Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost and forgotten (except by us)

Archibald

Arcane
I have, but it was something like 14 years ago and I don't really remember anything about it, I guess it was bland experience?

Jazz_

Arcane
Just found out about a game called ''Profezia'' by Trecision, hard to get more obscure than this because I think it was only meant for the italian market, I played an old adventure game by Trecision called ''The Watchmaker'' when it came out (early 2000s I think) that was alright, it was set in Austria in a castle, it kinda looked like Gabriel Knight 3 graphically, had no idea it was an italian game until recently, I took a look at their older games and I found this wizardry-ish cyoa game (it came out in 1991):

in the video the hero starts with 6 silver coins and a wineskin, meets some hunters on the road and shares his wine with them for some boar meat, the inkeeper charges too much for the cheapskate hero, the hero sleeps in an abandoned barn with a friar who tells him about some demons who wander the roads nearby and that if he meets them he should just run away, the hero meets the demons, chooses to attack them and gets raped and becomes a demon himself, the end. :lol: You cannot even save so if you fuck up you have to start all over again. I wanna play this shit now.

''The Watchmaker'' was pretty obscure too I think, I must be one of the few people on earth who still has the original cd-rom somewhere, some screenshots:

watchmak2.jpg

222_9_medium.jpg

222_3_medium.jpg

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
''The Watchmaker'' was pretty obscure too I think, I must be one of the few people on earth who still has the original cd-rom somewhere, some screenshots:
Yeah, I played the watchmaker. It was decent. I believe it was one of the games I rented from a local shop.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My mom has an original copy of the watchmaker on CD. She's into a lot of the adventure games so she goes out of her way to find weird obscure titles because she's already played all of the other ones.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
4D Sports Boxing (Mindscape, 1991)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4D_Sports_Boxing
Used to play this a lot back in the day. Game had character customization, several camera angles to choose from (including first person from players or opponents point of view), taunts and career mode, though I never have beaten The Champ:argh:.

Man, I loved raping Larry Lunchbucket when I gained a few ranks(you could only fight those about 5 above and 5 below) just to see how fast I could knock him out :)
Still have my boxed copy! The Champ was too much for me then...but then again I had a XT and it was a bit laggy(I refused to lower details). Was such a good game, 3D animated boxers, first person view that isn't really done now even). Man, why are there no boxing games on PC? Had to get a PS3 just to get my boxing fix. On PC it's just Wrestling or some ultimate fighting shit now. Can only dream of a boxing game set in different eras so you can rise in the golden age 1940's-1970's... sniff.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Chameleon (2005)

MrGcsPE.jpg

This game is too new to be forgotten by most people, because they probably even don't know it exists in the first place. Chameleon was made by Silver Wish Games, which was a division of Illusion Softworks. Ring any bells ? How about Mafia ? SWG dev team used the LS3D engine and made a really good stealth production. What is surprising, that the studio closed its doors before the program could be released to the public. After being put into cupboard Cenega, which is a polish publisher made a deal and started manufacturing physical copies. Chameleon was released with polish subtitles and original english voice acting. The only problem is horrible Star Force protection included on 3 Cd-roms. I don't know if our fonts will be visible for the rest of you, but you can easily navigate through the whole gui and menus if it isn't your first game ever played.

You can choose the equipment for each mission (we visit Belfast, Moldava, Baltimore in US, and a couple of other countries) to find the killer of our parents. Great work on the missions, the places feel really "alive" although we don't have a full fleshed sandbox game at our hands, we don't feel constrained and there is still plenty of room for our own initiative. I don't think you can ghost all the levels, since there are tough moments where you really need to use pistol to help yourself. Sometimes the gun is your best option, and you will learn that sooner or later. You can choke from behind and hide the bodies, electrocute, lean and crawl plus there is always handy night vision googles. Although we play in 3rd person perspective we don't have any sticking to the wall option like in Splinter Cell or disguising per se like in Hitman.

The difficulty is high when you are detected, the 1 vs 1 shooting can easily result in your death. When there are 2 soldiers you can load the game already, you won't manage to survive. We also have the bar in between that indicates how visible we are. The difficulty gradually rises from Hitman 2 beginning level to some better missions in Splinter Cell (the columbian prison mission especially brings many memories). The only letdown is last mission, which turns to be more like an arcade shooter. The maps are really big and you really need to be focused to not let be seen.

The graphics are still decent, they have really good style and each location looks really good. Soundtrack is awesome - when we keep everyone silent it's very subtle, but when someone sees us it changes dramatically. Very stable, no crashes and the plot overall is really good.

The game could be bought for less than 5 euro here, and that is the best money you will ever spend. Shame about the SWG going the dodo way, they had so much potential and could add more in stealth subgenre.

Paging Alienman as he made separate thread, but it went dead very quick.

Here is one of the tracks from the soundtrack made entirely by Milan Malik.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Brigador reminded me of Desert Strike, but then I realized that there was much earlier isometric game where you destroy buildings and small vehicles and people.

The Movie Monster Game (Epyx, 1986)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Movie_Monster_Game

6 different monsters to choose from, 5 mission types like escape from the map or destroy famous building. Several cities to destroy.
Kinda horrible controls.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Rampage Movie Sets Start Date, The Rock Shares New Details

MovieWeb said:
It is 2017 and video game movies still aren't good. Sure, some have accomplished visual spectacle, but a great movie based on a video game has yet to be made, at least by most accounts. But if one man can change that, it is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, and he is going to give it his best shot with Rampage, which is set for release next year. Thanks to The Rock, we now know that the movie is going to start shooting this April, as well as some details about his character in the Rampage movie.

Dwayne Johnson took to his Instagram in order to share the details of a very lengthy, six-hour script session with the writers and producers of Rampage. They are apparently trying to whip things into shape, because the movie is going to start filming in April and it will be the next movie he will be shooting.
The most interesting bit is that Dwayne Johnson will be playing a Primatologist and the head of an anti-poaching unit. For those who may not know, the Rampage video game was a very simple game that centered on a big lizard who went by the name Lizzy, a giant werewolf named Ralph and massive ape named George who were running amok in the United States destroying city after city. So, based on what we now know, it seems like The Rock is going to have some sort of connection to the giant ape George in Rampage, which could be interesting. Rampage, as a video game, doesn't really have much of a plot, so the creative team will be able to sort of craft their own narrative around a very general premise, which could wind up working heavily in their favor. Part of the problem with video game movies thus far is that they are often beholden to a lot of very specific plot and character details that are difficult to distil down and fit into a two-hour movie.
Rampage has a release date of April 20, 2018.
Not sure whether to laugh or cry, so I'll just laugh. :D:lol::lol::lol::D

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
Ecstatica:

Weird third-person adventure game with a werewolf(beaver? cat?). Fun fact: You get to play a male or female character, but will still always get called a "he." Controls kind of like the early Resident Evil games. Strange blend of horror, violence, comedy, and European lore.

latest

Scorched Planet:

You got to be in a tank that could turn into a space fighter. Save civilians by picking them up and sending them through a warp gate, kill giant wasps, pterodactyls and other random things. Kill the alien mothership. All in a day's work. Not a great game, but it was very amusing as a kid and having to swap between vehicle modes is pretty neat.

2219798-scorched_planet_pc.jpg

sp_shot3.png

266722-scorchp_003.jpg
266721-scorchp_002.jpg

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I remember Ecstatica, and what people said about it back in the day. They mostly praised the original 3D graphic engine that didn't use conventional polygons and could be a "possible road forward" or something like that in graphics engines. Oh, and there was a somewhat decent Alone In The Dark-clone of a game using the engine. The game did well enough to get a sequel, but sadly iD Software ended up setting the de facto standards for how to do 3D engines.

Monster Movie Night is quite something: It's a game that has tremendous atmosphere and immersion (especially for a 1980s game on an 8-bit computer) right up until you're dumped in the city itself. Then the shallowness of the game reduces it to nothing but a short novelty that wears off in a couple of hours. The idea behind the game has immense potential today, though. Imagine a FPS where you control the monster and can wreck the city. Or even a VR title where you're a mad scientist perched on the shoulder of your creation FrankenZilla.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Rampage (which was an awesome game) reminded me of Save New York. We had much fun with this game back in those days. The point of the game was boring so we just wrecked the city ourselves and then it was pistols in the metro and last man standing wins.

And jesus christ... The box is now open the whole fucking C64 catalogue is pouring in on me from youtube again...

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO!!?! UNDERCAF YOU AERE A BRO!!

I PLAYED THE SHIT OUT OF SAVE NEW YPRK WHEN I WAS A KID

DID THE SAME THING TOOO JUST DESTROYED THE CITY WITH MY BROS

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Which reminds me of the oldest cheat/exploit I've discovered (and haven't seen or heard of since).

In the Bruce Lee game there's a screen where Brucie must cross a flip-flopping bridge (you can see it in the video at the 7:44 mark). This can be a tricky obstacle, especially on the PC version which isn't speedlocked, meaning that the faster the computer is, the faster the game runs. Even playing the game on a 286 computer makes it run too fast, as I learned the hard way.

Anyway, the cheat is this: Once you've climbed up the ladder, head left instead of right until you're running up against the edge of the screen. Start hitting the END and HOME buttons on the numeric keypad, one after the other, and Bruce Lee will do some kind of funky jive and start to clip through the screen on the left, while slowly emerging on the right. Eventually he'll have crossed over to the right side of the screen without having to bother with that pesky bridge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom