Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Machinarium

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The game has been on my radar for a long time, definitely looking forward to it.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Wow. This looks pretty cool. I liked when he talks to the street musician. Neat idea to animate what he says.

hal900x

Augur
Love the atmosphere and presence of true puzzles along with item combinations/interactions. Whenever you have that, however, the game depends on the quality of the those puzzles. If there are too tough or esoteric/nonsensical, it can make for a lousy game. If they are genuinely logical, then this will be awesome.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Pre-ordered. The soundtrack MP3's I got were worth the price ($17) themselves.

Hory

Erudite
This game is proof of the importance of art direction and of the viability of 2D in modern games.

Quilty

Magister
Been following the development for a few years now, looks really interesting.

@ Hory: Games like this remind me I'm still hoping 2D will make a big comeback.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The demo's been out for a while.
It's gorgeous, I can't help but love every aspect of this game, be it the visuals, the atmosphere, the puzzles. A definite purchase for me.

MapMan

Arcane
I just finished it. The art and music are great. The story isnt great, expected a little more but its not that bad. The puzzles are good, some are exactly what we got used to and some are new. Pretty cool. I dont know if its worth the money though. 20$ is too much imho, 10$ would be perfect price.

MapMan

Arcane
Why no other comments? Here are some reviews:

http://www.crispygamer.com/gamereviews/ ... um-pc.aspx
http://www.brighthub.com/video-games/pc ... 52863.aspx
http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2009/1 ... chinarium/
http://diygamer.com/2009/10/just-a-smal ... um-review/
http://www.gamgea.com/2009/10/19/machin ... view-test/

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/103/1036865p1.html

The brutal difficulty will likely have you stumped even in the earlier scenes.
The brutal difficulty will likely
brutal difficulty

Whatnigra.jpg

I'd say a lot of things about the puzzles, but not they are brutally hard. The reviewer must be retarded or something.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Just finished it and yeah, the puzzles weren't that hard really, and even if you get stuck, the hint feature will practically solve it for you. I noticed several redundant clues including the one with the butterfly that required you to solve two puzzles to get the same clue twice, or so it seemed to me.

Some puzzles are interesting manipulation/inventory puzzles, others are the tried-and-true-classical-puzzles type, which I don't much care for in adventure games.

'Bout 5 hours long, absolutely a joy to play though because of the eye and ear candy.

EDIT: Odd, double post.

DraQ

Arcane
Cool game. Could have been longer and more elaborate story-wise. Awesome art direction and, while many puzzles could have been tougher (except some at the very end), they are not trivial either.

Also, spiffy metal DVD box and it's not some fucking aluminium either (*sticks one of his neocube magnets to the case* :smug: ).

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
DraQ said:
Cool game. Could have been longer and more elaborate story-wise. Awesome art direction and, while many puzzles could have been tougher (except some at the very end), they are not trivial either.

Also, spiffy metal DVD box and it's not some fucking aluminium either (*sticks one of his neocube magnets to the case* :smug: ).

Dammit. You Europeans and your exclusive boxed copies.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
would play it if it wasn't a flash game with all the bugs and problems of flash.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i like to alt tab out of or use windowed mode in games and not having them die on me after 5 minutes of being inactive.

Tigranes

Arcane
I played the whole game with a built-in windows option, lots of alt tab, zero crashes. This kind of game would suck if you couldn't.

It's a short game, it's an easy game, but it's got charm and the art is nice. Only criticism is that you end up with a bit too many 'mini-games' - e.g. a carbon copy of space invaders and a few other 'pixel games' as well as a few puzzles. Given the shortness of the game and how straightforward the 'normal adventure puzzles' were, it felt like a bit too much.

Fez

Erudite
I liked Samarost, so I was already halfway decided to get this before the reviews and comments pushed me to it. I liked the art style. The story wasn't much for me, but I was playing it for the puzzles, art and a relaxing and entertaining experience really. For that I felt quite happy with what I got. It could have been longer and contained more proper 'adventure game puzzles', as mentioned previously, but I'm willing to put up with a shorter game because of the lower price point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom