Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ludo Lense Thread

Higher Animal

Arcane
Ludo Lense

I think your opinions are shit, to be honest.

- Your point about open world game design is irrelevant if not irrational. Fallout 1's water chip quest is "good" open world design because of what reason? That it's indirectly impactful in the gameworld? Can be solved in a certain order? Can be solved in different ways? You are essentially saying the main quest in WL2 is more important than in Fallout 1 and reduces the number of options a player character can choose in the open world. So what? Open world games do not need to have a certain approach to linearity. They do not need to to check a certain box in order to be entertaining or engrossing. The point is that you are remarking about the easel rather than the painting. It's useless verbiage.

- Ironically, you make a lot of bad pop culture references and shitty analogies in your video while criticizing WL2 for winking at the audience. Why don't you take the time to explain your examples in depth?

- Story is criticized for not being either completely tongue in cheek or completely gritty. This is not a valid criticism. Pacing, writing quality, suspense, intrigue, and plot development are not dependent on the genre or hybrid genre of the product.

- I'm fairly certain your argument against skill checks are rubbish. You are not entitled to a successful outcome in the game. Just because there is high failure rate percentage rolls doesn't mean that that is the only successful way to complete the game. The game was actually designed with multiple workarounds to conflicts. A video game DM can plan around unlucky dice rolls as well as incorporate multiple solutions for advancement. The skill checks are there to encourage smart character development and tension.

Sorry but I don't think your criticisms are very interesting or get to the heart of the problems with Wasteland 2. Also, Fallout 3 is complete garbage without redemption.

Gregz

Arcane
You're a good reviewer.

Don't mind the flak you get for saying Fallout 3 is the worst of the series, but playable. This forum was originally built to discuss games like Fallout by guys who hung out on an IRC channel called #Fallout...so naturally that title is a sacred cow around here, and Fallout 3 is regarded as a sacrilegious bastardization of the lineage.

Everyone jumped up and said "Hoorah" at NV when really the only real difference between the two is the writing and the more vibrant setting.
If that's really the only differences you think there are between the two games, and have played them both thoroughly, then your opinions on RPGs aren't worth shit.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Ludo Lense

I think your opinions are shit, to be honest.

- Your point about open world game design is irrelevant if not irrational. Fallout 1's water chip quest is "good" open world design because of what reason? That it's indirectly impactful in the gameworld? Can be solved in a certain order? Can be solved in different ways? You are essentially saying the main quest in WL2 is more important than in Fallout 1 and reduces the number of options a player character can choose in the open world. So what? Open world games do not need to have a certain approach to linearity. They do not need to to check a certain box in order to be entertaining or engrossing. The point is that you are remarking about the easel rather than the painting. It's useless verbiage.

- Ironically, you make a lot of bad pop culture references and shitty analogies in your video while criticizing WL2 for winking at the audience. Why don't you take the time to explain your examples in depth?

- Story is criticized for not being either completely tongue in cheek or completely gritty. This is not a valid criticism. Pacing, writing quality, suspense, intrigue, and plot development are not dependent on the genre or hybrid genre of the product.

- I'm fairly certain your argument against skill checks are rubbish. You are not entitled to a successful outcome in the game. Just because there is high failure rate percentage rolls doesn't mean that that is the only successful way to complete the game. The game was actually designed with multiple workarounds to conflicts. A video game DM can plan around unlucky dice rolls as well as incorporate multiple solutions for advancement. The skill checks are there to encourage smart character development and tension.

Sorry but I don't think your criticisms are very interesting or get to the heart of the problems with Wasteland 2. Also, Fallout 3 is complete garbage without redemption.

- You can take away whatever you want but what I said specifically is that open world quest design should contextualize a journey rather than a straightforward objective for the moment to moment play. The murder mystery during Arizona doesn't do that. The mission to make the people of LA know that the Desert Rangers are good people does do that. If you are making an open world rpg you should always ask yourself "If the player stops to mess around a couple of days in an area does it make sense in the context and urgency of the narrative?".

- No examples thus no point of discussion. The only thing that is referential and not explicit are the images of Dick and Lem. I hardly think those constitute "Shitty pop culture references" and I do think they are very representative of the sci-fi genre in american/russian culture.

-This not a valid rebuttal. I was not discussing genre I was discussing tone. Like I said, Big black dildo jokes and children with rape trauma don't mix. Yes I know Tarantino and Kojima exist but the writers of Wasteland 2 clearly don't have that level of postmodern scripting.

- "A video game DM"? What? From what I understand Wasteland 2 doesn't have any A.I. like Left for Dead that procedurally generates some aspects of the content. Also I am gonna out on a limb and say that most non-combat routes require skill checks.

-If Fallout 3 is beyond redemption I am curios what your opinion of Brotherhood of Steel is.

Higher Animal

Arcane
- You can take away whatever you want but what I said specifically is that open world quest design should contextualize a journey rather than a straightforward objective for the moment to moment play. The murder mystery during Arizona doesn't do that. The mission to make the people of LA know that the Desert Rangers are good people does do that. If you are making an open world rpg you should always ask yourself "If the player stops to mess around a couple of days in an area does it make sense in the context and urgency of the narrative?"

This is like saying that in order for a western to be a western it must have a showdown scene in the climax. An "open-world" rpg can do whatever it wants. You are describing the easel rather than the painting.
- No examples thus no point of discussion. The only thing that is referential and not explicit are the images of Dick and Lem. I hardly think those constitute "Shitty pop culture references" and I do think they are very representative of the sci-fi genre in american/russian culture.

You reference WoW, TES, and House of Cards. My point is that these references are poorly explained or do not serve your points very well. It's ironic to criticize a game for poorly done references when YOUR references are bad.
-This not a valid rebuttal. I was not discussing genre I was discussing tone. Like I said, Big black dildo jokes and children with rape trauma don't mix. Yes I know Tarantino and Kojima exist but the writers of Wasteland 2 clearly don't have that level of postmodern scripting.

I think the harm of this criticism if taken by any game developer will result in a more formulaic, scripted experience than trying to create a broader interactive environment incorporating multiple tone elements. I didn't particularly like a lot of the references or writing in Wasteland 2 but I respect trying to make the game humorous. For a man who criticizes "theme park" experiences in an open world game this is a peculiar criticism.
- "A video game DM"? What? From what I understand Wasteland 2 doesn't have any A.I. like Left for Dead that procedurally generates some aspects of the content. Also I am gonna out on a limb and say that most non-combat routes require skill checks.

A video game DM is the game designer.
-If Fallout 3 is beyond redemption I am curios what your opinion of Brotherhood of Steel is.

No opinion on the SRPG or console game.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Citizens of fair Codexia, during my travels in these lands I noticed there was no writing regarding the legendary tale named "Pillars of Eternity", a story surely worth of remembrance and discussion. How could Codexia not have a single tome regarding such an important subject? With great resolve I marched forward, gathering knowledge and means to craft a tome worthy of the legend. Though at times I faltered, I remember the words of Sir Joshington Sawyeris and thus I managed to balance my way to victory, even when faced with devious foes such as the dreaded muscular wizards. Dangerous and wondrous are the lands of fair Codexia but in the end I found victory in making a grimoire about the worthy tale. One could even say I managed to prosper.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Apocrypha:

Life got in the way so I sadly had a long hiatus with my channel. I wanted to releases a video in April but... life disagreed again. I started working on Witcher 3 but the PoE project was staring me in the face the whole time so I resolved to finish it up before the White March expansion. I already had the script (which was finished on April 21 if Word is to be believed) and a large part of the footage edited so I always felt bad looking at it. So with minor polish and modifications to the script I finally finished the damn thing.

While I did enjoy talking about PoE, this video is also about getting back into the swing of things and thus this is last 40 minute video I'll probably do. Even with my minimal production values, doing all this stuff alone is just harrowing at times. I am aiming for a more realistic 10 minute one every 1-2 weeks.

Oh and feedback is always welcome.

imweasel

45 minutes of "Baldur's Gate sucks but I like Pilllars of Eternity, so I am very happy that they are almost completely different".

roshan

Arcane
Great video, and it actually brought up good critiques I have not heard before.

roshan

Arcane
For those who aren't really interested in watching the video at the moment (me), what new critiques did it raise ?

Not much new with regards to mechanics, but there's interesting stuff there about setting, delivery of the plot, narrative, etc.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Trolling aside, I was bored and I watched the video. Pretty gud, tbh, but mostly it's just a compilation of the same criticism we saw being posted here over and over. Props for the NWN 1 comparison, tho. The PoE bar just keeps getting lower and lower.

Angthoron

Arcane
JESUS CHRIST, 42 minutes, are you trying to reach for smudboy's laurels or something?

Oh well, I'll watch it.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Delivery of the plot and narrative was heavily criticized here on the Codex, and is one of the main reasons why I never finished the game.
I actually liked the ending. Unnecessary and pointless REVEAL aside, it was a pretty good wrap-up for the narrative, and allowed for some last-minute decisions that affected the post-end slides (in addition to decisions you have made throughout the game) and felt like a well-deserved reward.

But I am nowhere near as disappointed with PoE as many people here - while not great, the game still ranks above both IWDs for me.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Trolling aside, I was bored and I watched the video. Pretty gud, tbh, but mostly it's just a compilation of the same criticism we saw being posted here over and over. Props for the NWN 1 comparison, tho. The PoE bar just keeps getting lower and lower.

I fully admit this fault. This review became my white whale. I was always agonizing if I should start a new one or just continue given how much effort I put into it. After I caved in and I started reading reviews (I don't do this when I am trying to write about games) I almost buried this Focal Point due to Darth Roxor's (I would tag him here but I don't know how) review. I mean we share a lot of the same points albeit my tone is much more calm.

I do admit that now that it is finished it is like having a stone taken off my chest.

Fairfax

Arcane
Good video. I disagree with some points, which I'll address in my analysis, but overall it's a good review.
Nitpick: you made your Edér use the Larder Door, which sucks. :M

I also wouldn't call the Cipher a CC, let alone the best one. It's a great ranged DD with excellent disables and buffs.

Angthoron

Arcane
32:13 - "Monumental" misspelled on the screen text

Good job with the review though, enjoyed watching it.

bonescraper

I stopped playing somwhere in 1/3 of the game, and this video made me realize how unbeliveably beautiful it is... and how i don't want to play it again. Such a waste.

Also, W2 waz gud.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom