Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Low Magic Age: OGL Of The East - now available on Early Access

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Probably an old version. In what I played today archers work just fine, Wizard magic is working and dual-wielding rogues with sneak attack are very powerful.

Did they implement vancian spellcasting? Last time I played the spells were indeed cooldown based.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Probably an old version. In what I played today archers work just fine, Wizard magic is working and dual-wielding rogues with sneak attack are very powerful.
Did they implement vancian spellcasting? Last time I played the spells were indeed cooldown based.
He plans to do so, but ATM is a weird hybrid I don't really understand... some spells are one-use, others can be reused, but you must wait a turn between casts. :P

getter77

Augur
Pretty much---aiming for a big update towards that adventuring end by the end of this year at the least....interim updates surrounding it do look pretty good indeed.

getter77

Augur
Looking like Early 2018 will see at least the initial landing of Adventure mode, plus some more highlights on what that, and the game's name itself, entails as they've been chipping away at it these past few months to close out the year:

When the player party visits ruins, caves, and other explorable dungeons, the game system will automatically generate local adventure maps with single or multiple layers.

A local adventure map consists of rooms of various sizes, and the rooms are linked by corridors. On local adventure maps, the player party will encounter monster groups and other adventure elements, such as assorted treasure chests, traps, etc..

In the real adventure, the room structure and adventure elements of each dungeon are all unknown in the beginning. The player party needs to explore and reveal the whole dungeon.

New item type - Potion

Added 12 kinds of potions:
- Heal Potion
- Remove Fear Potion
- Shield Of Faith Potion
- Mage Armor Potion
- Bull's Strength Potion
- Cat's Grace Potion
- Bear's Endurance Potion
- Fox's Cunning Potion
- Owl's Wisdom Potion
- Eagle's Splendor Potion
- Aid Potion
- Heroism Potion
Added Heal Potion x2 to player party's starting assets
Have a chance to obtain various potions after winning new challenges
Have a chance to purchase various potions in Shop

New standard action: Use Item
Boots of Levitation functions correctly now (thanks orensatov)
- Treats all difficult terrains, including caused by spells or creatures, as normal terrains
- Immune to Web, Grease
When Helpless, treat Str score as 0 in Combat Maneuver Defense formula (thanks tudou684)
When Helpless or Grappled, doesn't provoke opportunity attacks by Irresistible Dance
More serious conditions (Helpless, Paralyzed, Irresistible Dance, etc.) cancel Defending and Grappling (thanks tudou684)
Removed incorrect Full Attack bonus for Irresistible Dance, Power Word Stun, Power Word Kill (thanks zyzy66)
Adjusted temporary HP provided by Aid, False Life, Death Knell, Divine Power, and Greater Heroism

Backup saves automatically before load and convert old version saves
Optimized rewards UI

Noncombat Skills
Noncombat skills are a variety of abilities that can be used outside the battlefield, such as Listen, Search, and Disable Device, etc.. The specific value of each skill of a character depends on character's level, related ability modifier, and other miscellaneous modifiers.

Commonly Used Skills in Dungeons
Listen: Use this skill to hear monsters behind a door, to detect someone sneaking up on you from behind, or to eavesdrop on someone else’s conversation.
Search: You can find hidden treasure, traps, and other details not readily apparent.
Disable Device: Use this skill to disarm a trap, jam a lock, or rig a wagon wheel to fall off. The use of masterwork thieves’ tools enables you to make the check with a +2 circumstance bonus.

Skill Checks without Rolls
Unlike common attack rolls in combat, for most skill checks, when you have plenty of time, you are faced with no threats or distractions, and the skill being attempted carries no penalties for failure, you can take the best result directly!

Concept of Time
Many things in the adventure involve the concept of time, such as travel, delivery goods, the consumption of supplies, and so on.

Time passes quickly by hours and days when you travel on the world map. When you explore dungeons, the concept of time will be presented in the fine level of minutes and seconds - moving between rooms and corridors takes only a few seconds, and listening carefully to monsters in a room or searching traps takes a few minutes.

Advanced Facilities in Cities
Unlike small villages that are sparsely populated and slow growing, adventurers can do much more in prosperous big cities: more formal adventure gear stores, more exciting wondrous item shops, and temples that selling various potions and scrolls.

Low Magic? High Magic?
As the name implies, the main story of Low Magic Age occurs in a low-magic world, at least in the early and middle stages of the adventure. But this does not mean that we must forbid the use of potions, scrolls and other relatively high-magic items. Especially the Potion of Heal and Scroll of Resurrect, they are essential for a smooth adventure. So, in normal and easy game difficulty, we'll allow players to obtain and use these items relatively easily.

This is a typical example of balancing reality and gameplay. Of course, in the meanwhile we will provide more challenging difficulty options that limit the use of these items to bring different adventure experience.

Carrying Capacity and Trading Goods
In the Arena mode, players only need to think about the load condition of the character himself. In the Adventure mode, we added two additional concepts about the load:

1. Carrying capacity of party backpack: All the unused equipment and other adventure gears are stored in the public party backpack. The carrying capacity of party backpack is the sum of party members' carrying capacity.

2. Carrying capacity of trading goods storage: The trading goods storage is an independent space for storing and delivering trading goods. Different from common retail items, trading goods are for wholesaling only. The total weight of goods is often unexpected. So the carrying capacity of trading goods storage must be considered carefully.

Every adventure party is initially equipped with the default trading goods delivery method that provides the carrying capacity usually ten times the base carrying capacity of party. With the adventure goes on, the party can obtain or upgrade to bigger storage and supporting delivery methods.

So yeah, I'd say optimism is still warranted.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Still sounds very basic. Also no word on proper resting and memorizing spells. Put it back in the oven and bake it for another 365 days.

getter77

Augur
Given the sheer unlikeliness outright that this project was one to come about in the way that it did, from the corner of the world that it has, in the first place---I can forgive them keeping a somewhat basic scope in order to get the foundations established.

I mean, we've all seen what's essentially Early Access handled far worse than the likes of this unfortunately---so good on them for being able to take some time and grind it out with a seeming degree of earnestness.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Not even released yet, but already 40% off until (almost) end of the month.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I like what they are doing.

The World Editor
901b4f23a48bee5355717c12b12809bfc1c980e4.jpg

We created a specialized world editor to help design the entire adventure world. This editor can be used to perform a variety of visual operations very easily, including location positioning, naming and parameter settings for various adventure elements, as well as supporting batchly randomization processes to improve efficiency.

While using the editor to make the official mainland of Low Magic Age, we are also improving the universality and usability of the editor itself, so as to provide for moders and ordinary players to make their own custom adventure modules.

8128a193e10c4f54c85ddd5ba90578889e76a655.jpg

More Informational Trading UI
63a0eb97fd9ebafb704bda125caae3d4e514ea37.jpg

As one of the core modules of the adventure mode, the trading goods system has been repeatedly redesigned on the rules and the UI. We're trying to make it an interesting gameplay that players willing to try and study, rather than a dispensable accessory.

3ed587d92a174e3db64d50badc5e7b28a1f14e79.jpg

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bought it yesterday. The arena mode is a fun way to whack a few kobolds. At first I didn't realize the magic system wasn't fully Vancian, I thought the mages were just sorcerers and clerics were of the miracle-on-demand type.

I think the "low-magic" may be according to the Wuxia or jRPG standards, though. Meaning High Magic (you can blow up planets) vs. Low Magic (you can cast Wish once a week.) There's a short story snippet that says current magic is just an inferior form of what once was available but that seems to be just fluff and has no relevance to gameplay (at least in Arena mode.) You'll get your first magic items quite soon and you can buy many easily.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I bought this months ago and have played it off and on, waiting for things to develop further. Totally worth the price I paid for it back then (when the full price was only $3.99), and the closest thing I have seen to the Gold Box games combat engine in a good while (well, outside of Old School Computer Game:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/149082/Old-School-Computer-Game)

Hey I bought that too. It's really not bad, and the dev's still actively updating it (most recent update was about a week ago).

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have played a bit more. A warning: it's not straight 3.5 D&D. I'm no expert in later editions, but I think the game has many elements from 4th and perhaps 5th (e.g. character have a lot of hit points, damage from spell scales to your INT modifier, there are minions -1hp enemies-, etc.) And the magic system ofc, which I believe may be from one of those later editions.

Spent a few hours on character creation. The classes could have been more versatile.

Wheres my lawfully retarded palaldins and cucked monks? Wheres my macho warlocks and hippie druids?

Otherwise, what Naveen said; many things significantly differ from pathfinder/3.5e; specially the magic systems.

Still i got it for a little under three dollars with the 40% discount, ao even the present arena mode is aceeptable i suppose.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Adventure Preview #12 (the final one)
19 FEBRUARY - LOW MAGIC STUDIOS
Day/Night and Camping
c7bb3ba7c2e5ae7477f63aac1218456f2f102a4c.jpg

The most direct effect of the day and night alternation to the adventurers is the scope changing of the field of vision. Beware of wandering monsters out of sight when traveling at night.

In the case of sufficient supply, your adventure party can take a rest at any time of the day to restore damage caused by combat and exploration. If there is no rest for a day, your party will automatically consume a supply and take a rest at the end of the day.

143afda506f31df4b4d4d2d82aac7de8c2d7005d.jpg

Jurisdiction and Subordination
cf72ecb4b72256d03dff49609ac20104df4421eb.jpg

Various settlements will form the relationship of jurisdiction and subordination according to their size. Villages generally belong to nearby cities, and cities may govern a number of villages. The population, prosperity, and various supplies of settlements under the relationship will interact with each other.

Fortresses are an exception. As a military stronghold, a fortress generally belongs to a nearby city, thus obtaining the supplies needed. But fortresses do not have the civilian population, do not accept block trade, and generally do not accept adventurers' visit, unless visitors have considerable prestige and have a good relation with the city which the fortress belongs to.

a73995e2ee373e9e94439f772662dd769dce5adc.jpg

The Final Preview?

Up to now, 12 previews of the adventure mode have been issued, basically including all the planned contents of the first version of the adventure mode. Of course, there are plenty of details that are difficult to show. We'll leave them to our adventurers to explore and experience personally ;)

The first version is expected to be released in March or April this year. ( Wish all the best in follow-up development. No bug storms, no energy exchanges between planes, and no alien kidnappings, etc. haha ;)
luckylucky

Codex Year of the Donut
https://steamcommunity.com/games/576770/announcements/detail/1653262146445710781

Adventure mode has been merged into the Default branch
May 6 - Low Magic Studios
The Adventure mode has been tested for more than one month on the Beta branch, and we have basically concluded that the new code modules are harmless to the original arena and the core combat system, etc. So now we have updated the adventure mode to the Default branch and continue the regular EA stage development.

Now all players can update to the latest version v0.90.04 which contains the Adventure mode. Beta test players now can switch back to the Default branch. Thanks again for your testing and valuable suggestions!
trulycheers
youtakemyheart

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom