Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't encountered any actual riddles from the imps.

While the Arcane Soldier is ok'ish, I would've preferred him to have more unique abilities. More stuff like flaming and frost strike, although a tad more useful. Flaming strike has been useful a couple of times, but usually you want to use the soldier strikes rather than the AS strikes. And I haven't really seen the point of getting him heavily into the mage spell side. I was kind of thinking he'd be more of a melee dude with elemental attacks when I rolled him, but he's pretty much a tad weaker soldier at the moment.

I feel like the game would've benefited vastly from having some hand placed powerful unique items. At the moment getting new equipment feels really meh once you've reached a certain point.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
That's really putting the words in my mouth. I'm not saying the game is shit, more like slightly above average with many issues. I'm somewhat baffled and don't understand why so many people in the thread value it so highly. Maybe they've never played similar rpgs? Maybe they haven't progressed that far? Because the first 15 hours or so (not sure about exact number) are much better than the rest. The game is tighter and more challenging there. And it's not like there's much in it apart from combat - say, exploration gets praised here, but what is there to find apart from more combats?

Another thing with the remaining part of the game is that monsters don't really show anything interesting. There are way too much of HP bloat monsters. There are not enough smart party compositions - there are some, but they're not exactly synergistic with each other. And, as I've said, to get to the challenging encounters you have to grind through the entire area. Which is really not fun - most areas have much more encounters than you could naturally explore (some ridiculously so - easiest example is the Sorrentia road, it's a small strip that has about 15-20 encounters with low chance of them happening). So it's a grindy overstretched game with forgettable story. Which has its good parts but, as it's usual with the grindy games, they drown in the tedium.

But I can't say I understand the Codex anymore so what do I know.

And, in terms of guides - it's just that I'm more interested in writing guides and making videos atm than playing games, lol. As I have enough spare time on my hands - why not?
Good points actually. I am 20 hours in and I find your many of your observations correct. I guess I would never write a guide for a game unless I LOVE it so I asked the question.

I used the words boring and shit because you used them to describe various aspects of the game. In fairness, you didn't generalize when you used them.

Last edited:

Renegen

Arcane
My Arcane Soldier is pretty decent, his fire attack if you keep it at a low PP level does like 3x or 4x the damage of a normal sword attack when you consider the burning effect. That's the only thing my party is somewhat good at, single target dps. I have to say Gaulan is a massive shitter, he gets no combat skills whatsoever, not that he can afford them.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
That's really putting the words in my mouth. I'm not saying the game is shit, more like slightly above average with many issues. I'm somewhat baffled and don't understand why so many people in the thread value it so highly. Maybe they've never played similar rpgs? Maybe they haven't progressed that far? Because the first 15 hours or so (not sure about exact number) are much better than the rest. The game is tighter and more challenging there. And it's not like there's much in it apart from combat - say, exploration gets praised here, but what is there to find apart from more combats?

Another thing with the remaining part of the game is that monsters don't really show anything interesting. There are way too much of HP bloat monsters. There are not enough smart party compositions - there are some, but they're not exactly synergistic with each other. And, as I've said, to get to the challenging encounters you have to grind through the entire area. Which is really not fun - most areas have much more encounters than you could naturally explore (some ridiculously so - easiest example is the Sorrentia road, it's a small strip that has about 15-20 encounters with low chance of them happening). So it's a grindy overstretched game with forgettable story. Which has its good parts but, as it's usual with the grindy games, they drown in the tedium.

But I can't say I understand the Codex anymore so what do I know.

And, in terms of guides - it's just that I'm more interested in writing guides and making videos atm than playing games, lol. As I have enough spare time on my hands - why not?
Good points actually. I am 20 hours in and I find your observations correct. I guess I would never write a guide for a game unless I LOVE it so I asked the question.

I used the words boring and shit because you used them to describe various aspects of the game. In fairness, you didn't generalize when you used them.

Interesting to read others views. I came to the Codex looking for good RPG and had no expectations what you guys were about.

What I found was a community that really knows its stuff. I read about many games that I had never heard off. What's more - often when a game tweaked my curiosity and I read the threads - I found you guys were already well on the case giving pages and PAGES of opinion and detail.

LoX was the first game I picked of Codex and found it everything I was looking for.

Spent 12 pounds on a pre release version and have exactly 57 hours on record playing it. I have not finished it as at one point I was waiting for the final release. Whilst playing it I really enjoyed the challenge, music and graphics. There are a few things I did not like so much such as the too harsh food mechanic, font sizes and that often you would encounter something that was just too powerful.

Saying that I really respect those guys that play the game on Hardcore mode - impressive.

For a small independent developer - this game is might be amazing - I found no bugs in my play through.

I can't follow the story either. I was looking for a Bard's Tale type game with group turn based combat - this game exceeded all my expectations.

Maybe I was starting at a low point -

Solid RPG - no doubt about it.

cw8

Cipher
Venom strike IS excellent, this is true. It's funny that the rogue doesn't get anything like that, would make sense, but nope.

Yeah exactly. They don't get any backstab type strikes either. Their Shurikens though are exceedingly good, bleed dot is very high as well. Too bad Shurikens are limited.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I have to say Gaulan is a massive shitter, he gets no combat skills whatsoever, not that he can afford them.

His venom strike is darn good especially when maxed.
Venom strike IS excellent, this is true. It's funny that the rogue doesn't get anything like that, would make sense, but nope.

Well, Xulima's Thief isn't a classic fantasy thief in many ways. He has one of the highest hit point ratios in the game, relatively speaking. He's pretty good with some armor and a shield.

Renevent

Cipher
And it kind of makes sense that Gaulen get's it anyways, since he's basically a ranger who is all into nature and shit.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I have to say Gaulan is a massive shitter, he gets no combat skills whatsoever, not that he can afford them.

Well, Xulima's Thief isn't a classic fantasy thief in many ways. He has one of the highest hit point ratios in the game, relatively speaking. He's pretty good with some armor and a shield.

I had my thief on the front row. Right to say she was a decent fighter. In LoX front row or back row choice - my thief much better option in the front. I mostly trained Lockpicking and Trap Disarming - she was not the main damage dealer. The other thing I did was to train Shruriken which would help with some of the tougher fights due to the bleeding damage.

Gaulan, also on the front row - was the Explorer Class - something new. Trained to pick mushrooms and pansies. The Camouflage skill was essential for me to explore and avoid combat in many instances. Had a high perception skill to detect secrets and avoid traps.

It was interesting how the designers put the class system together - lots of variety, but then difficult to cross over as thief skills for Gaulen were more expensive - I think. If you dropped a thief you might have had to put Gaulen in the back row and developed him different.

The whole character development just felt like a tight ship - you need to live with the choices you make

Renegen

Arcane
Sawyer would have an aneurism, a character that has more non-combat skills than combat skills like the Explorer? Another class that is exclusively for combat like the Soldier? Having to pick between what skills you want to max and what to ignore? No STR mages? GG, 0/10 you're fired, no place in our industry.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sawyer would have an aneurism, a character that has more non-combat skills than combat skills like the Explorer? Another class that is exclusively for combat like the Soldier? Having to pick between what skills you want to max and what to ignore? No STR mages? GG, 0/10 you're fired, no place in our industry.

Out of all those things, only the part about characters with more non-combat skills is something Sawyer dislikes, and this game is actually very Sawyery in that each class has obvious strengths in combat. Sawyer probably wouldn't mind Gaulen being less great at combat since he's mandatory, as well.

FYI, one of the points where I disagree most strongly with Sawyer is his dislike for non-parallel classes where some are good at combat and some at other things... or rather, I disagree with him when it comes to party-based singleplayer RPGs. I actually agree with him when it comes to P&P. Point is, the stuff about skills he wouldn't mind, and Lords of Xulima has a surprising amount of Balance shown for example by the fact that all stats are almost useful for all classes. It's a pretty Sawyerist stat system except for the way damage is keyed to them.

Xulima's skill system and stat system is all about trying to make you choose about equally good things (balance) and not being able to pick them all (balance). It's downright Sawyerist.

EDIT: what Sawyer wouldn't like is the way resourcemanagement works, I think, and the random element of combat. On the other hand the inventory system is something taken out of his dreams. If he could make PoE's inventory like that, he probably would.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane

Yeah, I rolled with the default party and my thief's been in the front row too. Pretty good, but honestly a kinda shit arsenal, except the ninja stars.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yeah, I rolled with the default party and my thief's been in the front row too. Pretty good, but honestly a kinda shit arsenal, except the ninja stars.

Shurikens are p. powerful though.

TigerKnee

Arcane
If you're going to create an RPG where some classes are better than others at out of combat stuff, you should totally make more than 1 of them so that you aren't forced to cart around the one and only Thief class though in your party comp.

Well, I guess this game technically has 2 if you count Explorer, but he has his own super special gathering skills and shit which is going to eat up most of his points.

I think they could use 1 or 2 more classes with better non-combat support.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Say, what's up with the more advanced weapons having really low attack ratings?

Is it like that so only fighters who are well-specced into them can wield them properly?

Is it worth it to have 1 extra "damage" while the attack ratings suffers -15 points?

Angthoron

Arcane

Shurikens are p. powerful though.
Yeah, they're amazing on clearing out shit that outlevels you. Also bosses. Got good stats in Shurikens, 50-70 damage per throw plus insane amount of bleed? Don't mind if I do.

Other OP shit against strong single/paired opponents is Wound spam. Stack to 25+ and nothing can hit you.

Is it like that so only fighters who are well-specced into them can wield them properly?

Is it worth it to have 1 extra "damage" while the attack ratings suffers -15 points?
Something I still wonder about too. In fact for a while I ran around with total shit weapons and wondered how bronze shortsword is worse than an iron greatsword.

Sinatar

Arbiter

Seems to be a 2 handed weapon vs. 1 handed weapon thing.

Vadio

Scholar
Been playing this quite fun.

Anyone have any advice on how to take advantage of the medallion's power? I was thinking of using it to give XP to the entire party.

And does the Barbarian gain any useful abilities? Rage seems rather lackluster.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
After reading Pope Amole II's awesome guide... and going to play this...

16C0C614330CB02BC95ADDCE79DA7EE0027818F5

:happytrollboy:

V_K

Arcane
I think the screenshot above makes it perfectly clear. Jasede even looks rather effeminate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom