Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Image of ship carrying your party remains static regardless of the direction of movement.

• Major decline. Well worth at least an image for four cardinal directions.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
You can currently create up to 12 characters and the party can contain up to five characters at a time. Characters can be dropped or added to the party at any time during the quest by visiting an adventurer guild in town. Is it necessary to have multiple quest/game save 'slots'? (For example, did anyone use more than one of the three slots for Save Game in L1?)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Ahhh... So saved instances of a particular game as opposed to multiple entirely different saved games. That definitely makes more sense as a usable feature. Only hurdle will be associating a snapshot of the character data file at the time of the save game (if that makes sense). I will see if I can work that out. Thank you!

PrettyDeadman

Seems pretty nice. When is it going to be available on steam? Also, why Lurking 1 isn't available on steam?

PrettyDeadman

Interesting game, but unskipable cutscene was not a good decision. Cheat money doesn't seem to work for some reason.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Seems pretty nice. When is it going to be available on steam? Also, why Lurking 1 isn't available on steam?
Thank you! Interesting question. Lurking I was a 'can I do this?' experiment that I undertook after a very long hiatus from attempting any coding. It was a huge learning experience but it turned out better than I expected and I was reminded how much I love to make games. The 'must-view' cut scene is just one example of several things that should have been better about Lurking I. In the end, the game works and is good but is largely not amenable to being updated due to the way I put everything together. I will allow a 'cut-scene skip' on next update, however... I CAN do that. :) Anyway, it is and will always be a free game so I never really thought of trying to go through the process of getting it onto Steam. I learned a great deal from the process of making and releasing it, however, and Lurking II will be a huge leap forward. Will definitely look into Steam as we get closer to finishing up. I hope you will forgive some of the shortcomings of L1. When you get past the initial grind and get into/play through the story it is really very satisfying in many ways.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Interesting game, but unskipable cutscene was not a good decision. Cheat money doesn't seem to work for some reason.
Cheat money... You should be able to edit anything in the character file? Maybe changed the wrong line of data??

'Load Character File
Sub LoadCharFile()

Quest1 = False
Quest2 = False
Quest3 = False

Open GameDataPath$ & "LurkChars" For Input As #1

For cycle = 1 To 15
Input #1, CharName(cycle)
Input #1, CharPicIndex(cycle)
Input #1, CharWithParty(cycle)
Input #1, CharStr(cycle)
Input #1, CharInt(cycle)
Input #1, CharVit(cycle)
Input #1, CharAgi(cycle)
Input #1, CharWis(cycle)
Input #1, CharCombat(cycle)
Input #1, CharArcher(cycle)
Input #1, CharMusic(cycle)
Input #1, CharBurglar(cycle)
Input #1, CharMagic(cycle)
Input #1, CharBStr(cycle)
Input #1, CharBInt(cycle)
Input #1, CharBVit(cycle)
Input #1, CharBAgi(cycle)
Input #1, CharBWis(cycle)
Input #1, CharBCombat(cycle)
Input #1, CharBArcher(cycle)
Input #1, CharBMusic(cycle)
Input #1, CharBBurglar(cycle)
Input #1, CharBMagic(cycle)
Input #1, CharWeapon(cycle)
Input #1, CharArmor(cycle)
Input #1, CharHelm(cycle)
Input #1, CharGauntlet(cycle)
Input #1, CharBoots(cycle)
Input #1, CharCloak(cycle)
Input #1, CharShield(cycle)
Input #1, CharSpecial(cycle)
For X = 1 To 8
Input #1, CharItem(cycle, X)
Next X
Input #1, CharLevel(cycle)
Input #1, CharExp(cycle)
Input #1, CharHP(cycle)
Input #1, CharHM(cycle)
Input #1, CharCond(cycle)
Input #1, CharAttack(cycle)
Input #1, CharAC(cycle)
Input #1, CharGP(cycle)
Input #1, CharPTS(cycle)
For Y = 1 To 17
Input #1, CharSpells(cycle, Y)
Next Y
For Y = 1 To 10
Input #1, CharSongs(cycle, Y)
Next Y

CheckQuest
needcharpatch = False
If CharCombat(cycle) < 0 Then needcharpatch = True
If CharArcher(cycle) < 0 Then needcharpatch = True
If CharMusic(cycle) < 0 Then needcharpatch = True
If CharBurglar(cycle) < 0 Then needcharpatch = True
If CharMagic(cycle) < 0 Then needcharpatch = True
If needcharpatch = True Then patchchar (cycle)

Next cycle

Close #1

End Sub

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

The game looks ver
Cheat money... You should be able to edit anything in the character file? Maybe changed the wrong line of data??
I meant cheat engine... I looked at various source data, format seems to be pretty understandable. Haven't really checked save data since I died before I thought of saving the game. Not sure if any of the editing would be necessary.
Games artstyle is amazing.
Did you really use Visual Basic for this?

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
The game looks ver
I meant cheat engine... I looked at various source data, format seems to be pretty understandable. Haven't really checked save data since I died before I thought of saving the game. Not sure if any of the editing would be necessary.
Games artstyle is amazing.

Got it. Anyway I just updated the previous post with the load routine in case you want to do any editing of basic character stuff. :)

And thanks for the artstyle kudos!

Jinn

Arcane
Also really like the art style you've established here. If we haven't played the first one, will we miss out on a lot?

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Also really like the art style you've established here. If we haven't played the first one, will we miss out on a lot?
Thanks!... and not really. The layout of the land is the same although the map has been expanded from 300x300 to 900x900 (and then edited/smoothed out)... but if you know your way about from playing L1 it may help you to get your bearings more quickly as L2 feels very large when you play. There are quite a few references to things from L1 but my brother has been careful to explain things in L2 such that prior knowledge of events in L1 are not needed (although there are a few instances where repeat characters are amusing if you know what happened and/or it may be more intuitive to understand certain lore).

Jinn

Arcane
Thanks!... and not really. The layout of the land is the same although the map has been expanded from 300x300 to 900x900 (and then edited/smoothed out)... but if you know your way about from playing L1 it may help you to get your bearings more quickly as L2 feels very large when you play. There are quite a few references to things from L1 but my brother has been careful to explain things in L2 such that prior knowledge of events in L1 are not needed (although there are a few instances where repeat characters are amusing if you know what happened and/or it may be more intuitive to understand certain lore).

So does that give it that kind of "returning" feeling you get in Gothic I and II for instance? Like, there are places you recognize, but the world has also been expanded beyond the initial map?

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer

So does that give it that kind of "returning" feeling you get in Gothic I and II for instance? Like, there are places you recognize, but the world has also been expanded beyond the initial map?

Exactly. The basic layout is the same but since the scale has changed dramatically much more detail has been added. New areas and terrain have been added to the overworld and The Deep/The Deeper/The Depths (the underworld) have completely changed. Of course, the fabled 'The Deepest' has been discovered and added. :)

There is also a HUGE secret from L1 that is revealed in L2 which is kind of cool. I only heard from two people who found it in L1.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Well, I'll have to give the first one a try then!

k0syak

Cipher
Also, make equipment stats readily available and add more unique and hand-placed loot!

:mob::mob:

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Also, make equipment stats readily available and add more unique and hand-placed loot!

:mob::mob:
Will do! :) We are already accumulating much content that is not critical to completing the main quest... Like hidden areas with unique items and secrets, etc. Also, we have made a bit of a turn-about from the approach of hiding stats like armor class, hp and mp, and weapon damage. I think that was an interesting aspect of L1 but there will be more transparency as to char and item stats in L2. One thing we have carried through is the possibility of taking damage from failed spells and/or attempting a spell with mp too low. I liked this idea from L1 and I can't think of another game that has this though I am sure there are some. Thanks for the input! :)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Oh man, I feel bad for Cleve. He must be in total freak-out mode. I get stressed over each and every bug that gets reported and he must be ready to jump out a window. Gives me pause about thinking about taking money for a game, especially when going it alone and no one to help figure it out.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Whilst waiting on some progress from Justin, I have been working on some various documentation documents. Not sure to what level documentation will be taken (physical, included in download, cloth map!?, etc...) but if interested, here is a link to a rough draft of a 'Lurking II: Bestiary' document I was working on... probably best viewed in google docs for now.

https://goo.gl/KUymtH

Morkar Left

Reads very oldschoolish... btw is oft an actual word in English?

Your pixel artwork of the monsters is damn great!

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Reads very oldschoolish... btw is oft an actual word in English?

Your pixel artwork of the monsters is damn great!

Thank you!! I am not so sure about 'oft'. I seem to associate it with 'Olde English' as short for 'often'. I actually often wonder how much using these words (like thee, thou, canst, and hath) in the game make life difficult for those whom English is not native (and even some native English speakers). We have plundered the Latin language for many things in the game (like spell names)... probably incorrectly. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom