Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Low-profile/obscure Codex members that you miss

Nutcracker

Scholar
This thread is about some lesser-known figures who have slipped under the radar. I'm not talking about "famous posters" like Twinfalls or Bryce, but those who never really raised too much of an eyebrow when they were around, but have made solid contributions nonetheless.

I've got a couple:

Grandpa Gamer - a thoughtful poster, and it always brought me lulz to think of this senior sitting at his computer typing out polite posts in the midst of a maelstrom of foul language and insults.

Data4 - a quality poster, however his notoriety was increased when details of his marital problems surfaced. The Codex has missed his contributions though.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Wow, for a moment I seriously thought this thread was going to be about movie posters or game posters. When I read grandpa gamer I still thought it was about wall posters until I read Data 4. Just thought you should know.

you should be more specific.

Nutcracker

Scholar
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Wow, for a moment I seriously thought this thread was going to be about movie posters or game posters. When I read grandpa gamer I still thought it was about wall posters until I read Data 4. Just thought you should know.

you should be more specific.

Fixed.

FOR YOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUU

Nael

Arcane
Dedicated to all those that we miss. May they have lives.

*Nael sits upon a bar stool. Royal blue background with a cheesy looking gold starburst set in the middle.*

/spotlight

Hey lady, you lady, cursing at your life
You're a discontented mother and a regimented wife
I've no doubt you dream about the things you'll never do
But, I wish someone had talked to me
Like I wanna talk to you.....

Oh, I've been to Georgia and California and anywhere I could run
I took the hand of a preacher man and we made love in the sun
But I ran out of places and friendly faces because I had to be free
I've been to paradise but I've never been to me

Please lady, please lady, don't just walk away
'Cause I have this need to tell you why I'm all alone today
I can see so much of me still living in your eyes
Won't you share a part of a weary heart that has lived million lies....

Oh, I've been to Niece and the Isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a yacht
I've moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got
I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things that a woman ain't supposed to see
I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

[spoken]
Hey, you know what paradise is?
It's a lie, a fantasy we create about people and places as we'd like them to be
But you know what truth is?
It's that little baby you're holding, it's that man you fought with this morning
The same one you're going to make love with tonight
That's truth, that's love......

Sometimes I've been to crying for unborn children that might have made me complete
But I took the sweet life, I never knew I'd be bitter from the sweet
I've spent my life exploring the subtle whoring that costs too much to be free
Hey lady......
I've been to paradise, (I've been to paradise)
But I've never been to me

(I've been to Georgia and California, and anywhere I could run)
I've been to paradise, never been to me
(I've been to Neice and the isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a yacht)
(I've been to cryin' for unborn children that might have made me complete)
(I've been to Georgia and California, and anywhere I could run)

Deleted member 7219

I thought you Germans were touchy when it came to Nazi stuff.

Texas Red

Whiner
Matt7895 said:
I thought you Germans were touchy when it came to Nazi stuff.

Its OK, American dollar and influence made sure that the Soviets were the bad guys all along, turning nazis in to a sort of forgotten, accidental period.

As for the topic: Straightlaceddeviant.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh, some Germans still have a sense of humor in that direction. Also, nowadays it's quite more accepted to make jokes about Nazi stuff than it was before. Just look at some of the recent comedy stuff about Hitler that was made in Germany. "Der Bonker", a funny little Hitler music video by Walter Moers, "Mein Führer: Die wirklich wahrste Wahrheit über Adolf Hitler", a comedy movie about Hitler's life, and the inclusion of a very Hitlery person in the comedy movie "Der Wixxer".

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Nazis were way cooler than soviets, anyway.
180px-Coolhitler.gif

On topic:
MisterSmileyFaceDude.

JarlFrank said:
"Der Bonker", a funny little Hitler music video by Walter Moers, "Mein Führer: Die wirklich wahrste Wahrheit über Adolf Hitler", a comedy movie about Hitler's life, and the inclusion of a very Hitlery person in the comedy movie "Der Wixxer".

Quite amusing.

Wikipedia said:
Der WiXXer ist eine deutsche Filmkomödie aus dem Jahr 2004, welche die Edgar-Wallace-Filme der 1950er und 1960er Jahre, vor allem Der Hexer, parodiert.

Der Hexer -> The Witcher?

On topic: Grandpa Gamer, Data4, Chinese Jetpilot, and others.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The Vanished One said:
Wikipedia said:
Der WiXXer ist eine deutsche Filmkomödie aus dem Jahr 2004, welche die Edgar-Wallace-Filme der 1950er und 1960er Jahre, vor allem Der Hexer, parodiert.

Der Hexer -> The Witcher?

Heh, literally translated "Der Hexer" would mean "The Witcher", sure. The Polish series also had the title "The Hexer" in its English translation.
In German it's just a male version of "witch", as in, man who uses magic. Just like the Polish have wiedzmin as male form of wiedzma.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Nope, but I know a few words from Polish movies and series I've watched/am currently watching [with English subtitles, of course]. Watched the movie Stara Basn Kiedy Slonce Bylo Bogiem and enjoyed it, and now I'm watching the Wiedzmin series, which is also pretty cool. You Poles make some good movies.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Wtf is this, Jarl? Being all friendly and forthcomming with some smelly polish untermensch.
Get your anschluse together, soldier!

Nutcracker

Scholar
I'll put in another vote for Cassidy, and also second Chinese Jetpilot.

As an aside, i think "the Hexer" sounds way cooler than "the Witcher", and would have preferred it to be the English title.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom