Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LucasArts Shut Down

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Oh come on!

oh-come-on-gif.gif

Have we reached new lows here? Since when copy/pasting (stealing) news from other websites gets you BROFISTS!?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/brofists.php

:troll:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Meh, when the fuck did they last release something good?
Far as I'm concerned, they died when they decided not to make any Loom sequels.
FUCK THEM!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Later, when Far Cry 2 designer Clint Hocking joined LucasArts, he and a small team spent a year and a half designing their open-world game—a "wonderfully complex game driven by choice and consequence" that never quite got the resources it needed, according to one person familiar with Hocking's project. That project was also cancelled, and Hocking left the company in mid-2012.

Vault Dweller Even Far Cry designers are using your term now. :lol:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
In news that will certainly crush anyone who enjoyed LucasArts-branded adventure games, the team at LucasArts Singapore was working on a remastered version of the classic point-and-click game Day of the Tentacle, according to three people familiar with that project. Like the special editions of the first two Monkey Island games, released in 2009 and 2010, the remastered Day of the Tentacle would be pseudo-3D, with remade background art and cut-scenes redone to run at 30 frames per second.

Although this Day of the Tentacle remake was never officially greenlit, two sources say it was almost finished. One person familiar with the project pegs it at 80% done. But it was never approved, and the company's higher-ups had no interest in continuing to make what they called "legacy" titles like this one. So the game remains unreleased—and perhaps there's a near-finished Day of the Tentacle HD sitting on a shelf somewhere in Singapore, never to be touched again.

There aren't enough FUUUUUU emoticons in the world to describe how crushing this news is.

funkadelik

Arcane
I had so much fun with Dark Forces 2 multiplayer mods...that's about where my relationship with Lucas Arts ended.

Divinity: Original Sin
They've said recently that 1313 was about boba fett. Though I have nothing against boba fett, I'm glad this game is not released. A new protagonist would be much better.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It was originally supposed to be a new protagonist. But then Lucas himself intervened and mandated that it should be about Boba Fett.

Yes, some of them weren't happy about that, but they managed, and if what they claim is true, IMPROVED the game by changing it to star Boba Fett. For one reason: The jetpack.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And a DOTT sequel cancelled that was nearly complete ? :(

:rage:

FUCK YOU GEORGE LUCASSSSS!
A HD remake, not a sequel. The Monkey Island remakes were nice for the voice acting, but the HD graphics were very weak next to the original art. DOTT is already fucking gorgeous and has wonderful voice acting, so nothing could be gained from a HD remake.

Even a sequel would suck, since none of the original developers would be involved...

Ninjerk

Arcane
They've said recently that 1313 was about boba fett. Though I have nothing against boba fett, I'm glad this game is not released. A new protagonist would be much better.

I'm glad that, for now, Boba Fett's reputation won't be sullied. I remember reading in my X-Wing strategy guide that Fett was a veteran of the Clone Wars, whatever those were, not some bitch clone kid.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Somewhat. He was part of a group called the Journeyman Protectors I believe, and he was kicked out for murdering someone. EU also had him surviving the Sarlacc pit and climbing out. That's as much as his character had been developed by the time I quit reading EU books.

Boleskine

Arcane
George Lucas intervening and providing 'creative input' on something is like the kiss of death.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The guy is awful because nobody has the balls to tell him "No George, that's not how things fucking work. That's a bad idea, George."
Honestly, these developers deserve what they get if they can't say no to a soft spoken gray bearded fatty.

Boleskine

Arcane
The guy is awful because nobody has the balls to tell him "No George, that's not how things fucking work. That's a bad idea, George."
Honestly, these developers deserve what they get if they can't say no to a soft spoken gray bearded fatty.

Sadly it seems like if people had spoken against George they probably would have been fired. George surrounded himself with yes men for years in order to avoid criticism.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Then get fired for fucks sake and save yourself the trouble.
And I doubt George would have fired them if they had fucking explained to him that it can't be done because that's not how the game process works.
It's games, not movies.
No, instead they cower and say Yez mastah like good house niggers, again and again.
And then they have the fucking nerve to act all surprised and upset that they never release a game and the fucking studio closes.

Boleskine

Arcane
George doesn't strike me as someone who would respond positively to constructive criticism from a lowly peon (from his perspective).

They were probably so intimidated by his presence that instead of telling him why he was an idiot, they just submitted to his illogical and absurd suggestions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Fall Of The Empire: How Inner Turmoil Brought Down LucasArts

Relevant part for RPG fans, describing Jim Ward, manager of LucasArts in 2005:

In 2005, LucasArts’ portfolio of releases consisted of just five titles, yet, according to NPD data, the company’s sales ranking rose to eighth, up from thirteenth in the previous year. Out of the top ten selling games that year, Star Wars: Battlefront II ranked sixth, and Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith held the eighth slot. The other titles – Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, Lego Star Wars (published by Eidos), and Star Wars: Republic Commando – all sold well.

From a numbers standpoint, LucasArts seemed like it was well on its way to becoming a publishing powerhouse. Ward’s hope was that LucasArts would be a top-five publisher by 2008.

Behind the scenes, however, all was not well. Numerous LucasArts employees, all who wish to remain anonymous, recall the company spiraling out of control during this prosperous time.

“Jim Ward’s leadership style was not for everybody,” one source says. “He was a challenging person to get to understand. He came from the film side. His objective was nothing less than changing the way the entire industry worked by the sheer force of his own will. He was quoted several times basically saying, ‘I don’t understand why video games can be late. When Industrial Light and Magic works on Harry Potter, they don’t have a choice to be late. The movie’s going to open. The effects have to be done. You don’t get it. There’s no choice. So I don’t understand why we get in this situation where games can be late.’ It turned out that he couldn’t change the way the industry worked in the way he desired. But he was the type of guy who wouldn’t take, ‘That’s just how it’s done’ for an answer.”

Do you remember what game came out in 2005? :M Duraframe300

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom