Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, uh, I'm extremely sorry about this. What I thought would be an easy month is turning out to be my busiest month of the year, since some things at work didn't quite go as expected and I now have a very looming deadline to meet. I'll try to figure out an update schedule, but I doubt I'll have time till Christmas is over.

Again, my apologies.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Just barely, but as of yesterday it looks like I've made it through. Unfortunately part of my continuing bad luck with work proceeded to involve the loss of some particularly important data (thanks, water damage), causing my absence for the entirety of January. That also included the notes I had planned for this CYOA, and with that gone plus the overly lengthy hiatus I feel like all momentum has stalled to a point where I can't make satisfactory progress with this project any further. It's quite a shame since I don't like to drop projects half done, but I have to admit defeat for this one.

Which means we should probably start up a new one.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Something simple, not as lengthy to get me back in the groove. I'm certainly out of practice at the moment and not ready for a long project just yet. There's a short concept I've had in mind for a while: the events of a single night (or day), played successively through the perspectives of multiple characters. Each character will get not more than 10 chapters before we move on to the next.

It'd start off as something like this:

Night of the Hummingbird

Ankida. The greatest and oldest city on the continent, the center of the once burgeoning Shinar Empire. Many have dubbed the Empire the Sick Man of the Old World and dismissed it as a failing government clinging onto outdated monarchy through sheer pride, nostalgia and no little stubbornness. Still, even with the Empire’s strength sapped by years of war and the changing winds of history, the brilliance of Ankida itself remains undiminished. It is still a metropolis that many poets have titled the Jewel of the World in countless poems and songs. It is, still, the cradle of minds and egos that have gone on to do great things, as it has been for millennia. No matter how many Emperors have ruled it, no matter the philosophies of the land it stands on, no matter how many young, upstart nations stake their claim to importance, Ankida is still the pivot on which the world turns.

And on this night, in the mansion of the most influential noble of the Empire, amidst the howling gales of republicanism that are storming the continent, the world is about to revolve once more around this ancient city…

Tonight would go down in history as the Night of the Hummingbird.

For as an old Shinari verse goes, the hummingbird drinks nectar by day, and blood by night.

Choose a character to follow:

A. Lady Orlessa Ramsesphilios (52) - Spouse of Lord Ramsesphilios. Noted philanthropist, social butterfly and avid gardener. Her reach amongst the ladies of high society is said to rival that of her husband’s own amongst the Council of Nobles. Organizer of tonight’s banquet.

B. Natia Ramsesphilios (18) – Sole daughter of House Ramsesphilios. A young woman who knows her family’s influence and is not afraid to use it. Tonight’s banquet serves as her debut into high society.

C. Vitruvius Camna (23) - Scion of House Camna, a militaristic family of nobles that has seen better days. Having recently graduated summa cum laude from the Imperial Academy, he is keen to prove his worth. He has become famous as one of the advocates against the spread of republicanism in the Empire.

D. Ambassador Zhang (46) - The Higashi ambassador. Descended from a long line of Concordiat diplomats and fluent in seven languages, he has been stationed in Ankida for more than a decade. His tenure has gained him many allies amongst the Ankidans due to his gregarious nature.

E. Eannos Lumen (23) - A manservant of the Ramsesphilios family. Inanna’s brother. Was once a cadet in the Imperial Academy’s military wing, but dropped out due to personal circumstances. A brooding young man that still maintains contact with certain more radical elements of the military.

F. Inanna Lumen (18) - A maid of the Ramsesphilios family. Eannos’s younger sister. Unaware of her brother’s activities. A kind and gentle girl that is the apple of Lady Orlessa’s eye, even above her own daughter.

G. Wulfric Wendelltyr (25) - A young inventor from the Skane Republic. Under patronage from Lady Orlessa, he has taken up residence in Ankida. Invited by his patron to demonstrate his recent invention: a steam-powered stage play. His neuroticism and nervousness makes him a poor fit for a banquet, however.

H. Nameless (20s?) - A young man with neither clothes nor memory to his belonging. He finds himself sitting on the walls of the mansion grounds with no idea whatsoever as to how he got there.

Baltika9

Arcane
Welcome back, bro!
H
I want to probe the ground before committing to any one character. The nameless fella, probably a spook, will do.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Camna or Ean, if we're gonna do this, then try murdering the other characters.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, if you guys are fine with it then we'll give it a proper go in a new topic.

Kipeci

Arcane
It's fantastic to have you back! Shame about the present LP and all, but nothing to be done about that. Unfortunate circumstances with that water damage and all.

I think if you were to turn the sample here into an actual LP I would most like to go with Ambassador Zhang. We're hopping between characters, so it makes little sense to kill the others off unless they do something to make our character think it is a good idea or if they appear generally repugnant. He's a likable guy and under diplomatic protection, so we could probably be a little more aggressive in questioning others to get a base of information than we cpuld get away with in other characters. A short and focused story may be just the trick!

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Our young overlord did make a mess of things, but keep in mind: he reproduced. That alone makes him more successful than most of our characters.

Pressing/voting F to pay respects.

lightbane

Arcane
Rather a sad end. But hey, Erd got laid and lived to tell the tale (sorta), so it's a partial win!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom