Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nevill, I covered all that. Again, none of these feelings absolutely and directly imply that we loved her. Only that we had a relationship and desperately want to rescue her - for what end is anyone's guess. Also, if our other self is the original Shino, I find it odd that he would so easily murder the sister of the girl he loves, knowing that she will be watching everything.
There is a consistent feeling of pain/guilt/loss that accompanies our memories of Seika. That should be the answer to what 'end' Seiji wanted to save her. He bears her no ill will.

Shinohara might have suffered from a 'split' personality just as we are suffering from it now. The deeds Uehara told us about that make us look guilty may be due to the influence of this 'another'. It isn't clear who 'the original Shino' was.

Alternatively, the 'neighbour' does not want to murder Uehara. You have nothing to base that on yet. This is actually something that we might want to ask her about - if we killed her during any of the nights. Considering the bitchbitchbicth voice we probably did, but how often it happened?

As for our other self and his clear goals - we ourselves have goals based on the info we know.
Our goal - as stated at the beginning of the fifth night - is to rescue the people we care about and get out. There is nothing more than that. That's why I find the agenda of the 'neighbour' strange unless he is behind the original plan (the one that landed people in here in the first place, or perhaps some other one that we don't know about) in some way or the other.

Our other self did just say that he was in the habit of talking to himself - that suggests he has been talking to us before.
He was clearly mocking us.

Us not hearing the others may have something to do with fixing our personality as the leading one during the end of the previous chapter. We aren't just a nameless fragment anymore, and so may be less likely to be affected by 'lesser' beings.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Upon reviewing the chapter, I think it is far more likely that that was the original Shino as you say. He is on a first name basis with Seika and you are right, all he said was that she was a liability, not that he was going to kill her.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Naptime

You sit down on the floor, making yourself comfortable. “If you want the book, you can come and take it. I will be right here.”

“Stubborn to the end, I see,” grimaces Kayano. “Very well. Let’s see how long you can last in there.” She turns around and approaches Kozaka, Shiba, Murano, Sawada and the maid in turn, whispering in their ear. Their expressions are grim after she has finished, and they begin to herd the ones who had been following you towards a corner, away from you. It looks like Uehara, Amanozaki and Sakimura will continue to be kept under guard.

After some time, everyone settles down, unable to maintain their heightened alertness despite the danger they think you pose. Perhaps they have become complacent from your inability to pass the barrier, or perhaps they do not think there would be anyone willing to help you get free anymore. Even Murano, who is supposed to be paid for his watchfulness, has lost his concentration; he is muttering to himself alone, rubbing the mark on his forehead.

“Hey, Leader,” someone whispers. It’s Sawada – he has chosen to approach you while you thinks nobody is looking… though of course, you see Kayano monitoring him watchfully from her perch on the sofa. “Tell me something… if we want you to destroy that book, you’d do it, right?”

Of course not! Tell him that, Acchan!

“D-Destroy? Didn’t you want to safeguard it?”

“That’s just what Kayano told us to say… she said if we were upfront about our plan to destroy the book, the chances of you cooperating us would be even lower, right? She said that you would never give it up then. So, am I correct? You’d destroy it, right? We’d trust you then, even if you are a ghost. I mean, not all ghosts are bad, after all, right?

Right… yeah, of course it’s not right! The nerve of this guy, asking you to destroy your most faithful and loyal and bestest companion!

Ei seems to be rather offended, but you find yourself agreeing with her opinion, even if only partially. Without her help, you are not sure if you would have made it so far. The ghosts in Kaimei are proving to be a lot more brutal and deadly than they were back in Ikei. “You’re… asking a lot, Sawada-san. Besides, it’s not fair to ask me to destroy the book without telling me why.”

Sawada seems crestfallen when you do not reply in the affirmative. He begins to explain, “Well, the book has to be destroyed because it’s the-“

“Sawada-san, why are you telling him so much?” Kayano asks, looming over him.

Oh, here she is! Come on, Acchan, let me break the barrier and hug that old hag to death!

“Ah, uh, Kayano-san, just attempting to convince Shinoseki-san to cooperate with us.”

“Would he, now? Now that you’ve told him this, I am certain he will not hand the book over. Is that not so, Shinoseki-san?”

You shrug. “Maybe if you told me why it should be destroyed.”

“Well, let’s see… what if I told you that it’s the thing that is keeping us trapped here?” she says conspiratorially.

You lying, stupid, cow-tittied-

“What proof do you have?”

Kayano merely smiles enigmatically and walks away, leaving you and Sawada behind.

“Sawada-san, what did she tell you?”

Sawada shakes his head. “I’m… sorry, I need to think about this.” He looks slightly perplexed, rubbing his chin as if something has slipped his mind and he is trying to remember it. As he walks off, leaving you alone yet again, you spot Amanozaki and Uehara conferring off to one side. Uehara raises her head and glances at you – your eyes meet for just a second before she continues talking to Amanozaki.

You continue waiting, and their guard has become even more relaxed. Some of them have even fallen asleep, draped over the couches and benches. Even so, it does not seem like anything can be done at the moment; touching the barrier, it is just as firm as it was before. You hunch over, the boredom overtaking you. Your eyelids begin to droop, and you nod off…

You catch yourself before your chin touches your chest. “I don’t have much time, do I?” you mutter, looking at the circle on the floor. Then, you glance at Kayano, who has continued to keep an eye on you like a hawk. “Kayano-san,” you whisper, throwing your voice so that she hears it most clearly. “Kayano-san, I have something to tell you.” You raise your hand and beckon at her amicably like a cat.

Her eyebrows arched, she walks over to you with a prideful strut. “What is it? Are you finally seeing reason?”

“I just wanted to praise you, Kayano-san,” you nod, speaking softly so that only she can hear. “It must not have been easy to create this barrier.”

“I have no idea what you are talking about, Shinoseki-san. That is rather besides the point, isn’t it? What is important is the grimoire-“

“The people at IAE believe that the soul can be read, that it is unseen energy which contains information, and of course, that it has its own wavelength and frequency. Attuning a barrier on such short notice, without any proper equipment… that is no easy task, Kayano-san. I am sincerely impressed. They have taught you well.”

The smug smile freezes on her face. “Wh-What…”

What is going on?

“Or should I call you Rina-sensei? You have been a rather successful triple-agent, haven’t you? I hope it paid well.”

At your words, her expression transforms into one of recognition, and then fear. Kayano’s knees give way and she falls to the floor, bringing her to your level. You lean forward, staring right into her eyes. “It can’t be you. No, this is impossible… y-you are supposed to be dead. Why are you…” she mumbles, her words tumbling out in a rapid cadence.

Wait.

“We are all dead, Rina,” you say coldly, your smile melting away as you draw yourself up to your full height.

“No… no… he promised… I’m not supposed to be here!” she croaks hoarsely, still staring up at you in fright.

You let out a little laugh, causing her to shrink back. “He didn’t bring you here, but he will not lift a finger to save you either.” Giving her a scathing look, you continue, “Grandfather has abandoned you, you pathetic woman. There will be no escape for you.”

“That’s… that’s not true, if I can only…” Her brow furrows and her fists clench, as if deciding to fight for the book, but by now you can see through her act easily enough – part of the fear and hostility is genuine, but the rest is a façade, an attempt to keep you cautious long enough for her to run.

What are you going to do? I… I can...

The mental resistance seems to cause you to falter for a second. “Do not interfere,” you hiss under your breath. A flash of intent tells you what is going to happen next. You are going to pass through the barrier, and then you are going to kill Kayano. She is tensed up, ready to flee, but you will not give her the chance to become some recurring thorn in your side. You are faster, stronger.

Out of the corner of your eye you see Uehara and Amanozaki heading your way.

A. You desperately increase your resistance, attempting to regain control of your body before you break free of the barrier.

B. You attempt to time your attempt so that you are free of the barrier, but before Kayano is killed.

C. You do not interfere. You will try to retake control after Kayano is dead.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
“We are all dead, Rina,” you say coldly, your smile melting away as you draw yourself up to your full height.
Oh. Oh my. I just had an evilgasm.

That's how you do it. We should stop being a sissy and take a lesson in verbal abuse and manipulation from our Nii-san. :rpgcodex::love:

Will have to ponder over the choices. For the moment I am perfectly willing to let Kayano flee and pick up from where we left. Tempted to go with B so that we are out of the barrier and thus do not have to depend on others to free us. Besides, that proves we aren't a ghost quite nicely, ja? Maybe.

Seiji is cute and helpful, but this is our shared body now, and I like having a say in what happens. I think we should defy him, but also use his actions to our common advantage so we don't have to constantly fight among each other.

He gets what he wants - his freedom and time to go on a ghost-hunt, - and we get to keep our groupies. Ideally, that is.

Do we want the groupies if the most gullible of them are under an impression that we are the one who keeps them trapped in here? That's the question.

Not to mention that B will basically announce to Uehara that Seiji is here. The drastic change in Kayano's demeanor, the attempt to kill her, and then a sudden stop (if we pull it off)? Yeah, that has 'split personality' written all over it.

It isn't certain that we can regain control fast enough, either. It might be wiser to wait this one up while we subdue our 'neighbour' and let the others free us since there woud be no one to whisper in their ears. Uehara and Amanozaki are heading to us right now.

Also,
You continue waiting, and their guard has become even more relaxed. Some of them have even fallen asleep, draped over the couches and benches. Even so, it does not seem like anything can be done at the moment; touching the barrier, it is just as firm as it was before. You hunch over, the boredom overtaking you. Your eyelids begin to droop, and you nod off…
He totally 'assumes control' when we are on a brink of losing consciousness. We lost our memory/connection to the body during the first night when we nodded off - so at least that's confirmed.

Things also went downhill from there with Amanozaki and Uehara turning up dead, but we don't really know if that was his doing.

What we know, though, is that Taketatsu said that we suggested him to sacrifice the rest, Maeda and Mitsuki included.

Wait,
“No… no… he promised… I’m not supposed to be here!” she croaks hoarsely, still staring up at you in fright.
AHHHAHAHAHA! :lol::lol::lol:

Some of them actually believe that this is not happening and that they are partaking in a harmless experiment. And I wondered how Taketatsu managed to end up here.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Also, to keep the tradition of bitching about something, we totes wasted a perfect opportunity to have some bonding with Ei and find out what kind of men she prefers.

:shunthenonbeliever:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, to keep the tradition of bitching about something, we totes wasted a perfect opportunity to have some bonding with Ei and find out what kind of men she prefers.

:shunthenonbeliever:
Acchan is the kind of men she prefers.

Nevill

Arcane
But we now have an evil competent twin. Does she love us enough not to be seduced to the dark side? I bet he will keep her better-fed than we do!

Screw Uehara and Sakimura, this is the ultimate love triangle!

Kz3r0

Arcane
But we now have an evil competent twin. Does she love us enough not to be seduced to the dark side? I bet he will keep her better-fed than we do!

Screw Uehara and Sakimura, this is the ultimate love triangle!
I don't think so, she seemed frightened by him.

Nevill

Arcane
I don't think so, she seemed frightened by him.
Where? When? She was just worried about us when we stopped responding.

The truth is, he is a bigger pimp than we'll ever be. He already had Maeda at his beck and call when he was but a boy, and his latest miko conquest was only recently. We, on the other hand, are still alone after hundreds of nights spent in this place. We must be ever watchful, lest he steals the few women we have managed not to drive away. :salute:

Baltika9

Arcane
A
I don't think there is any guarantee of us regaining control in time and I'd rather not risk it.

Kipeci

Arcane
C. Kill her off and let Ei eat her soul. I vastly prefer seeing our counterpart take charge of the situation.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I don't think there is any guarantee of us regaining control in time and I'd rather not risk it.
s8lx1fbc7g.jpg

I'll probably vote for A. Since our rescue team is already approaching and the biggest detractor tries to flee the scene, I don't see any reason for rash moves in these circumstances.

Worst comes to worst, we can always leave the barrier by ourselves. The only reason why we didn't break it earlier was that we didn't want to scare people further. Perhaps we shouldn't do it now either.

I am open to considering B if anyone can come up with a rationale why it would be beneficial.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
The first question is what B will look like to Uehara et al. if it is successful. Will they think, "omfg he is super magic ghost he can break out"? Or will it show them that at the very least Kayano's logic wasn't perfect?

The second question is whether A or B would even succeed at all, and what might happen when we try them. B isn't guaranteed either since it's very fine grained. It feels like one possible result might be that we collargrab Kayano but then manage to stop from striking any lethal blow. In other words, it certainly wouldn't look wonderful to everybody watching. I think it's a bit hopeful to think we'll just calmly step through, snap out of it, and go "hey guys".

We shouldn't rely on Uehara et al. approaching as a good sign for us, though. I wouldn't call them a rescue team. They aren't likely to swallow all of Kayano's bullshit but they also aren't likely to actively help us out just yet.

One big problem with A is that if it succeeds, then we haven't changed the situation at all. I'm not talking about exiting the barrier - that isn't the main thing. What it risks doing is restoring some of Kayano's confidence while redoubling her hate. What's it going to look like if we scare the shit out of her, move towards the barrier... then bounce back looking a bit confused? Best case scenario is she runs away screaming anyway, but more likely scenario is that she will become even more singleminded in rounding up the others to harm us more permanently.

B>A.

Nevill

Arcane
The first question is what B will look like to Uehara et al. if it is successful. Will they think, "omfg he is super magic ghost he can break out"? Or will it show them that at the very least Kayano's logic wasn't perfect?
The whole logic of Kayano hinges on us being a ghost who is unable to cross barriers.

If we are a SUPER ghost, then they are at our mercy anyway. If we wanted to do them harm, we would have done so by now, seeing how they have nothing to stop us with. So unless we start killing people left and right, they will accept us as the only force that can make a difference in their survival chances. That should not be a problem.

If they keep being morons, we just pack up and leave - it's not like they can do anything to hinder us.

We shouldn't rely on Uehara et al. approaching as a good sign for us, though. I wouldn't call them a rescue team. They aren't likely to swallow all of Kayano's bullshit but they also aren't likely to actively help us out just yet.
So what do you think they are approaching to do? I mean, the rest of them want to destroy the book, and those two saw us saving their asses with it. Naturally, they will continue Kayano's line, that's exactly what they were being kept under surveillance for.

Remember, we can leave the barrier anytime, and Uehara should know that. She knows the whole deal, but she is not doing anything and instead waits to see how we react. She also said the truth about what she saw and went against Kayano's word. What do you think she is doing and why is she doing it with Amanozaki (whom she can't otherwise stand)?

A potential problem with resistance is that Seiji is unlikely to take it well, prompting a scene where we make our dual-personality known to others. The knowledge that her 'nemesis' is here with us might affect how Uehara views us, depending on how ugly it is going to turn out and how good we are at damage control.

One big problem with A is that if it succeeds, then we haven't changed the situation at all. I'm not talking about exiting the barrier - that isn't the main thing. What it risks doing is restoring some of Kayano's confidence while redoubling her hate.
It changes everything pretty nicely. What Kayano knows now is that Seiji is here - that's what we have achieved with our words. She knows his power - there was a very quick change in her demeanor when she realized 'oh shit, he can get out!'. Our actions do not alter that - he still can get out, it's just we are not letting him for the time being.

What's it going to look like if we scare the shit out of her, move towards the barrier... then bounce back looking a bit confused?
She will run away thanking the fate for another chance at life.

Even if she realizes that there are two of us, it does not change the fact that Seiji is here, he wants her dead, and he can make her dead, others be damned. Staying with us even for a moment longer is pushing it. What if we lose control? She will flee.

Best case scenario is she runs away screaming anyway, but more likely scenario is that she will become even more singleminded in rounding up the others to harm us more permanently.
All it takes from us is to let Seiji roam free even for a minute and we can indeed have a permanent solution to our problem. Kayano is scared to death because she knows she can't best him. I don't see how she would do anything else, because she can't count on us valuing her life too much to keep restricting him.

Also, while I am at it, there are two interesting questions to be asked.

First, while the question of who is or was Shinohara Seiji is central to our current investigation, I think we are missing an even bigger one. Who the hell is Shinoseki Adachi?

See, we never asked ourselves that, because hey, don't you know, it's us, dummy! But who is it - 'us'? Where does our personality come from?

Kayano seems to know something about us. She knew enough to attune her spell to our soul - which she didn't expect to be Seiji's and apparently it isn't. She also acted pretty smug about the whole affair, dismissing us as a threat. But what does she know of us? How come we occupy Seiji's body and the people behind the project are certain that his personality is dead and we are all that remain? I suspect that Seiji faked his death at some point and let us 'take the wheel', but where do we originate from, in that case? How did we end up here? Are we an arteficial creation by IAE that was supposed to supplant him? Is the complete absence of our personal memories a hint that we may have never existed as a person?

Second,
You lying, stupid, cow-tittied-
Why does Ei talk about it like it is something bad? Tit envy much?

I bet her human form is flat as a board and no amount of magic can fix that. :cool:

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Urge to kill rising...

Am I the only one that wants to switch and permanently play as the original Shino?

Nevill

Arcane
No, you also have Kipeci backing you up.

I just thought how he is an ideal character for you - ruthless, competent, petty and vindictive. :lol:

But his harem is dead while ours is still breathing (mostly), so I am staying with Shino Jr. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom