Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Lots of Potential, Lots of Questionable Design Decisions: Destructoid Reviews Risen 2

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Isn't Jim Sterling the faggot who hated Deus Ex?

hiver

ZGn1d.jpg

qKvbD.jpg

Morkar Left

She isn't black. Gaming journalist lied again.

inbefore she could chuck my spear anytime...

hiver

Actually its called "javelin throw" (didnt know that ... i thought its just "spear throwing" in englesium) and she is a professional athlete in that, not just a model.

- no need to ask me her name because i wont tell you guys anything :)

-dammit...cant resist.... "Ah she could chuck me spear anytime :D"

Dexter

Arcane
Ugh, was just about to order it from Amazon and I've read around somewhat on German sites, apparently it doesn't only have that Day-1 DLC for Pre-Orders, but the Collector's Edition also has "Exclusive In-Game Items"

2c66343e6b339909bc4aca28924eba2c.jpg

And according to the Test on PCGames.de: http://www.pcgames.de/Risen-2-Dark-...mit-simplen-Kaempfen-und-wenigen-Bugs-879112/
[...]Als negativ zu bewerten ist die Art, wie euch das Spiel mit der Nase auf das Fehlen der bereits veröffentlichten und kommenden DLCs hinweist: Fehlende Einträge in der Liste der NPC-Begleiter, mit einem Fragezeichen markiert, deuten auf die anstehende Veröffentlichung weiterer Mini-Add-ons hin. Zudem wird der leere Platz für den legendären Gegenstand aus dem Die Schatzinsel-DLC auch im Hauptspiel angezeigt und der Spieler findet eine Flaschenpost, die vermutlich mit der Erweiterung Der Tempel der Lüfte im Zusammenhang steht. Diese losen Enden sorgen beim Spieler für das unangenehme Gefühl, ohne den Kauf der DLCs konkrete Inhalte von Risen 2 zu verpassen. Nervig!
It apparently has obvious spots of even further cut out DLC... I'ma try and translate that:
[...]As negative one could assess the way, in which the game puts your nose towards missing already released and future DLC. Missing entries in the list of NPC-companions, that are marked with a question mark indicate further upcoming Mini-Add-Ons. The empty space for the missing legendary item from The Treasure Island-DLC is also shown in the main game and the player finds a letter in a bottle, which presumably has something to do with the upcoming Expansion around The Temple of Air. These loose ends make players feel uncomfortable about missing out on content, without buying the additional DLCs. Annoying!

There's already 3 DLC pieces announced: "Treasure Island", "Temple of Air" (which are both 2 Additional Islands) and the "Pirate Outfit" that has a special pirate armor/hat/boots, weapon and a ring that gives better XP and stuff...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
"Spear thrower" or "chucker" just refers to natives who don't use guns. It's not really used in a derogatory sense anymore, at least not here.

Also, I uh...I don't get the sense Jim finished the game, or even played that much of it. Oh well.

There's already 3 DLC pieces announced: "Treasure Island", "Temple of Air" (which are both 2 Additional Islands) and the "Pirate Outfit" that has a special pirate armor/hat/boots, weapon and a ring that gives better XP and stuff...

Yeah, they added Air for the console delay. It's a big load, all of this DLC bullshit is.

Morkar Left

Ok, then it's waiting for a Game of the Year / Ultimate / Majestic version that has all content in it. Can't play highspec games at the moment anyway.

He, he, pc games wrote "simple combat". M:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ripten has given the game 8.5/10, and the reviewer claims to have played through the game on Hard. :incline:

Overall, though, the problems with Risen 2 are minor. Some unobtrusive collision-detection and messy dialogue don’t take much away from what is otherwise a very solid RPG experience. The game is graphically stunning, the combat solid, and the semi-open world very well-designed. It is a great example of what every sequel should do, taking what made the original fun and building on it until you get a game that is equal to its progenitor in some respects, and outright superior in others. Risen 2: Dark Waters is definitely worth your time if you are a fan of the original, any of Piranha Bytes previous titles, or action-RPGs in general.[/indent[

http://www.ripten.com/2012/04/23/ripten-review-risen-2-pc/

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bah, someone already made the 'stopped reading at Jim Sterling' joke. He's a moron who lavishes praise at most generic AAA console shooters so the fact that he at least had a few good things to say about Risen 2 is a miracle. His complaints are actually strong points of PB games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
"Exclusive In-Game Items"

Well, the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter offered an 'exclusive in-game ability' so... let's not split hairs. I can see people having issues with day one DLC, though.

denizsi

Arcane
"Spear thrower" or "chucker" just refers to natives who don't use guns. It's not really used in a derogatory sense anymore, at least not here.

I doubt if it was ever racist at all. The term being racist is probably an exclusively retrospective classification. If the term came into use in such a time and context where people who still used spears in face of more technologically advanced adversary were made up mostly of African people if not completely, calling that racism is just retarded. It points to a guilt/inferiority complex. It's how languages fucking work.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's actually a fairly widely known slur. Seriously, Codex, for people who claim to be so 'edgy' your knowledge of such things is severely lacking. Here's a refresher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom