Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [LP] Bleed for your Kingdom, officer! Codex plays Guns of Infinity

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

A pity; the army could use officers like Lewes, common or not.

From what you have seen, Lewes seems to have done a fine job as an officer thus far, certainly better than certain 'proper' officers whom you have met in the past.

Indeed, it seems a pity that he must be returned to the ranks once his brevet promotion is rescinded.

Still, the baneless are not allowed permanent officers' commissions for good reason. While some common soldiers like Lewes might show talent for leadership, they lack the natural talent for command which all banebloods are born with. The best baneless might prove better than the worse banebloods, but that does not mean all baneless are fit to lead.

You could only think that men like Lewes and your fellow dragoon Cazarosta, who have managed to serve tolerably as officers despite their lack of baneblood, represent the exception rather than the rule.

It is a shame, though, that an exception cannot be made for the few baneless who prove themselves exceptionally suited for an officers' commission.

1) "Very good, we'll lend a hand."
2) "I'm afraid I've more pressing matters."

As of the Spring of the 610th year of the Old Imperial Era

Sir Alaric d'al Ortiga
Wealth: 488
Income: 15

Soldiering: 75%

Charisma: 43%

Intellect: 5%

Health: 65%

Idealism: 79% Cynicism: 21%

Ruthlessness: 36% Mercy: 64%

You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear bane-hardened armour and wield a bane-runed sword.

You have no decorations as of yet.

Sixth Squadron, Royal Dragoons
Senior NCO: Staff-sergeant Hernandes

Discipline: 39%

Morale: 43%

Loyalty: 37%

Strength: 100%

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
1. To put a libtertine elf and a politician above the standing of this fine officer, who despite his genetic failings, is better than many, is a crime.

Lewes nods, though his smile is hard and grudging. "See, that wasn't so hard a decision after all, was it?"

A new voice comes from behind you. "Then you shall fight?" Lord Cassius asks as he rides up to you. "Most interesting. I shall have to watch closely."

"On the contrary," Lady Katarina interjects as she too rides up to the head of the column. "Your Excellency's safety is our top concern. You must withdraw to a safe distance."

The Takaran aristocrat answers with a derisive snort. "My lady, I am quite capable of handling myself in battle. I am certainly not to be frightened by some poorly-drilled rabble the likes of which even mere Tierran Line Infantry might see off—" He turns to Lewes apologetically. "Ah, no offence."

The green-jacketed officer grunts. In his position, he has no doubt heard worse insults.

Lord Cassius smiles brightly. "Besides…" He gestures to his attendant, still silent in the saddle beside him. "Leud will keep me safe, will you not?"

The Takaran's servant nods. "Iha, mir hiir," he replies stolidly, as if the task of defending his master's life were no more mundane than brushing his coat.

Katarina only seems to meet Cassius's assurances with fresh insistence. "While it is known that Takarans possess many natural abilities that humans do not, invulnerability is not one of them. One stray shot might precipitate a diplomatic catastrophe. Thus, it would be best to keep the ambassador away from any fighting." She turns to you expectantly. "Would you not agree, Captain?"

1) "Agreed. Your Excellency, you must go to the rear."
2) "Perhaps it would be best to allow him to take a look."

Sir Alaric d'al Ortiga

You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear bane-hardened armour and wield a bane-runed sword.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
2. We ought to see what this man is capable of. One wonders how much of his arrogance is based in his own race's misguided belief of superiority and how much of it is based in reality.

"Agreed. Your Excellency, you must go to the rear."

The Takaran diplomat scowls. "Very well, if you insist," he replies, turning his horse back around.

"You know, Captain," he says as he passes you by, "some would take this as an insult to the martial prowess of the Takaran soldier. Consider yourself lucky I do not."

Then, with a stiff nod, he continues his way past you, back down the road, and to safety, with Lady Katarina following behind.

-

With that situation dealt with, you once again turn to Lewes. "I trust you have some sort of plan in mind?"

The grizzled Lieutenant nods and points to the near edge of the clearing. "If your men dismount, sir, then they'll have enough cover to hide themselves in there. When the enemy come back and charge at us, you can pop out and take 'em in the flank." Lewes smiles with a grim satisfaction. "Aye, that'll do the bastards."

It is not a particularly complex plan, the rough improvisation of an unschooled NCO, not the elegant battle-dance of a baneblooded staff officer. That does not mean such a course of action would be ineffective. Simpler plans often mean there are fewer things which might go wrong. In this case, however, simplicity does have its shortcomings.

The first is the fact that Lewes's plan only sees fit to drive the enemy off again. While catching the enemy in a sudden crossfire might inflict heavy casualties, a great number of the enemy are likely to get away.

Secondly, there is the fact that the plan would require his own Experimentals to remain in the open, a sitting target for the enemy should they not be repulsed by your first sudden volley.

There is also the fact that if the enemy are not driven off by your first volley, your own men would then be scattered, dismounted, and prime targets for those Antari that remain alive and mounted.

Then again, perhaps it would be better if someone more experienced in tactics and command were to take charge of planning the upcoming action.

In such a case, you could not think of a more qualified candidate than yourself.

1) Despite its shortcomings, Lewes's plan of battle should serve.
2) No, I will take charge.

Sir Alaric d'al Ortiga

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
2. We are Dragoons. We have years of experience, fighting both winning and losing battles, possibly more years than this officer. While his plan is simple, there are many flaws to it. The questions becomes do we wish to simply devour the enemy or drive them off?

You shake your head. "No, Lieutenant, I'm not sure what you have in mind will quite do the trick."

Lewes glares back at you. "You think you can do better?" he growls, throwing all pretence at courtesy aside, his frustration amplified by his impotence. After all, he is a lieutenant, a brevet lieutenant at that, and is in no position to disregard the opinion of a captain.

One of the Experimentals, a brown-haired, brutish-looking man with sergeant's stripes on his arm, elbows his way through. "We've got company, Mister Lewes, sir," he announces in a light Warburtonian lilt. "Same lot as last time, headed this way."

Lewes grimaces, then nods as he turns to you. "Aye, you think you can do better? Here's your chance to prove it."

They turn to you, Experimentals and dragoons both, waiting for your order. Two courses of action spring to mind.

First, you could pull your dragoons back behind the bend in the road, using Lewes's men as bait to lure the enemy close before unleashing your mounted dragoons in a great counter-charge to the Antari flank. The risk would be great, both to your men and Lewes's, but it's your best shot at wiping out the enemy.

Alternatively, you could keep Lewes's men out of it altogether; have them withdraw while your own men keep the enemy at bay with their carbines. If you could beat the enemy back with the weight of your fire alone, it would certainly be less chancy than throwing your men into a melee.

If.

1) I'll lure the enemy in, then hit them with a counter-charge.
2) I order Lewes to retreat and have my dragoons cover him.

Sir Alaric d'al Ortiga

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom