Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost and forgotten (except by us)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The Incredible Machine

I feel like raging a bit at this point. This is the second or third time that The Incredible Machine gets mentioned in this thread, yet it's kinda hard to call a game "Lost" or "Forgotten" that received an expansion pack, 2 sequels, a remake, a sequel to that remake and finally a modern-day remake called Contraption Maker. There's a reason GOG calls it "The Incredible Machine Mega Pack." It's been constantly released and remade since 1992.

And yet, everyone overlooks and forgets the TIM spinoff, one of my most beloved games - Sid & Al's Incredible Toons.

12381-sid-al-s-incredible-toons-dos-screenshot-use-the-editor-to.gif

This game saw a Windows remake/re-release in 1996 as The Incredible Toon Machine, then seemingly disappeared forever from people's minds.

I went to great lengths to score a sealed boxed copy of this game, and as people can clearly see the box is a sight to behold.

EDIT: Holy shit, you guys want to see something truly lost and forgotten? How about the Ghosts 'n' Goblins licensed version of The Incredible Toon Machine?

Hardcore Gaming 101 said:
About a year after Incredible Toons, Capcom licensed the game from Sierra and made their own version, Arthur to Astaroth no Nazomakaimura: Incredible Toons, only releasing it in Japan. The puzzles and parts are the same as the original game, but everything has a Ghosts 'n Goblins theme, now, with Arthur replacing Sid the Mouse and Astaroth, the bad guy of Ghosts 'n Goblins, taking the role of Al the Cat. It stars cute, chibi versions of the cast, including Arthur, Astaroth, Red Arremer, the Grim Reaper, the first level boss from Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and others. It has many items from the game too - for example, in order to get Arthur to move, you need to lure him with an armor power-up. There are also a few cutscenes, making this the only TIM game with a semblance of plot. The story scenes and the puzzle goals are in Japanese, but apparently, Princess Prin-Prin has been kidnapped. AGAIN. The controls work pretty well, although using a controller isn't quite as precise as the mouse. The soundtrack is full of remix songs from the G&G games, and it sounds pretty nice. Unfortunately, the Freeform Machine mode and the Head-to-Head mode are gone completely. It's a neat little curiosity but not really essential unless you're hardcore into both series.

Only on the PS1 and Sega Saturn, but this is news to me.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Good news? I seem to have found a title that doesn't even have an entry on MobyGames.

Bad news? It's a Mahjong game.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Nightmare Creatures, a horror hack and slash set in a Victorian London:

Very atmospheric, decently challenging as well.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS TO DRINKS AND TIRED TO POST MY IDEAS NOW FBFUT KUST WANT TO SAY THAT THTRDS LIKE THIS IS WHY I LIKE THE CODEX

CAN SOME FAG MOD PIN TGIS POST!!??1

rezaf

Cipher
Nice thread.
Unkillable Cat and :Flash:, is it just me or does if feel like a miniature version of HOTU herein? ;)

Here's a few more obscurities from me:

Hammer of the Gods
Quasi-predecessor to the HoMM series. Nice strategy gameplay with adventure/RPG elements on a Norse theme.

Ragnarok / Valhalla
Another Norse themed game, but this time a graphical roguelike. It remains one of my favorite RLs to this very day.
The RPG DNA runs a bit deeper in it's veins than in most other RLs, but all the genre tropes are there - and more.
Many elements I love from Ragnarok are hardly ever seen in other games. There's a Scroll of Extinction that lets you remove an entire species from the game by typing in it's name (gods and other very poweful beings excluded). You can permanently polymorph into other forms, such as that of a dragon or that of even more powerful monsters. On the other hand, you might be transformed into a plant and spend the rest of your days this way (the game will mercifully end after skipping through 1000 turns or something). There's a bottomless dungeon with an endless amount of random floors. You can visit Asgard and Niflheim. It's a great game.
Unfortunately, most versions you can find on the web have a nasty bug that leads to overpopulated maps later in the game. :(

Escape Velocity Nova
Basically top-down Elite. The first Windows entry of this previously Mac only series was unfortunately also the last.

Afrika
Nice little shareware game, you could say "colonization lite". Unfortunately, I never got my hands on the full version, but the shareware is pretty full-featured.
Couldn't find a gameplay video.

Stronghold
Unrelated to the newer games bearing the same name, this 1993 SSI classic featured a nice fusion of SimCity and Majesty (before Majesty was out, obviously).

I could list tons more, but I think five is enough for one post.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Celtic legends

EDIT : I hope the images work this time.

224351-celtic-legends-amiga-screenshot-intro-blue-wizard.png
224352-celtic-legends-amiga-screenshot-intro-red-wizard.png

224356-celtic-legends-amiga-screenshot-main-game-screen.png
224358-celtic-legends-amiga-screenshot-battle-tower-in-the-background.png

Turn-based strategy game. The aim in each scenario is to defeat the opponent's mage. All your units gain levels, which is very important for your spell casters to learn new spells. There are some very cool spells like the plague that spread across your units and your opponent's ones when they cross each other.

Last edited:

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
In Cold Blood from Revolution Software:

Theres a PC version too.

Pretty pre-rendered backgrounds

incoldblood.jpg

I played this game a little bit back in the days but it felt pretty difficult so I just left it.

Thinking about giving it a second go after a quick Jewtube check.

Edit. Remembered another gem:

Heavy Metal F.A.K.K 2 From Ritual Entertainment

savage2000-fakk2.jpg

Surprisingly fun 3rd person action-adventure game.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nightmare Creatures, a horror hack and slash set in a Victorian London:

Good one. I remember trying to play it on a newer rig but the engine wasn't scaling properly so it had over 200 fps or more :lol:. Great final boss.

1750894-nightmarecreatures30.jpg

The sequel was released only for PS1 and Dreamcast consoles, but I really recommend it. Really nice combat mechanics, you don't have a choice of the characters. You are playing Wallace, who escapes from a hospital where there are performed medical experiments on patients. He has only an axe, but slashing and dashing never gets old. Wallace really is behaving like someone with traumatic experience, and when he starts gaining the momentum in the fight you feel like a mentally deranged psycho. Those scars and wounds under the bandages will never heal . There were too many dark segments in the later parts of it, but the finale on the Eiffel Tower is very memorable and overall NC2 is worth at least one playthrough.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Celtic legends

Interesting game, but here's the strange part, I can't see the image in your post, but if I quote your post they show up in my reply box.

And if I click "view image" I get a message from LemonAmiga saying that my IP has been banned because of spam.

EDIT: Fixed now, but that was weird.

Last edited:

Siobhan

Arbiter
Drakan: Order of Flame is nearly forgotten from what I can tell, despite being huge back then:
It was also one of the first games after Tomb Raider to capitalize on the "kickass independent woman, but totally hawt" archetype. With much more delectable results, I'd say:

Myrna-Blankenstein-Rynn-Drakan-21.jpg

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Good one. I remember trying to play it on a newer rig but the engine wasn't scaling properly so it had over 200 fps or more :lol:. Great final boss.

1750894-nightmarecreatures30.jpg

The sequel was released only for PS1 and Dreamcast consoles, but I really recommend it. Really nice combat mechanics, you don't have a choice of the characters. You are playing Wallace, who escapes from a hospital where there are performed medical experiments on patients. He has only an axe, but slashing and dashing never gets old. Wallace really is behaving like someone with traumatic experience, and when he starts gaining the momentum in the fight you feel like a mentally deranged psycho. Those scars and wounds under the bandages will never heal . There were too many dark segments in the later parts of it, but the finale on the Eiffel Tower is very memorable and overall NC2 is worth at least one playthrough.

Yeah, I remember being disappointed there wasn't a PC port for the sequel. Can you recommend a good PS1(or Dreamcast) emulator?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Afrika
Nice little shareware game, you could say "colonization lite". Unfortunately, I never got my hands on the full version, but the shareware is pretty full-featured.

I nearly had mentioned that here myself, but considered it too obscure and went with Spirit of Adventure instead. I played that a lot. Also thumbs up for Stronghold.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Gunboat

QBnUkjk.gif

:kwafuckyeah: simulator in the Vietnam war (and elsewhere).

PWgReT7.jpg

53311-gunboat-dos-screenshot-stern-rear-gunner-s-station.gif

Traveling the rivers of Vietnam, Colombia and Panama, shelling the huts of poor yellow and brown people to defeat communism, drugs and promote regime change.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dang, I remember seeing ads with the box art in some gaming magazines around the time it came out and thinking "woah that looks cool". Never got around playing it though. Don't think it's officially sold anywhere anymore?

On the off chance you acquired a copy, here's how you set it on modern OS:

http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2014/01/15/requiem-avenging-angel/

Worked for me (on windows 7).

Nah, didn't want to spend money on a second hand dvd-case re-release and the original boxed ones seemed a bit expensive. Seems to be a bit hard to not remove it from inventory as well. But thanks for the info, maybe someone else will find it useful.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can you recommend a good PS1(or Dreamcast) emulator?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...on-central-recommendations-in-1st-post.86871/

I use Epsxe and old Psx from here - > http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/

The first one has some graphical enhancements available to your disposal, it uses diffrent plugins for music/graphics/etc. It's mostly accurate but can be troublesome. Psx 1.13 is just plain emulator with no blows and whistles. The game will look like on original console but there will be zero problems with compability. The best thing is both of them use the same save cards files types so even if you end up in Epsxe with crashing segment of the game you can load it in Psx. It saved me from playing Sub Zero MK game recently. You will also need bios file of the console, it's on the internet, somewhere...

Drakan: Order of Flame is nearly forgotten from what I can tell, despite being huge back then:

The game which first part was only on PC, but the sequel was only on PS 2.

Grab the PCSX 2 emulator. I thought the first Drakan is good but the sequel is a perfect slamdunk. Way bigger world, more weapons and magic to your disposal.

Fuck you Sony for not making a port for PC, I had to wait so many years for this.

:negative:

Last edited:

:Flash:

Arcane
Nice thread.
Unkillable Cat and :Flash:, is it just me or does if feel like a miniature version of HOTU herein? ;)
Yes, it does, and that's why I like it.

Afrika
Wow, this is one of the very few games in this thread that I have never heard of. I wonder why, because it sounds like the kind of game that would have gone around on floppies back then.

Reminds me of
Crime Fighter
A shareware game where (despite the name) the goal is to rise up in the ranks of gang crime. With hotseat mode. And bank robbery, kidnapping and assasination.

Archon.jpg

For commodore 64

After pressing play on tape and all that you would be presented with a chess like board:

CMwT9ux.png

2 players. you had different units that once moved on eachothers tile would battle it out in an arena, unit's health varied wildly from being on the wrong colour tile and some creatures would wipe the floor with their counterparts but it was always frantic as hell:

archon-4.gif

Some footage:

And ofcourse:

kickstart-2-c64-download.jpg

ks11.png

The 2d mother of stunts with splitscreen to boot. Fucking awesome game, fucking impossible levels.

agris

Arcane
Patron
This thread is AAAAAAAAA+, thanks guys. Only read the first couple of pages, but it looks like a lot of good stuff in there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom