Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Lurking - Inspired by Ultima 3 (released)

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
If you are/were stuck trying to obtain the alliance password, v1.3.0 fixes. Update and revisit 'The Sleepy Dragon' in Meridia.

No, I was stuck by the frequency of all the MOTHER FUCKING RAIN. Have you tweaked that shit yet?

It was fucking ridiculous.

Zep--

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
If you are/were stuck trying to obtain the alliance password, v1.3.0 fixes. Update and revisit 'The Sleepy Dragon' in Meridia.

No, I was stuck by the frequency of all the MOTHER FUCKING RAIN. Have you tweaked that shit yet?

It was fucking ridiculous.

Zep--
Hey man. That is Lurking II and discussion was moved to a different thread. It was also a very early demo to get a peek at a game that is in production and not really playable yet. Appreciate the feedback and yes it was addressed when first mentioned. Weather will be clear and sunny at release time.

I apologize that I can't remember the name and can't find the post but somewhere on the Codex someone recommended a game called A...(something) HD to someone. I am not trying to disrespect that person but I watched a video of the gameplay and a combat took like 20 minutes. For me, I would want to slit my wrists before playing that game.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9224

"Recommended"...I am afraid thou hast been trolled. For an example of decent combat that can still take too long, there's Wizardry 8.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Although I was hoping to be done with any further patches to L1, it occurred to me that it might be easy and useful when entering combat to allow the player to press 'F' as the first move to instantly flee and bypass the combat. If there are a few here who are playing and want this, let me know and I will write it up and post it here.

V_K

Arcane
I can't get the latest version to run at all - mouse pointer turns into an hourglass, and cpu goes into overheat, and that's all it does until i kill the process. The old exe (1.0.3) works like charm.

Hmm. That is disheartening. Thanks for letting me know though. Just so I am clear that was your result with 1.1.2?
So after a very long period of not having any time to play anything, I decided to do some keyword-hunting - and the 1.4.0 version behaves exactly the same for me. I have a suspicion that it has to do with my switchable graphics adapter having bugged out a looooong time ago, but why were the earlier versions working then?

V_K

Arcane
I can't get the latest version to run at all - mouse pointer turns into an hourglass, and cpu goes into overheat, and that's all it does until i kill the process. The old exe (1.0.3) works like charm.

Hmm. That is disheartening. Thanks for letting me know though. Just so I am clear that was your result with 1.1.2?
So after a very long period of not having any time to play anything, I decided to do some keyword-hunting - and the 1.4.0 version behaves exactly the same for me. I have a suspicion that it has to do with my switchable graphics adapter having bugged out a looooong time ago, but why were the earlier versions working then?
Nevermind, I solved it. Wasn't the graphics but the mp3 music. Deleted all the music files and it works now.
On to keyword hunting then!

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer

Nevermind, I solved it. Wasn't the graphics but the mp3 music. Deleted all the music files and it works now.
On to keyword hunting then!
Happy hunting. :) When you get a chance let me know what windows version. Also, did you download L2 early demo and if so did it work for you and play the music? Thx!

V_K

Arcane
Is it intended that some parts of the map are automatically revealed? I noticed that e.g. if you go the dungeon level in Deciper's castle, the parts of it that you've been to on the main level are already mapped (same for the upper level). Works for worldmap too, when going to the Deep. Then I arrived in Meridia and also had a large part of the map revealed even though I've never been there.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Is it intended that some parts of the map are automatically revealed? I noticed that e.g. if you go the dungeon level in Deciper's castle, the parts of it that you've been to on the main level are already mapped (same for the upper level). Works for worldmap too, when going to the Deep. Then I arrived in Meridia and also had a large part of the map revealed even though I've never been there.
No. It is not distinguishing between which map you are on. I have been so busy with L2 that finishing that fell off my plate. I will fix that and update soon since I already have another bug with custom char icons fixed and ready to push. Thx

V_K

Arcane
Another mildly annoying thing is that the map doesn't save.
Btw, what's the maximum for stats/skills? On a lucky roll in char creation I can get one of them past 10, but doesn't seem to be able to do so within the game.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Another mildly annoying thing is that the map doesn't save.
Btw, what's the maximum for stats/skills? On a lucky roll in char creation I can get one of them past 10, but doesn't seem to be able to do so within the game.
Glad you are playing and hope you are enjoying. Sorry about the map. I was just starting to work on it when I had to do a priority fix and pushed it out with the update in an unfinished state. I haven't done a very good job keeping different versions and details when I do make changes so that is my bad. As far as attributes go there is no maximum per se but I can tell you that there will be no roll benefits beyond 10. Thanks again.

V_K

Arcane
Oh, I am quite enjoying it, exploring the Deep is particularly fun. I'm just spoiled by modern automaps ;) If you'll be updating the way map works, maybe also consider showing the party (or the lead character) position on it?
Another thing I wanted to ask about is the "You're too weary to cast this spell" message. I originally assumed that it means I don't have enough health, but it doesn't always seem to be the case. E.g. my mage can cast Fire Rain at 100% health, this would lower her health to 80%, and then she can't cast it again until fully restored. At the same time, I have no such problem with Repell Undead - she can go all the way down to 30-40% health with it (I didn't risk to spend more).
I would also suggest not allowing casting healing on oneself - it's either pointless (when more health is spent than gained) or gamebreaking (as it makes other healing options pointless).

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Oh, I am quite enjoying it, exploring the Deep is particularly fun. I'm just spoiled by modern automaps ;) If you'll be updating the way map works, maybe also consider showing the party (or the lead character) position on it?
Another thing I wanted to ask about is the "You're too weary to cast this spell" message. I originally assumed that it means I don't have enough health, but it doesn't always seem to be the case. E.g. my mage can cast Fire Rain at 100% health, this would lower her health to 80%, and then she can't cast it again until fully restored. At the same time, I have no such problem with Repell Undead - she can go all the way down to 30-40% health with it (I didn't risk to spend more).
I would also suggest not allowing casting healing on oneself - it's either pointless (when more health is spent than gained) or gamebreaking (as it makes other healing options pointless).

I would like to get the AUTO-MAP working and saving/loading as intended. I intend to, it just depends on when I get motivated to do it and how much resistance I run into. :)

Please... giving me the 'rookie-effort', 'sure you can design-your-own-mechanics-on-the-fly' benefit of a doubt... here is how that spell mechanic works...

Fire Rain requires a minimum of 10 magic skill to cast. Dispel Undead requires a minimum of 5 magic skill to cast. In order to have the presence-of-mind to cast Fire Rain, your actual HP (which are of course hidden in the game (unless you look in the Pool of Reflection) and are relayed instead as a percentage of maximum) must be greater then 5 x 10 MAGICSKILL = 50 or you are deemed too weary. For Dispel Undead, your actual HP would need to be greater than 5 x 5 MAGICSKILL = 25 or you are deemed too weary. So the percentage can be misleading because the actual HP of the character are used for the calculation based on the spell 'difficulty'.

As far as healing self goes, I have probably once again fallen victim to my own mechanics. I had intended risk for trying to heal any party member based on spell failure/counter-spell but probably didn't get that quite right and thus your advice that casting a spell on one's-self should probably be prohibited. This would be easy enough to fix and I probably should.

Thanks!

V_K

Arcane
Oh, it's a fine mechanic, it's just the message itself that is confusing - being deemed "to weary" when you're at 100% health. :lol:

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Oh, it's a fine mechanic, it's just the message itself that is confusing - being deemed "to weary" when you're at 100% health. :lol:

True that. Looks like a Lurking I-make-an-update-day is looming large. :backawayslowly:

;)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Lurking I v1.4.1 is now available on itch.io

I believe the auto-map should now be working properly and custom character icon slots that did not previously load into the game should work now. Also changed the wording on that spell fail. :) Let me know if anything is screwy. :)

V_K

Arcane
Another small suggestion if I may:
Why don't you swap the locations for Fire Rain and Magic Missile? As it is, Fire Rain is just too easy to get for such a powerful spell, it was like the third spell I got in the game. Finding Greymist is, on the other hand, much harder, and Magic Missile just doesn't seem rewarding enough. Plus Fire Rain would fit his flame obsession better.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Another small suggestion if I may:
Why don't you swap the locations for Fire Rain and Magic Missile? As it is, Fire Rain is just too easy to get for such a powerful spell, it was like the third spell I got in the game. Finding Greymist is, on the other hand, much harder, and Magic Missile just doesn't seem rewarding enough. Plus Fire Rain would fit his flame obsession better.
I definitely can't argue with that line of thinking. Great idea. The only issue I foresee is a player who gets a mid-game update of this swap but I may be able to work around it. Thanks!

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Very nice game and I've wanted to make an Ultima-inspired game in the past, this has reignited old dreams!

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
With the slow down in downloads, I am thinking that with the free version of Lurking I: Immortui people do not realize that they will receive a DOS 3.3 System Master Floppy, a Bestiary, Tavern Dice, a Quest Journal, A Mechanical Pencil +2. And a glass of red. For a donation of just $5 we may reach the stretch goal of a liberal version.
upload_2017-9-7_18-54-14.png

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
If you wouldn't mind sharing to help a dev out, how did you find the Itch.io's 'pay whatever you want' method of selling your game? Were paying downloaders a tiny minority or were you pleasantly surprised? And would you do the same for Lurking II?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom