Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
LoG definitely did not have a shitty combat compared to the average standard of the games it tried to emulate, nor was anything else shit in it apart from the skill system (which was hardly a throwback to the old rt blobbers anyway). It even had very good production values and decent atmosphere, so two things pretty much every one of these recent "we gonna make crpgs great again" products utterly and completely fails at. Like I said, what MMX was trying to achieve is arguably much more ambitious, but I'm not someone giving much credit for trying.

The bottom line is that most RPG's have only these two archetypes when it comes down to it. Even a Bard is a somewhat different spellcaster.
Yeah, if you gonna go full retard then why even bother replying.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You guys should try to get a game called Minions of Mirth. It is maybe the ultimate 'blobber'.
That doesn't look too promising. Is the combar TB?
No it is realtime with no pausing. You have to think fast and act fast. But if you don't like being rushed you can just pick 2 or 3 characters. Tank, healer, damage. You can always add more later. It is not a simple game though, you really need to setup macros to heal your characters and stuff.

Also Lady why did you vote Sorcery Quest meh?

Because
Wait... you are judging a blobber based on graphics?! You have to actually PLAY it before you judge it. It is free. Yeah it is 2d graphics with evil mushrooms but the gameplay is all there and it is good as Lords of Xulima, if not better. It certainly has better music and maybe better combat.

I could actually play this if it was a normal game and not a stupid browser free-to-play.
You should play it anyway. You can play it without spending anything, and being free and in a browser doesn't affect much. It is really good. I spent about $30 years ago, which is $30 more than I ever spent on any other browser game.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
sorcery_quest_02.jpg
I could actually play this if it was a normal game and not a stupid browser free-to-play.

I actually played Sorcery Quest some years ago during university lectures. It's an alright game but has limitations, like some classes being unavailable and limited number of things you can do per day, unless you pay money.

It's basically a worse version of Etrian Odyssey with microtransactions. Just play EO instead.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think you can get all the classes now. I have more than can fit in my party. But I never heard of EO so maybe that is better.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
LoG definitely did not have a shitty combat compared to the average standard of the games it tried to emulate

I disagree. If it had a healer I would agree it is more or less average, but it doesn't. And plenty of 20+ year old games were better than it.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So how many games in the last 10 years were better than it? It's not like we have so much to choose from, unless you're into JRPG stuff.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
So how many games in the last 10 years were better than it? It's not like we have so much to choose from, unless you're into JRPG stuff.
Lots of games are better than LoG, and most games are bad now. Any MMO in the past 10 years is better and lots of single player games. Even the whole Dragon Age series was better. And anything from the 90s or before was better. The whole Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, M&M, etc series are better than LoG. I liked the puzzles but the combat was completely worthless. It was also repetitive and boring. There was no trading, hardly any character building, etc. It was so overhyped.

If it had a healer I would agree it is more or less average, but it doesn't.
Who let the new retard out?
You are the retard if you think spamming potions is better than a healer class.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I dunno why people who hate Lands of Lore / Dungeon Master / Eye of the Beholder (timeless RPG classics) talk shit about Grimrock, a game trying to emulate those games.
And yes, Grimrock has /much/ better combat, while still being true to the genre. Enemies have special movement powers and attacks and in general, tanking is much more possible especially factoring in spells.
A fine game for fans of the real-time blobber.

Of course, then you get geniuses who walk into a superhero movie and complain that it's a movie about superheroes instead of submarines. Maybe they should review and compare submarine movies to one another, not apples to oranges.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I agree with you. Just wanted to point out that mixing Dungeon Master up with Dungeon Keeper always amused me

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I... already explained that. It has special attacks for the monsters and the party, making movement far more tactical. Enemies can leap, attack their sides, some even side-step like the annoying branch-things in LoG 2. It's far more static in both games you named; combat consists of mambo + rapidly clicking attacks whenever they come up. There is no need to consider many of these special movement patters for large swathes of these games, nor do they spice things up with special attacks for your fighters.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It has 1 or 2 tricks older games didn't have but it is mostly the same. But then older games had more spells and more to do in general. In EOB you have enemies that steal your gear if you don't kite them, and stuff immune to magic, really nasty nukes that you have to sidestep no different to the big ogre things in LoG, and you also have huge armies that you unleash when you open a door and you have to backtrack miles to safety and then deal with them in bits. And you have to do it while keeping your party healed with tiny little low level cleric heals. Saying LoG has much better combat is just wrong and dumb.

20+ years later and all this technology and they didn't improve on something. The only step forward was the graphics.

V_K

Arcane
In EOB you have enemies that steal your gear if you don't kite them
LoG2 has those too (toads, who also tend to jump over you and attack you from an unexpected side).
and stuff immune to magic
LoG2 has those too (air elementals - immune to everything save one special spell and one special weapon)
And it also has underwater combat where you can't use spells or normal weapons, only tridents (while constantly - and quickly - losing energy and health).
really nasty nukes that you have to sidestep
LoG2 has those too (and not just the ogres, but also medusas whose attacks petrify your characters).
you also have huge armies that you unleash when you open a door and you have to backtrack miles to safety and then deal with them in bits
Guess what?

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah but what does it have that eob or lol don't have? Like 3 minor things. It is basically the same thing but with graphics whore graphics and a few changes.

V_K

Arcane
Enemies movement patterns are far from minor, they greatly affect the way combat plays. Especially given that many setpieces (unlike LoL and EoB, though not unlike DM) take environments into account in interesting ways. And there's a boss you fight several times through the game that can use environments against you. And some areas can have different height levels (which flying enemies can freely traverse), which also adds all sorts of considerations.
Special charge-up attacks for weapons that require you to stand still for some time are also far from minor - they make melee fighters much more tactical, and combat mambo much less mindless. And then there are bombs and firearms, and the whole alchemy system which includes e.g. a shapeshifting potion. Moreover, LoG2 has deeper character development than earlier RT-blobbers, since in most of them it happens automatically.
And then there are really minor things, like the enemies that can occupy the same square as you, making you unable to hit them. Or enemies that explode if you allow them to touch you. Or enemies that can perform melee attacks from behind a porticullis, etc.

Alkarl

Learned
Legend of Grimrock is definitely the superior blobber. I'd hazard to say that Xulima isn't even a blobber at all, just a cheap knock off, and while the combat is reminiscent of what you would find in something like M&M or Wizardry, it has its own flavor that puts it a little closer to something like Kings Bounty.

LoX just didn't work for me. The first sin the game makes is saddling you with a predetermined MC, the second one follows directly afterwards: LoX demands you create 5 characters before you can continue. Later, you find out there is no multi-classing or ability to swap out characters for others. The story is bad, at least from what I hear. Definitely not compelling in the slightest, and while this doesn't necessarily detract from a game for me, it's just endemic of this games whole condition.

Many elements clash or just outright make no sense. Outside of Hardcore mode, saving is only restricted in a few choice areas in order to protect the illusion of the games "interesting puzzles" (the much touted Golden Forest comes to mind). The whole game is isometric until you enter combat, where the game is tactical-precision turn-based, which just isn't a blobber thing; it's closer to a Dragon Quest thing while the combat pillages more from (more focused) strategic rpgs. This game just rubbed me the wrong way at every step. It's interesting that you can clear enemy lairs, it's annoying that the game often blocks progress with "Impossible" or "Titanic" enemies. The riddles allow multiple tries, but there isn't any context to them. Chests typically contain decent loot, but the lockpicking minigame is (like most of the dungeon puzzles) vapid and only serves to add to the facade of "resource management". It's nice that the early "missions" give you a semblance of an idea where you should be grinding/exploring, it's annoying that after the game opens up, the story and gameplay stunt any desire to explore. Collecting herbs to turn into stat-ups is nice, but its unfortunately pointless since it relies heavily on the herbalism skill to maximize the benefit. It's nice that you get so many skill points per level, its unfortunate how rare meaningful equipment upgrades are.

The resource management itself is imbalanced as all hell as well, mostly since in the early game, you'll be resting after every other combat (sucking down all the food in the process) but this is fine because food is incredibly cheap, and with how rare equip upgrades are, it puts all that gold you'll be hoarding to good use. Or, if your broke, just go around and collect food as it regrows. You'll never run out until you start looking for another town, maybe. Consumables are also annoying in how they work. Potions will heal the user, but there are also other consumables which can be used on characters near you (just to beef up the facade of itemization), while your cleric can cast healing on their turn. 3 cheap sources of healing right out of the gate. And once you get to about level 5 or so, you'll start steamrolling combat since everything will fall into three catagories: Impossible (meaning you're smart enough not to let them fuck you), Challenging-Troublesome (depending on the amount of enemies, you may have a rough time, but you'll pull through) or the far more common balanced which basically means, prepare to steamroll.

I can see the appeal of this game from a certain perspective, but its ultimately extremely droll, tedious, and perplexing. It plays more like some experimental game, where all of its elements were pillaged from different (more focused) games. IMO, it wasn't worth the asking price. It looks like a browser game and plays like one too.

Tl;dr Lords of Xulima feels more like a Frankenstein mishmash of elements the designers thought were cool. The game is barely competent as a professional product, and most of all, lacks any sort of focus. Before any of that, it just isn't a blobber, and shares more things in common with early console style rpgs with slightly more visual polish.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Guess there's only so much you can do with cream cheese and salmon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom