Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost and forgotten (except by us)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I remember my old gaming buddy used to have a copy of this game, but it's a hard game to find these days. Not on GOG or any of the major Abandonware sites, not even on Steam.
IIRC, The Iso Zone has the full game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I also have a full physical copy of the game, everything included except the box itself.

(PM me if you're interested.)

EDIT: No longer available.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Thanks, but I think I'll try the version felipepepe pointed me towards.

I was thinking of seeing if it was available on the Bay, but that seems to be troubled waters now...

Also, I'm surprised that it's not on Myabandonware. I'm used to them serving all my abandonware needs (Abandonia is better for support and discussion, though). I see they even have the NOLF games, which are somewhat of Holy Grails to GOGers who are too ethical for abandonware.

fastjack

Augur
I remember I bought the strategy guide to Birthright as a kid since I couldn't find (or afford probably) the game and I went there to buy the Birthright campaign box (turned out to be an expansion and I didn't have DnD anyway). When I eventually bought the game on ebay a few years later I was a little disappointed but I still admire the game for the ambitious scope.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I remember my old gaming buddy used to have a copy of this game, but it's a hard game to find these days. Not on GOG or any of the major Abandonware sites, not even on Steam.
IIRC, The Iso Zone has the full game.

I finally got it (the unpatched version, at least) working.
Turned out I had to import the ISO file itself into D-Fend Reloaded. I don't know if there's an easier way to install it. The Windows version won't work on my Win 7 64 bit system unless I use Virtual Box, which is more cumbersome than DosBox.
Since the ISO file does not include patches I extracted all the files, extracted the patch files and them zipped the whole thing and imported into D-Fend Reloaded, but it won't start without the ISO file (complains about CD missing).
So I tried to make a new ISO file with Magic ISO Maker, but the trial version will only make files up to 300 MB.

I'm not sure if the game is worth the trouble of installing it...Maybe I should just wait until GOG gets it.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Turned out I had to import the ISO file itself into D-Fend Reloaded. I don't know if there's an easier way to install it. The Windows version won't work on my Win 7 64 bit system unless I use Virtual Box, which is more cumbersome than DosBox.
Have you tried using Microsoft Virtual PC? I was able to install Windows 95 on that and play Faery Tale Adventure II: Halls of the Dead (1997) without any problems.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
4D Sports Boxing (Mindscape, 1991)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4D_Sports_Boxing
Used to play this a lot back in the day. Game had character customization, several camera angles to choose from (including first person from players or opponents point of view), taunts and career mode, though I never have beaten The Champ:argh:.

Triplane Turmoil (Dodekaetron Software, 1996)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triplane_Turmoil_series
Finnish shareware game. Sidescrolling flying game with focus on dogfighting though you could also use bombs as air-to-air weapons.
It had 6 mission campaign for each of the factions (Finland, Germany, Japan and England) and 2-4 player multiplayer mode with teams or deathmatch.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
4D Sports Boxing (Mindscape, 1991)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4D_Sports_Boxing
Used to play this a lot back in the day. Game had character customization, several camera angles to choose from (including first person from players or opponents point of view), taunts and career mode, though I never have beaten The Champ:argh:.
I played that one to death as well, loved the "money for nothing" style polygon characters, and the different views you could play this in, first person, various angles, TV view that's moving around all the time (IIRC). Though I also never beat The Champ - my fighter always had to retire due to old age two or three fights before I got to the top.

Funny enough, I never had the chance to play 4D Sports Tennis. 4D Sports Driving (Stunts) I did play ofc, to death and beyond.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I played that one to death as well, loved the "money for nothing" style polygon characters, and the different views you could play this in, first person, various angles, TV view that's moving around all the time (IIRC). Though I also never beat The Champ - my fighter always had to retire due to old age two or three fights before I got to the top.
I tried the match against The Champ several times; always got beaten, those perfect stats were just too much for me.
Won second highest ranked dude several times.
Trick in the career mode was to skip as many opponents as possible on the first third of the ranking, to alleviate the aging problem.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
A few months back I mentioned how I know of only one game that allows for playing in the second person perspective - you seeing the game through the eyes of the enemy.

That game is 4D Sports Boxing, and there were guys playing it back in the day that preferred that perspective.

Has there really been a boxing game released that equalled or surpassed 4D Sports Boxing, in terms of customization, options and versatility?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm going to show my age here, but I really wish there would be a modern remake of Mail Order Monsters. I didn't think anyone else remembered this game, back from when Electronic Arts was cool.

1056055762-00.jpg

Matt Chat is the only one I know who ever covered the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzPT9xLhc2I

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I like the fact that despite there being dozens of dedicated consoles released that played nothing but Pong and variants upon it, people can say "no one under the age of 30 remembers" about the game...and be right.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Airborne Ranger (Microprose, 1987)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_Ranger

Probably the granddaddy of somewhat realistic military shooters.
Although it would be classified as rogue-lite nowadays (would be quite good too, if something was done to fix enemy spawning to something less immersion breaking.)
Game was presented as top down shooter, but it was mission based (destroy building, rescue POW, etc). Player had to choose equipment and decide what load out use in mission and what would go to containers that would be dropped into (procedurally generated) level.
It also had rudimentary stealth mechanics, so knifing enemies was advisable.

edit.
It had a sequel Special Forces that wasn't as good.

Last edited:

pippin

Two games I remember from a very old demo cd:

Urban Assault - FPP and Strategy mix from 1998

Hellbender -Descent clone apparently

WizFiz

Barely Literate
Had to signup to give my props to Unkillable Cat on Street Rod, unfortunately, that was long forgotten, but no longer.

And here is my addition:

Jet (1985) by subLOGIC

49487-jet-dos-screenshot-title-screen-cga-ega-with-rgb-monitor.gif

I remember having no clue what to do, but I did enjoy taking off then crashing to see what I thought was amazing effects.. how far we have come.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Thanks for that. Looking at Jet, that looks pretty advanced considering it's 1985. Earlier in this thread I bring up The Dambusters from the year before, and this blows that out of the water.

Seeing as we're into old vehicle simulators, I want to present one of the earliest PC-exclusive titles - Flightmare.

Here's the plot:

1928-flightmare-dos-screenshot-introduction.gif

And here's the overview map. The airplanes on the right represent your lives and starting point. The purple blob is a blimp you can refuel from in mid-air, the building is one of the factories you must protect, and the approaching vehicles represent the "waves" of enemies you must destroy.

1929-flightmare-dos-screenshot-map-overview.gif

Once you pilot your plane over to an enemy, the view changes to this:

1930-flightmare-dos-screenshot-lining-up-to-shoot-the-motorcycle.gif

Welcome to Abstract Game Design 101. "Normal" flight simulators would have gone about this differently. Flightmare splits the screen into two: The upper screen gives a side-view, the lower screen a bird's eye view.

The bread and butter of the gameplay of Flightmare is to align the plane on both screens so that the baddies can be destroyed. For ground vehicles that's not much of a problem, but when you add in the enemy planes...

310323-flightmare-dos-screenshot-dogfighting-sort-of.png

Those lines of dots are bullets. Yes, the enemy planes shoot back!

The controls make this game a twin stick shooter, as you use the numeric keypad for controlling one screen and WAXD for the other. Good luck with that, I certainly had enough trouble playing it back then.

Checking online for fan sites, I only found this one, which pays homage to the writing of the game, as well as a handful of YouTube videos.

Last edited:

WizFiz

Barely Literate
, I want to present one of the earliest PC-exclusive titles - Flightmare.
YES! That's probably the first game I ever played. It was in an IBM 8086 along with qbasic gorillas and that game where a frog tries to get to the other side of the road.

Oh man, QBasic that brings back memories. My first IBM games Gorillas, Nibbles (Snakes) and (don't remember the QBasic name for it) Frogger.

* Gorillas
* Nibbles
* Frogger Can't find the QBasic version for it so the Atari 2600 version will do, man gotta love that intro music.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom