this formula?

I definitely feel like I got my money's worth, but I'm not convinced it's worth slogging through.

Thoughts?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I think it's important to balance speed vs energy. If you have high speed, low pp - what the fuck is your fast caster going to do each turn? Scrolls? And if you have high energy, low speed, then you will have a less effective caster.

HP is secondary. You can kind of bypass it to some extent if you invest in armor or resists with skill points?

When i write "better take EN instead of Con for mages" i assume that 2nd stat choice is always SPD (both for EN or CON choice).

V_K

Arcane
Got to the second city and 20 hours in. Is the whole game going to be just a copy and paste of this formula?
Well, yes and no.
Yes - in that there are a lot of repeating elements (castles, towers, temples, shrines, imps).
No - in that despite a formulaic frame actual level design is fairly creative (at least up until late mid-game), and each land has a fair share of unique elements too.

The funny thing about LoX is the way it turns a lot of traditional RPG aspects upside down: it has a preset PC with player-generated party, iso explorations with blobber combat. Its quest and level design shows the same principle: while in most games quests have different narratives but repetitive challenges, LoX gives you the same quests over and over again, but the actual content of these quests is fairly unique each time around.

miles teg

Scholar
I like the fact that some people like pumping EN and some others like pumping CON with casters. Right now I'm pumping both of them, alternating. The other attr. I pump is speed obviously. I now have some problems with Yul herald, in Febret temple. That guy is rough!

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
yup, thats the toughest enemy I've encountered so far too, i think. You can't even go somewhere else to level up a bit at this point. I defeated him eventually after I grabbed almost every single buff the priestess offered.

miles teg

Scholar
The problem is that I have 3 people cursed (I hate those fucking hounds) and 2 nauseated as well. So to remove all that AND to apply the buffs I'd go from 4k coins to basically zero...

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Screw the curses. They are not as terrible as they sound, you might as well keep them for a while. Sickness depends. Also, as soon as you've beaten the herald, you'll start to swim in money anyways. I found this temple to be a big turning point in terms of difficulty. Do you play normal or hc?

miles teg

Scholar
I play veteran. Anyway there are several areas I still have to clean, but too bad random encounters don't give money (very realistic though: why should a giant chicken drop money when killed?)

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
If some pcs are close to a levelup it is still worth the effort tho. Anyways, since you play on veteran, money won't be that limited after the fight any more, so you might as well throw in all you have for prebuffs and scrolls.

roshan

Arcane
Well, yes and no.
Yes - in that there are a lot of repeating elements (castles, towers, temples, shrines, imps).
No - in that despite a formulaic frame actual level design is fairly creative (at least up until late mid-game), and each land has a fair share of unique elements too.

The funny thing about LoX is the way it turns a lot of traditional RPG aspects upside down: it has a preset PC with player-generated party, iso explorations with blobber combat. Its quest and level design shows the same principle: while in most games quests have different narratives but repetitive challenges, LoX gives you the same quests over and over again, but the actual content of these quests is fairly unique each time around.

Really liked how many dungeons from the midgame towards the end are exclusively about puzzles, secrets and traps, with no combat, or very little combat. Also, I haven't seen an RPG where you have to navigate and perfectly time permanent traps and environmental effects since NOX! Awesome to see that aspect of gameplay revived, but fit into a completely different kind of RPG. Also really like that after your character detects a secret door with his skill, you still need to find the trigger, very nice way to get the player "involved" with the dungeon.

All in all, such a unique game, and completely bug free, a very solid offering from first time developers. Looking forward to the sequel, fingers crossed that it gets made.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
While I generally agree with your post,
Also really like that after your character detects a secret door with his skill, you still need to find the trigger, very nice way to get the player "involved" with the dungeon.
Seriously? This was the stupidest shit in the game! If I want to play a hidden object game, I grab some Where's Waldo book.

Baxander

Augur
Just grabbed this off GoG yesterday. Love it, so far. Although it has it's minor flaws, it really takes me back to the past with a nice modernization attached to it. Not sure if the nostalgia will wear off, but for now I'm a fan.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not really sure how I feel about this game. On one hand LoX has

-Good'ol school gameplay,
-Nice combat, have good variaton of spells and skills,
-More than enough options for party setup,
-Good visuals ,
-Some exploring with puzzles

on the other hand,

-Its a RNG fest, I especially hate it when it comes to combat initiative. I like me some RNG but this is just too much.
-Loot is beyond shit, after exploring a dead kings/queens tomb ,which is filled with traps, puzzles and undead, I want get me hands on some phat l00t, not helmet of 14 electrical resistance... This really kills games exploration part.
(Most RPGs released this year had this problem Div.O.S., WL2, MMXL, DF:DC. at least WL2 had some "hand placed loot" via toasters"
-Shops stinks too, thanks to their inferior products I began to swim in gold after level 15.
-Game is too long for its own good. Combat becomes boring after a while because of HP bloats and some random encounters are pain in the ass. I dunno if I was able to finish this game without my banshee bard. They are not boring just take long. And having repeative monsters after a while not helps that cause.
-Some voice overs are ridicilous. I'm having nightmares yelling "I'M THE MASTER"

I really like the game but it that edges are a bit rough for me liking. I hope they fix those issues for next games, assuming this'll be a trilogy.

roshan

Arcane
I think there is just enough RNG to keep you on your toes, thought the RNG was actually handled quite well. What I'd like to see in a sequel:

1. Even more interactive dungeons and more undisarmable traps, like walls that smash in or rotate, or spikes that protrude from the ground at intervals.
2. Hand placed loot, aside from the random stuff that's already there, and more prefixes and suffixes for the random loot.
3. Less bloat, the core character system is solid, but bloats due to the numerous stat buffs all over the game and the frequent levels. They could fix the system by simply increasing XP needed to level, and making enemies do more damage but have less HP.
4. More spells, and also more abilities for front line warriors, such as maybe attacks that can target multiple enemies, that should allow high level parties to quickly wipe out low level foes.
5. A few additional character classes wouldn't hurt either.
6. New environments with new dangers attached, really liked how exploring deserts, tundra, swamps and other environments came with unique challenges.
7. Greater variety of enemy attacks and more enemy variety to keep things interesting at higher levels.
8. More freedom to roam around and explore.

Basically just tighten things up, shorter game would actually be better, otherwise more of everything that made the game good.

miles teg

Scholar
I think there is just enough RNG to keep you on your toes, thought the RNG was actually handled quite well. What I'd like to see in a sequel:

1. Even more interactive dungeons and more undisarmable traps, like walls that smash in or rotate, or spikes that protrude from the ground at intervals.
2. Hand placed loot, aside from the random stuff that's already there, and more prefixes and suffixes for the random loot.
3. Less bloat, the core character system is solid, but bloats due to the numerous stat buffs all over the game and the frequent levels. They could fix the system by simply increasing XP needed to level, and making enemies do more damage but have less HP.
4. More spells, and also more abilities for front line warriors, such as maybe attacks that can target multiple enemies, that should allow high level parties to quickly wipe out low level foes.
5. A few additional character classes wouldn't hurt either.
6. New environments with new dangers attached, really liked how exploring deserts, tundra, swamps and other environments came with unique challenges.
7. Greater variety of enemy attacks and more enemy variety to keep things interesting at higher levels.
8. More freedom to roam around and explore.

Basically just tighten things up, shorter game would actually be better, otherwise more of everything that made the game good.

I agree pretty much with everything you said. Although I'd like more balancing with the current classes, rather than adding new ones. But I definitely loved the interactive dungeons idea. I think it's what really makes this game different.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Making Gaulen an interesting character to play instead of a non-combat skill bot with envenomed strike would be cool too. Or just letting the player to choose his class and tacking the explorer shit on top of that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom