Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That looks great, can't wait to get it

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The hardcover bestiary looks great!! Can't wait to receive mine and then I might actually play the game as it is supposed to be played... with my map and bestiary sitting on my desk next to me. :obviously:

On a slow work day I actually printed the game guide myself. It's always great to be able to have an actual book to use while playing the game.

lpdHyZg.jpg

sfuXO5B.jpg

old numbers

Literate
How are divine summoners? Planning on rerolling because my scrub ass party is shit and they seem alright, but word online seems to be that they're terrible.

T. Reich

Arcane
You probably read the wrong word.

I've read that they're quite good, but you gotta build a party around them - make sure they can act first in combat, summon 2x strong summons (valvet/taliet + raznet/nalaet/golot) asap.

The sample party could look something like this:
Gaulen(melee+support) | paladin(melee+aura of protection)/barbarian/soldier | thief(melee+shurikens+traps) | cleric(frontline no-attack tank + healing)
<summon 1> | bard(buffs+bow) | <summon 2> | divine summoner

And you should totally feed the summoner most of SP-boosting consumables.

I haven't tried the summoner myself, but based on my playthrough of the game, it's quite a sensible approach, and I would definitely try it out when doing a repeat playthrough in the future.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
How are divine summoners? Planning on rerolling because my scrub ass party is shit and they seem alright, but word online seems to be that they're terrible.

I didn't try them in my first playthrough, but I think the consensus is that they are an interesting, yet challenging class.

From my experience the mandatory characters in a party are a Soldier-type that deals heavy blunt damage and stuns enemies and a Priest. The Priest is by far the most important character in LoX. Other than that a thief that throws shurikens is always good to have and mage is useful for dealing mass damage early-mid game.

T. Reich

Arcane
For myself, I've found that the mage starts to shine approximately from midgame onward. They are still quite good early on, since they would deal more average damage per hit vs single targets than your fighters, but their PP pool is fairly limited. In late game, once they get that essence steal spell, they become much more pleasant to play with.

I wouldn't say that a stunner is a must, but they are certainly useful.

My first (and only) playthrough was with a back row buff/heal cleric, a mage for magic aoe, bard that could buff and could also shoot a bow quite well, and I used Gaulen with axes, paladin with maces and a thief with katanas+shurikens to hold the front line.
Anyway, I think that any type of attack debuff (bleed/wound/stun) is really strong as long as you have 2 guys who can deal that kind of damage. Stuns are good, but so are wounds if you can stack them quickly. 10+ wounds pretty much disable any non-boss tier enemy, and 20+ wounds disable anyone (if they're still alive by then). And if you have 2 guys (or even 1) who can apply bleed, any non-undead battle becomes very easy and fast.

Cleric is totally a must though, I agree there. I would also argue that a thief is also indispensable, with their shurikens and cheap trap and lockpick skills (really takes the SP deficiency stress off Gaulen).

agris

Arcane
Patron
Do the same types of debuffs applied from different characters stack? Like if CharA makes a NPC bleed, can CharB stack another bleed on him?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Do the same types of debuffs applied from different characters stack? Like if CharA makes a NPC bleed, can CharB stack another bleed on him?
Yep. This applies to all the debuffs and the same char can stack more when it's his turn again, although at the same time debuffs shrink each turn too.

T. Reich

Arcane
Yep. This applies to all the debuffs and the same char can stack more when it's his turn again, although at the same time debuffs shrink each turn too.

The over-time debuff degeneration only applies in significant values to burning (available to mage or arcane soldier mostly) and posion (only Gaulen has it). Bleed does lose its potency over time, but much, much slower than the former.
Wounds do not degenerate with time, which is really good in boss battles.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah wounds stay on the target permanently, unless they can get rid of them (a few bosses can remove them).

T. Reich

Arcane
Yeah wounds stay on the target permanently, unless they can get rid of them (a few bosses can remove them).

Yeah, actually a good half of late game bosses can cure wounds.
There's a great counter-strategy, though, if you happen to have a mage in a party. That essence steal spell become even more useful than it already is because you can simply suck up all the juice from those bosses, and than they can't cast cure wounds. And if you have a couple of guys hacking at them with wounding weapons, it means that they can't hit you as often or as hard, and your attacks hit them more often.

Black

Arcane
Wounds are sick good, making monsters who normally hit like a truck barely nibble.

T. Reich

Arcane
Wounds are sick good, making monsters who normally hit like a truck barely nibble.

Totally. My party had a bard using bows and Gaulen using axes, and both did shit damage until I got them high-grade weapons in the second half of the game. They still did shit damage:lol:, but those wounds really do stack up, so it was all good.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I didn't understand that whole wound mechanic until later in the game. I sadly was completely focused on finding weapons that stun or cause bleeding.

old numbers

Literate
Party I settled on:

thief (sword) / paladin (mace) / soldier (axe)
Gaelun (bow) / mage / cleric

I tried the divine summoner, and the healing herald was good but I didn't like how passive the rest of the class felt. Not so sure about the paladin either, I feel like I could swap him out for another soldier or a barbarian. Still, been satisfied with it so far.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The Paladin's abilities are very nice. My only complaint with them is they miss almost 99% of the fucking time. You need to raise the stat that effects accuracy for them. I forget what that is though.

T. Reich

Arcane
Paladin is worth it just for the aura of protection. His combat skills are more SP-expensive than soldier's, but he's pretty good regardless.

Cadmus

Arcane
I started playing the last week and it's been much fun. I made a party of Palading, Mage, Cleric, Barbarian and Thief and on the highest difficulty it's so goddamn difficult!
I'm constantly without food (is the limit 4andfull days the maximum or will I get more later?) All the status effects stacking really fucks me up, there's a bunch of raptors that I just cant kill cuz they bleed me to death, the fucking arcane beasts hunt me at night (can anybody confirm this - I should have not killed the first one because now 2 appear and fuck me up even more so if I kill them 3 will be appearing?)

I'm now in the tower of melacholy, getting fucked by the traps. I'm lvl 5-6, cleared all areas in the first map except for the fucking ogre which I assume I'll come back to kill at lvl 20 or something or is there a trick? The low quest reward seems to suggest I should do it now..?

I can't even touch the guards in the 2nd map, cleared the hunting grounds but can't kill anything around there that's not a random encounter.

I'm starting to understand that the status effects are the most important. Is my party fucked or will I find some good effects on weapons soon?
Can somebody explain Stun to me? I see Stun 3 Stun 4 hitting the enemy but sometimes they round gets moved down, sometimes they get stunned for a while, how does it work?

I really like the art, the music is a bit weak but whatever.

T. Reich

Arcane
The limit is 6 full days. It's more than enough for any non-rough terrain, and is good enough for any moderately-rough terrain with Gaulen's skill. It's barely enough for the harshest terrain (2 such locations) on medium difficulty with Gaulen's skill maxed.
On the highest difficulty, you want that skill of Gaulen maxed ASAP, and you might want not to spend food too rashly. Consider healing at temple or resting at tavern to conserve food, if that's what's keeping you back.

The infernal hounds will keep attacking you regularly with certain time intervals, and each next fight will be a little harder, with more hounds, or stronger hounds as well. They will only stop if you complete a certain late-game quest.

Status effects are evil, but you can also use them. It pays to keep around enough anti-status healing items.

Traps are very hard-hitting, so having a thief who can detect and disarm them is very important.

Given the quasi-free exploration nature of LoX, it should be pretty obvious that Ogre is not supposed to be attacked immediately, because it will kill you easily. The early game is not very flexible in clear order though. You want to finish clearing the Tower right now, and then go to the temple. That should give you enough experience to explore other areas and kill monsters there.

If you're not using the blessings, start doing that immediately. Early on, ALL of the blessings are must-have. You will quickly notice why.

Stun basically adds to the recovery time of the affected character. Since move order also depends on the ither factors, the results of the same length stun can be sometimes different. But stun is always a good thing.

roshan

Arcane
I started playing the last week and it's been much fun. I made a party of Palading, Mage, Cleric, Barbarian and Thief and on the highest difficulty it's so goddamn difficult!
I'm constantly without food (is the limit 4andfull days the maximum or will I get more later?) All the status effects stacking really fucks me up, there's a bunch of raptors that I just cant kill cuz they bleed me to death, the fucking arcane beasts hunt me at night (can anybody confirm this - I should have not killed the first one because now 2 appear and fuck me up even more so if I kill them 3 will be appearing?)

I'm now in the tower of melacholy, getting fucked by the traps. I'm lvl 5-6, cleared all areas in the first map except for the fucking ogre which I assume I'll come back to kill at lvl 20 or something or is there a trick? The low quest reward seems to suggest I should do it now..?

I can't even touch the guards in the 2nd map, cleared the hunting grounds but can't kill anything around there that's not a random encounter.

I'm starting to understand that the status effects are the most important. Is my party fucked or will I find some good effects on weapons soon?
Can somebody explain Stun to me? I see Stun 3 Stun 4 hitting the enemy but sometimes they round gets moved down, sometimes they get stunned for a while, how does it work?

I really like the art, the music is a bit weak but whatever.

Yeah, pump Gaulen's skill that increases movement rate, you will require less food to get around. Also put one point in the skill that increases the fog of war distance. You will find skillbooks later that can increase this further, so no need to put more than 1 point.

Most weapons are ordinary, just increases in damage as you find better stuff. Axes inflict wounds, swords bleed, and maces stun. Itemization isn't one of the game's strong points. You will be able to inflict status effects a bit later though when you get access to the skills. Buy shurikens from the town, you can only buy 3 at a time, so buy them whenever you go back to town. They do awesome damage, and inflict terrible bleeding. Keep your rogue's shuriken skill maxed. Gather cereal plants, you can use them as a backup food source, they don't count towards your daily limit, and carry some travel crystals just in case.

Your characters have a speed stat, it determines how quickly they can attack, with every level, pump speed, it's important to keep this maxed on all characters. Stun basically moves enemies down the order, so you delay their attacks, but sometimes, if the duration inflicted is too short, it may not move them down at all.

You will probably have to take on the ogre later on. Getting blessings from the priest can be a substantial boost at low levels.

Really great game!

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Itemization isn't one of the game's strong points.
You mean weapon related status effects. Itemization was mediocre at best. Yep. There are no special items and each weapon is randomly generated with bland stats. Weapons being gradually slightly better than your old ones... matching the linear nature of the game.

EDIT: failed reading comprehension.

Last edited:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The best moment so far was when my party got gud enough to clear that fucking mushroom field north of Velegarn. My main pet peeve is how detecting traps works. Having to move around gets annoying fast. Even with having spent a point on Perception during every level up of my Rogue I walk face first into traps a lot of the time.

Is it long-term viable for front line characters to specialize in two weapon classes? I found a really nice sword but my guys are currently all using axes/maces.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom