Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA]The Hyborian Age

Cassidy

Arcane
C

Kz3r0

Arcane
Rune Warrior

Kairn tried the window fo a while then he approached Jeanyl and woke him up with a kick, the boy moaned half asleep, the Cimmerian rudely made him get up and conducted the boy to the window.
"Open it.", Janyel gave him a puzzled look, "Why?", "I saw Ulfir running in the snow, I want to see where has gone."
"Are you sure, where someone can go at this time of the night?" asked the boy unlocking the window and opening it wide, "It's what I want to know." said Kairn securing a furskin over his body, with feline agility he clmbed onto the woodframe, after a few instants balancing himself he leapt down landing in the fresh snow on all fours, sword in hand, from that crouched position he launched himself after the Vanir like a panther.
Janyel closed the window, unsure of what to do, the room had noticeably cooled down, he cautiously opened the door, seeing no one around the boy decided to go downstairs to warm himself up at the fireplace

Kairn continued to follow the footprints Ulfir left, evidently the Vanir wasn't using any precaution, the trail proceded in a straight line, the cimmerian nonetheless readied himself for any occurence, his gaze darting at any bush or mound of snow that could host an ambush.
Now the trail became tortuous, going deep in the most thick part of the woods, with all his senses alert Kairn continued to follow the footprints, now more cautiously.

Janyel walked down the stairs, the tavern was illuminated only by the crackling fire.
"Come to fetch some wine for the cimmerian?".
The boy stiffened, he was halfway the fireplace and now finally saw that there was someone at the far side of the table where the light of the fire barely reached, it was Ramiras.
"So, enjoying yourselves?" asked the Zingarian with an insinuating tone.
The boy hesitated, unsure on how to answer, something that didn't go unnoticed, "I see.", Ramiras frowned, "Well you can take this wine, I drinked enough." his tone now was the usual merry one with a hint of condescendence.
Janyel was still hesitating, the Zingarian pushed the terracotta carafe in front of him towards the boy to encourage him.
Janyel moved some uncertain steps towards the table, Ramiras looked at him disconcerted, "Is something wrong?" he asked.
"No, it's that..." Janyel was almost stuttering at this point, the Zingarian stood up and approached the boy, "What's the problem?" he asked again leaning towards the boy, now they were face to face.
"He, he left." utered in a frightened tone Janyel.
"Who left?"
"Kairn, he jumped out of the window."
Ramiras straightened up with a puzzled look, "To go where, did he feell nostalgic for his kin, wolves and bears?"
"N-no, he saw someone running into the woods, he called him Ulfir, I think."
Ramiras emitted a loud sigh, "Barbarians, well come with me." and in saying so he diretcted himself at the stairs.
Janyel remained frozen in place, "Move on, I need you to speak with Valdyr." hurried him the Zingarian impatiently, the boy at this point rushed after him on the second floor.

Now Kairn was proceeding through bushes and knit tight tall trees, it was almost passing through a wooden barricade, then a large clear space opened up in front of him and he saw Ufir knelt in front of a stone altar.
The Vanir was muttering something barely audible when he broke into a loud laughter.
"Come out dog, I know you are there.", in saying so he raised up, two bronze axes in hand and turned to face the Cimmerian.
Now Kairn could see the trails in the fresh snow left by the altar and the hole in front of it hosting a ragged skeleton, the tomb of a hero perhaps?
Kairn slowly advanced towards ulfir that was still laughing maniacally.
"Thanks Ymir for delivering my prey to me." in saying so the Vanir sprung forth jumping with the axes raised over his head, he was fast but Kairn was quicker, he too sprung forth impaling the Vanir with his sword straight under the sternum, the blade going all way trough out of the back.
Just out of sheer reflex the Cimerian extracted his sword and jumped back, that saved his life, the falling axes only managed to graze his head and cut a lock of hair.
Retroceedng some more Kairn saw the gushing wound on the body of the Vanir rapidly close and in few seconds no trace of it remained.
"You can't kill me dog, I am immortal."
Kairn answer was a snicker, "It's just the power of the runes, as expected by a coward."
"So you know.", Ulfir's expression darkened for a moment.
"Yes, I know of rune warriors, cowards too afraid to die, uncapable of confront an enemy face to face."
"How you dare dog, Cimmerians too use the power of runes, I saw their champion on the battlefield covered with them from head to toe."
At this point Kairn was showered with a flurry of blows by the two axes, he barely managed to fend off the onslaught with his blade when a powerful kick sent him flying against a mound of snow, the Cimmerian almost lost his breath when slamming hard aginst the stone that was under it.
He quickly pointed the tip of the blade in front of him as defence, balancing himself with the free hand against the rock behind him.
There his fingertips felt deep engravings, runes, with a quick glance he saw that there were other snow mounds distanced in a regular fashion, outlining the border of the open space where they were.
A rune circle, that was bad, probably inside there Ulfir had the advantge, getting out was probably very hard tho.
In that moment Kairn briefly reminisced about the stories his father told him of the various battles fought by his people, Vanir rune warriors could be killed instantly if the Ymir rune carved onto their bodies was struck directly.
Or just cutting off their head was enough thought Kairn tightening the grip on the hilt of his sword with both hands.

----------------------------------------------------

A)Try to get outside of the rune circle.

B)Try to cut off Ulfir's head.

Free option - Choose a body part to strike.
You add to your vote where you want to stab Ulfir, you can choose only one body part, the target can't be too wide tho, chest for example is not a valid choice.
If someone manages to guess correctly is instawin in the next update even if A or B won, unless there are objections.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"So you know.", Ulfir's expression darkened for a moment.
Judging by his question, the rune is not somewhere obvious where everyone could see it. My assumption would be that it is on a leg or on the back of his body.

A
, and let's try the right thigh. Is that location acceptable?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
So... does that mean the runes are invisible, or that they only glow when they manifest their powers, or what? Or maybe we are confusing it for a scar on his body?

Sorry, not at all familiar with the setting. :|

Totally forgot he is naked, too.

Kz3r0

Arcane
So... does that mean the runes are invisible, or that they only glow when they manifest their powers, or what?
Nope, you only can't see any on his body.
Or maybe we are confusing it for a scar on his body?

so he noticed that while all of them sported the scars of many battles two of them were an exception even if for different resons, Valdyr's body showed the most terrible scars
[...]
the other was Ulfir, his body didn't show any visible sign of wounds of any kind,
Sorry, not at all familiar with the setting.
The setting ha nothing to do with it.
I just try to fill the blanks in Howard's lore adding some stuff on my own to make this more gamey.
The concept of this 'puzzle' only needs common knowledge and a bit of luck.
You confront a seemingly immortal enemy.
You know that is the power of a special rune on his body.
You know that striking that will surely kill him.
You can't see any trace of it on hi naked boby.
Must be in a place that is not normally visible, if you have ever been in a locker room in a gym you can use that as reference.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, normally that'd be a sole or an underarm.

Alright, change my guess to the right underarm.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Anus.
200603242257-pix1.jpg

asxetos

Augur
B. I ll go with left sole too.

Edit: Nevill is correct, no need to vote the same part twice.
Changing my suggestion to mouth/tongue.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Wait, what is the point of guessing the same place twice if even one correct guess leads to the desired result? :?

Kz3r0

Arcane

Kz3r0

Arcane
:hmmm:

It is going to remain a mystery. :negative:
No, it's just that I am unhappy on how the update is shaping up, I will rewrite it again one last time and move on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom