Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mad Max game from Avalanche Studios

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Most steam key resellers have this for ~16 eiros, if anyone's interested in d1ping.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
IGN gave it only 8.4 ,someone did not use marketing budget properly.

Polygon gave it 5/10, probably or main character being white male cis-het scum.

Waiting for some real reviews from youtubers, like AbsoluteCookie or SlightlyAnnoyedJames

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
IGN gave it only 8.4 ,someone did not use marketing budget properly.

Polygon gave it 5/10, probably or main character being white male cis-het scum.

Waiting for some real reviews from youtubers, like AbsoluteCookie or SlightlyAnnoyedJames

Eurogamer likes it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-01-mad-max-review

When Mad Max brings all of its best elements together, it's brilliant. Scan the horizons and spot the plume of dust that's the telltale sign of a convoy passing through, then open up that breathy V8 to gobble up the scenery that's between you. Get in the fray and feel where the influence of Miller's kinetic action has rubbed off as cars tear themselves to shreds while you're taking potshots at fuel-tanks with a sawn-off shotgun. The choreographed ballet of the films might be lost in all that noise - as too is some of that original Ballardian subtext - but the energy and the spectacle remains intact.

Take all that away, and you're left with a rote open-world game that's not without its problems. Objectives soon repeat themselves a little too often, while oversights remain in much of the design: despite being a car combat game, there's no handbrake and no way to get the cars spinning on their axis in true Hollywood fashion, while the combat feels too scrappy for its own good. The sense of being a scavenger can become overwhelming, too, when progression grinds to a halt and you're left patrolling the wastelands searching for scraps.

That ties neatly into the harsh world of Mad Max, though, as does the slightly cultish feel of a game whose rough edges might scare some people away. You'll have played other, better examples of the genre, and you've likely been a tourist to the post-apocalypse a few too many times before, yet Avalanche wears the fiction so well it's hard not to be charmed by this brutal, beautiful open world.

recommended-large-net.png

Astral Rag

Arcane
It's a typical open world console popamole game but at least it's not a bad port. It runs great on my old computer (i7 920, 960, 6GB ram), so far the frame rate rarely dropped below 70 and I was playing on near max settings.

The options menu is serviceable:
2E2E4AB63EBF2B781D8CA4253FD37D8CB32A0E60

690CAD5D679DC960EEC4825F2219A66E6D891D8E

Voice acting sounded good to my ears, not sure how it compares to the new movie as I haven't seen it yet. Max doesn't look or sound like the Max I know though :decline:

There is no way to manually save your game.

The game seems to control well enough with keyboard and mouse, I didn't notice mouse acceleration. Hand to hand combat feels like a poor man's Arkham Asylum and so far the game has been extremely easy. Sadly there are a lot of popamole "hold buttan to" button prompts, no idea if those things can be disabled.

Driving vehicles is not unenjoyable, it's no Powerslide but it's no garbage a la Sleeping Dongs either. Unfortunately the cockpit camera is useless, just look at it:

madmax2015-09-0116-00j0pqt.jpg

Graphics are ok for the most part, shadows and lightning can look quite good but textures could be a lot better, DoF can't be disabled :rpgcodex:
C0186BC32691F1B1918D584B335EBB82E4C97FA4

Run of the mill console port menu interface, at least they let us use the mouse to navigate:

967E4E962FC6E2059A7AE86463EBF8AC69D6C156

BA6CC97F22C3E612CBB03B4FB0803C13A610D282

D3C3DAE823C57E7DCB98BB7303C80EF491079AEA

04B2BD0F8312D24C09801CF4A22E8B1D10206441

B1D5BDC3C771F5804C471EA87F4FE6961B8B317E

34C20ED8640024A42241FA9D6082829DE3500C81

2C954C741A62754128AF569AED685720424B1B2A

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
My appreciation for Max's driving skills has increased a lot. The guy drives mainly by instinct.

And no handbrake basically means he makes U-turns by planting his foot on the ground.

:mrpresident:

Deleted member 7219

Very mixed reception.

It is really cheap at Green Man Gaming right now. Really cheap if you apply the 40% off voucher, which brings it down to £21.00.

I'll wait until it is even cheaper though. Got more than enough on my plate with MGS V and the Divinity: OS and Wasteland 2 EEs coming out soon.

Renevent

Cipher
I only played 5 mins this morning before work, but yeah, I'm pretty excited to get home and play some more. What little I saw looked great, and the game is very well optimized and runs very smooth.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Mine will finish tomorrow. Not super phased by how good it is, seeing as I only paid $20.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Steam user review are overwhelmingly positive and most of them agree that it's well optimized interesting,maybe I will get it during the Christmas sale

sser

Arcane
Developer
Also got it for cheap. Downloading now, but it will be a long while before it finishes.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
All the PR and imagery leading up to the release has given me the impression that this is "Shadows of Mordor: Mad Max edition".
I couldn't stand the combat in Shadows of Mordor, so can anyone who has it let me know if it is the same?

sser

Arcane
Developer
CA328A7B2D7C025C514E11BFE57BB72779FE9F51

Game's got a slow start, but it gets along after awhile. Hardest part was the long opening cinematic and choosing which car frame I wanted.

Damn does it do environments right. I'm a total sucker for great big expanses and loud cards, so this game is pretty much right up my alley.

The combat is solid, nothing spectacular. It's the same combo-focused thing that's in the Batman games with a mix of weapons thrown in.

C8083C72F6CA2DA21AD5C398D1B3EB3342FA809F

E3E4F94C5623253CA8B1BE3C6C4801BE7432056B

99C2F23D76753BABE84749478C2D3681EB015A5F

Deleted member 7219

Comparisons to Shadow of Mordor have me concerned. That game was tedious and grey. Only good thing about it was the combat.

Even the positive reviews of this say the combat isn't that special, so what does this game have going for it? Huge open world full of Ubisoft stuff?

Just Cause 2 had a huge, beautiful open world with loads of stuff to blow up. Collecting things didn't feel like a chore because there was a lot of violence involved. If this game is that, but with a good story as well, I'm sold.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game is tedious and grey.

Don't get me wrong, it looks spectacular but in the end is just another formulaic product.

Retarded design decisions:
- Cannot manually save therefore sometimes is best to die cause it magically teleports you in your stronghold.
- Cannot carry a fucking melee weapon with you.
- Driving is fucked up on KB+M cause it was designed for a pad (obviously).
- Lots and lots of uninteresting locations. Just grinding for scrap.
- The map contains markers for locked quests !? Wtf is this shit?
- Fast travel Baby! The most important thing in an exploration game.
- No stealth approach. We don't want to scare jump the War Boys.

I want to like this game but it's a mess. Yes, it opens up a little bit but not enough.

In fact, I suspect that everything in this game was designed to make you lose as much time as possible.

You want to refill your canteen - Press and hold E
You want to drink water - Press and hold E
You want to smash a door - Press and hold E
You want to fuck a War Boy - Press ... and you know the drill by now.

I see the game as a mish-mash of different things but after several hours it still doesn't have a stand-alone personality.

But let's buckle the trend and end on a positive note:
- The setting is not completely retarded.
- The game becomes more difficult.
- NPCs are raging from mediocre to good (Chumbucket is ok)
- Vistas can be beautiful. Surviving a storm is hard.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The Press E and hold stuff does get old, particularly because a lot of the stuff could be done automatically (picking up scrap, kicking doors open) and shouldn't need seconds to pass. It's the Wasteland 2 look-at-a-bar-fill-up syndrome all over again.

bonescraper

Have a poor man brofist for that amazing discovery. Did it require reading keybinds (journos cannot into options?/ no options on console crap?)
No, I just pressed shift (the obvious sprint key while on foot) while driving...? I mean who wouldn't, that's the first key I pressed after WASD.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dat graphix. It actually looks better than a 2006 game, for once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom