Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Image of ship carrying your party remains static regardless of the direction of movement.

• Major decline. Well worth at least an image for four cardinal directions.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
There are a ton of devs with steam games on here. Maybe you wanna begin with Vault Dweller or MRY, they are pretty profilic posters. But there are many more. Check the posters I stalk, all of them are devs (many dead accounts though).
Thx!

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Thanks all. It is apparently not possible to ask a simple question directly of anyone at steam support. I will try these leads. :)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
We got a few requests for early access release of L2 so we figured why not. It is quite stable and (still theoretically) playable through to end. We will finish up a few quick updates and go live with that on itch as early as this weekend.

agris

Arcane
Patron
We got a few requests for early access release of L2 so we figured why not. It is quite stable and (still theoretically) playable through to end. We will finish up a few quick updates and go live with that on itch as early as this weekend.
I've seen many developers say, in regret of launching EA, that "you only get one opportunity to launch your game", i.e. the sales bump from initially offering to sell. If I were you, I would give this more thought than "eh, what the hell".

Maybe Infinitron has better meta-knowledge on this than me.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Yeah, with an RPG in particular I am usually not willing to dive in with no guarantee that I will actually be able to finish the game...

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
I've seen many developers say, in regret of launching EA, that "you only get one opportunity to launch your game", i.e. the sales bump from initially offering to sell. If I were you, I would give this more thought than "eh, what the hell".

Thanks agris. I certainly appreciate this perspective. I'm not sure that I can bring myself to hope that Justin and I could ever make any serious money on this venture. I would love to find some success in that realm and I am hoping that the success grows (I plan on making games for a long time) but I am in a spot where it is equally important to me to get an email that says "Hey man, I really loved playing your game." I put my soul into Lurking II and I would love to hear that it had an impact on someone.

Yeah, with an RPG in particular I am usually not willing to dive in with no guarantee that I will actually be able to finish the game...

Yes, I definitely don't blame you there. But... we do need some feedback and testing on different systems and our resources are very limited. One thing I have become all too aware of is that no one plays or sees your game like you do and I need those opinions and experiences to try to hone Lurking II. So I figure anyone interested in jumping in at this point would be a great resource and anyone who wants to wait can do so. This might also help save me from the stress of a massive influx of problems and bugs at the get-go... which there won't be :)

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Have you considered a "private" beta test using forum members? That might be an opportunity to receive early feedback while limiting the impact of any potential negative reception due to early bugs.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Have you considered a "private" beta test using forum members? That might be an opportunity to receive early feedback while limiting the impact of any potential negative reception due to early bugs.

That was actually what we tried first, an invitation to several who we knew had played Lurking I. But people are busy and I certainly don't begrudge them that. We figured only the most interested would be in for the early access anyway.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
upload_2018-2-2_20-19-43.png

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Nice look. Is it intended to be played full screen at 1080? Any kind of scaling? Otherwise it looks like things might get a bit "lego hell" at that resolution.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Nice look. Is it intended to be played full screen at 1080? Any kind of scaling? Otherwise it looks like things might get a bit "lego hell" at that resolution.

Thanks. The game displays at 1280 x 720 and does not scale. The 'implied' resolution is lower due to pixel art style.

Dumbfuck
I love the look of this. The big viewport opens a lot of doors for artistry that games like Ultima 4 couldn't really do due to hardware limitations.

What is this made in? Looks a lot like a engine I have on-and-off worked on built on top of MonoGame + SadConsole.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
I love the look of this. The big viewport opens a lot of doors for artistry that games like Ultima 4 couldn't really do due to hardware limitations.

What is this made in? Looks a lot like a engine I have on-and-off worked on built on top of MonoGame + SadConsole.

Thanks. It was actually coded in VB6 from the ground up with nothing third-party - as were the map editor util and other design utilities. I know it is archaic, but it IS an old-school game. :)

In the first screen shot, you can see the moon reflecting on the water (looks better in game anim). The moon cycles through its phases, rises in the east and sets in the west and its reflection will move across the water as the night thickens and dawn nears. When the moon is half or more illuminated, the night remains dim, but not completely dark (provided it is not raining or snowing). Tree shadows track with the sun based on the hour. The seasons cycle and the scenery and temperatures change to match. Time of day and latitude also impact temperatures, so it is colder in the far north and south. When it gets too cold, traveling without robes or a cloak equipped will lead to periodic freezing damage. Camping in sub-freezing weather will lead to freezing damage no matter what unless you sleep next to a fire. You can build one... not a problem as long as you grabbed some flint at your last trip to the chemist shoppe. Make sure your mage bought a pipe and some pipeweed at that chemist because nothing restores magic points in a pinch like a nice pipe of pipeweed. The best part is when things that you didn't even plan start to just work. For example, the other day I was sneaking up on some encamped orcs at night. The sentry won't see you coming as long as you aren't carrying a light and all party members have a sufficient burglar skill so as not to make a sound. It started raining... hard. Almost there and... a crack of thunder and flash of lightning... everything lights up for a second and sure enough my party was revealed by the lightning flash.

Very excited to have this game played. Really hope it is well received.

Dumbfuck
That is unbelievable. Rendering and tiling etc. are a nightmare to set up without an existing framework, this is some serious chops you must have to knock that out in VB6.

Not sure how different they are to VB6 (literally before my time as a software engineer lol), but any plans to port the engine to VB.NET or even C#.NET? If you can get it running in .NET Core you could make ports to other platforms pretty easily.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Looks like I was too late to edit my message...

I guess this was the same for the first Lurking then? You just enhanced the engine/toolset for this game? If either of these ever get open sourced, I would love to see it.

Also, the way that objects overlay the frame in the screenshots is a nice touch.

Dumbfuck
I guess this was the same for the first Lurking then? You just enhanced the engine/toolset for this game? If either of these ever get open sourced, I would love to see it.

Aye, ditto to this.

Would kill to root around in the source for this.

Would you be keen to post some screens of the development tools etc? I'm very interested in the workflows of people who have made their own engines, as I feel like the dev tools I have scratched together probably suck compared to what people who have been at it for a while have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom