Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost and forgotten (except by us)

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
tfw no Omega Boost sequel :(

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Speaking of Battle Isle - I could never get into it, but really liked its WWI-offshoot:

History Line 1914-18

944x531.jpg

:Flash:

Arcane
God of Thunder
568015-god-of-thunder-dos-screenshot-the-village.png
568017-god-of-thunder-dos-screenshot-one-of-the-sliding-block-puzzles.png

620446-god-of-thunder-dos-screenshot-big-bugs.png
568016-god-of-thunder-dos-screenshot-inside-a-house-note-roaming.png
I have posted about this game before, so I'm just going to quote myself.

I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time.
In the game you are Thor and you have to save the world from your evil brother Loki. The game is basically a mix between a puzzle and an action game, where the puzzles are sokoban-like crate and lever puzzles, and the action part consists mainly of throwing your hammer at enemies. The hammer always goes straight from where you throw it until it either hits something or the side of the screen. On its way back though, it doesn't go in a straight line, it aligns with where you are. And if it gets stuck, you're suddenly without a hammer until you retrieve it. This mechanic is used both in the puzzle and the action part.

I cannot really describe why I like this game so much. It just has charm. And it has a lot of variety. The overworld has a top-down view, whereas the dungeons are side-scrolling. The game also constantly throws new things at you. It is really well paced. As you start to get bored with the puzzles, the game throws some action sequences at you. And vice versa. And as soon as you start to get bored with both, you suddenly arrive in a village with inhabitants that give you quests. Also, the people are aware that you are Thor, the God of Thunder, but they act as if you are just some random dude. Which makes for hilarious dialogue ("Hi Thor, ..."). The mechanics are pretty simple, you have an inventory, you have some spells, but most of it is just killing monsters and solving puzzles. And if you die, you simply restart the screen you where on, with everything resetted. If you kill someone Odin will appear ("I know it is great fun killing innocent passersby..."), but they'll be alive as soon as you reenter their screen.

Anyway, it's just a little game, but it's excellent at what it does. The author has made it freeware, so it's available from his website.

rohand

Cipher
Man those forgotten games bring me memories of the Underdogs website, back when it was still active (some backed up mirrors still exist though).

Dark Legions was a somewhat interesting boardlike turn-based strategy. It wasn't all that good, but it was fun for a few hours. Played the Abandonia version.

Dark%20Legions_8.png

Dark%20Legions_5.png

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS ASDNOTHER REQUEST FOR A MOD

PIN THIS THREAD PLEASE VERY WOERHT WHILE

paintinggrey

Scholar
I dont know if its liked in the codex but i have very fond memories of my first rpg Legends of Valour. Its wasnt a great rpg but i have so much fun getting lost and drawing a huge fucking map, spending hours finding the thieves guild and at the end of the game bumping into the ousted King in a random dungeon in which i killed him. Had a awesome box and map as well, that pretty much sealed it for me.

hqdefault.jpg

So disappointed they didnt do a sequel!!:negative:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I remember LoV. Its biggest problem is that Ultima Underworld got relased a little earlier, rendereing it obsolete overnight.

When the ad campaign in the gaming mags for LoV featured only two review quotes, where one says that it has smoother scrolling than UW and then that it has a larger viewscreen than UW (or was it the up-close pixellation thing?) you knew they were in trouble.

paintinggrey

Scholar
I remember LoV. Its biggest problem is that Ultima Underworld got relased a little earlier, rendereing it obsolete overnight.

When the ad campaign in the gaming mags for LoV featured only two review quotes, where one says that it has smoother scrolling than UW and then that it has a larger viewscreen than UW (or was it the up-close pixellation thing?) you knew they were in trouble.

Yeah i remember that ad demon campaign. Never played UW, I wonder how my life would have turned out if i played UW instead of LoV

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Never played UW, I wonder how my life would have turned out if i played UW instead of LoV

It's never too late to start, to begin with.

But to answer your question - you'd have a better time fitting in at the Codex, for starters. Not because you played the "hip and popular" game and "got down with the cool kids" as a result, but because Ultima Underworld is simply an amazing game.

In many ways it's outdated and clunky nowadays, but in other ways it's still as fresh as the day it was released. Best of all, even though it's an Ultima game, it only borrows slightly from the philosophy of the Ultima games, and almost nothing of the lore and characters, making it an excellent entrypoint into the Ultima series.

paintinggrey

Scholar
Never played UW, I wonder how my life would have turned out if i played UW instead of LoV

It's never too late to start, to begin with.

But to answer your question - you'd have a better time fitting in at the Codex, for starters. Not because you played the "hip and popular" game and "got down with the cool kids" as a result, but because Ultima Underworld is simply an amazing game.

In many ways it's outdated and clunky nowadays, but in other ways it's still as fresh as the day it was released. Best of all, even though it's an Ultima game, it only borrows slightly from the philosophy of the Ultima games, and almost nothing of the lore and characters, making it an excellent entrypoint into the Ultima series.

I'll check it out, never too late i guess. Thanks!!!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Neocron 2
nc21.1_shot1.jpg
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

A cyberpunk MMOFPS
:negative:

Now, back to the lost and forgotten:

CONAN THE CIMMERIAN (1991)

Conan and his girl are living the good life.
ebY2Fah.png

DAT ASS
V61eON5.png

NOOOOOOOOO evil cultists set dat ass on fire !!!!
qjBG7Ko.png

By Crom! Their heads will be mounted on pikes!
gQzwoXw.png
wPBwSpo.png

xun4JkA.png
6QU3wS6.png

Somewhat forgotten Conan action adventure/rpg. The exploration aspect is handled pretty well. The combat is clunky, like the controls in general, but all and all it's an entertaining game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's something I discovered recently while doing maintenance - an obscure Daggerfall-inspired indie RPG from 2008: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...acy-elder-scrolls-2-daggerfall-styleee.22200/

http://www.redshift.hu/thequestpc.htm

shot01.jpg

About The Quest

The Quest is a graphically stunning, engaging and sinister world full of magic, music and provocative challenges.

Choose from five customizable races and an array of skills, attributes, weapons, armor and enchantments, then explore a huge non-linear realm of four different cities and a wilderness of mountains, caves, lakes and forests.

Play an absorbing card game, solve brain-teasing quests and clash with dangerous opponents in this turn- and skill-based role playing game.

You will have many choices, including some that may place you against the law, along your way to the dramatic end of your own choosing. You will need all your gaming know-how to survive and discover your destiny! The Quest features

• fps-like view
  • playable races, even undead (different quests, dialogues, abilities)
  • skill-based game engine, primary and secondary skills
  • advanced dialogues with topics, selectable answers based on race, fame, outfit, …
  • continuous emulated 3D, not block by block
  • alchemy with ingredients – mix your own potions, even a black beer to make your character more cheerful
  • Infect or contract diseases
  • Complex enchant system including drain, fortify skill/attribute/ac/hp/mana, resist. Even a blank scroll or an empty wand can be enchanted.
  • Every item has a weight, and weapons/wearable equipment have condition. As you walk around a lot, you may need to buy new boots
  • You can repair your weapons/armor
  • Monsters could have special properties – infect disease, poison, paralyze, level drop (you lose xp),
  • huge world, non-linear gameplay
  • two levels - high ceilings and two story buildings
  • dual weapon fight! As a warrior-like character, you should decide whether you want higher protection with a shield, or extra damage with a secondary weapon
  • an equipped shield with advanced block skill could neutralize the whole damage – while the shield itself could lose reasonable condition
  • books – some could teach you a skill, another may contain a novel
  • thief skills – picking locks, disarming.
  • you can rest in the wilderness,
  • advanced card game – more strategy, less luck
  • mark/recall and town portal spells (spellbooks/scrolls/wands) to help you moving around
  • don’t do anything illegal, or you may find yourself in a prison!
  • original, pda-optimized soundtrack
  • weather effects
  • much more...

Riskbreaker

It's actually not at all obscure in teh mobile circles, not by a long-shot. Also, some sort of complete edition is apparently coming to Steam & GOG sometimes during the next few months.

rohand

Cipher
Dragon Dice was one of the first computer games I've played, back when those demo CDs were popular.

It's based on the board game, but at the time I had no idea it was based on something else.

271206-dragondi_002.jpg

271205-dragondi_001.jpg

lol @ Gamespot screenshots

I don't know if I'd have any fun with it today, but back in the day as a stupid kid I kind of enjoyed it.

http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=3540

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I dont know if its liked in the codex but i have very fond memories of my first rpg Legends of Valour. Its wasnt a great rpg but i have so much fun getting lost and drawing a huge fucking map, spending hours finding the thieves guild and at the end of the game bumping into the ousted King in a random dungeon in which i killed him. Had a awesome box and map as well, that pretty much sealed it for me.

hqdefault.jpg

So disappointed they didnt do a sequel!!:negative:

I remember Legends of Valour very well for it being just utterly destroyed in finnish gaming magazine, they gave it something like 27/100 and didn't find any redeeming qualities in it. I also remember Valour being notorious (at least in Finland) for being known as "the game with english gaming journos' faces as portraits so it got great reviews in UK", and one of the first examples I know for how fucking rotten gaming media is.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The Amazing Spider-Man

Strange title for a game that should be considered lost and forgotten, no?

Well, I'm referring to the 1990 Metroidvania game that's so obscure that MobyGames doesn't even have the box cover for the European version (which I have). I had even forgotten that I had the box!

Anyway, the plot is that Mary Jane has been kidnapped by Mysterio and she's being held in a movie studio and Spidey's off to save her, which is just a thin excuse to have a tough little platformer set in variable locales within a "stronghold".

3363-the-amazing-spider-man-dos-screenshot-your-quest-begins.gif

The gameworld is divided into screens, so those with Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy experience will feel right at home. Spider-Man only has one life, but as his health drains his image on the right starts changing into a skeleton. I haven't played this game in over 20 years, so I can't remember if there was a way to restore health, but I do remember that there were savepoints and that the controls were clunky as hell.

346976-the-amazing-spider-man-dos-screenshot-hanging-out-at-the-foyer.png

In the above screenshot, for example, you can tell that Spidey can walk on most surfaces. But one notable exception is the ceiling beneath him, that green sludge acts as a blocker. He can shoot his web and swing and pull up, but more often than not players will end up with Spidey flailing about horizontally in mid-air before belly-flopping on the ground.

I remember that I got somewhat ahead in the game, as the puzzles consist almost entirely of finding (and then reaching) switches that unlock the next section of the giant maze that is the gameworld. There's no violence involved at all. I quickly lost interest back then as the controls are a hindrance and other games became more interesting.

Neocron 2
nc21.1_shot1.jpg

A cyberpunk MMOFPS with a large focus on player economies. Stuff like high-level weapons require other players to first make a blueprint, than another player to construct it. Implants can only be implanted by other players. If you're going to raid another company, you also need alot of other people like a hacker, a driver, a field medic, a tank, and some other people.
The city was large, and was fun to explore/get lost in, especially if you liked cyberpunk enviroments.
I thought the combat was kinda drek for a FPS, though. There is a private server up maintained by the original devs, it has like 50 people on at most times.

neocron in beta was the best game ever. EVER.
the more reakktor worked on it the more features were removed and bugs added.
at launch it was a barely playable mmofps with not enough content, even if it still has more than many others.
i tried neocron 2 (which isn't actually a sequel), had to quit after few minutes because of bugs. went back the next day to find my inventory had morphed into some high-end rocket launcher with thousands ammo.
i still remember it as the best game ever which never been. damn, it did even downtime right!

is this private server free?

The Amazing Spider-Man

Strange title for a game that should be considered lost and forgotten, no?

Well, I'm referring to the 1990 Metroidvania game that's so obscure that MobyGames doesn't even have the box cover for the European version (which I have). I had even forgotten that I had the box!

Anyway, the plot is that Mary Jane has been kidnapped by Mysterio and she's being held in a movie studio and Spidey's off to save her, which is just a thin excuse to have a tough little platformer set in variable locales within a "stronghold".

3363-the-amazing-spider-man-dos-screenshot-your-quest-begins.gif

The gameworld is divided into screens, so those with Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy experience will feel right at home. Spider-Man only has one life, but as his health drains his image on the right starts changing into a skeleton. I haven't played this game in over 20 years, so I can't remember if there was a way to restore health, but I do remember that there were savepoints and that the controls were clunky as hell.

346976-the-amazing-spider-man-dos-screenshot-hanging-out-at-the-foyer.png

In the above screenshot, for example, you can tell that Spidey can walk on most surfaces. But one notable exception is the ceiling beneath him, that green sludge acts as a blocker. He can shoot his web and swing and pull up, but more often than not players will end up with Spidey flailing about horizontally in mid-air before belly-flopping on the ground.

I remember that I got somewhat ahead in the game, as the puzzles consist almost entirely of finding (and then reaching) switches that unlock the next section of the giant maze that is the gameworld. There's no violence involved at all. I quickly lost interest back then as the controls are a hindrance and other games became more interesting.

I'm a huge Spidophile and I had never heard of this one. It looks like it could be hilariously shit enough to waste an hour or two on. Thanks man!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom