Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mafia - City of Lost Heaven

Lumpy

Arcane
So, what's this game like? Most importantly, how realistic is it? I know about having to respect traffic lights and shit, but I'm interested in the important stuff, like murder or being killed. Do you have to leave for Sicily for a couple of years after murdering a policeman, and reload after being killed? Or is it like GTA, where a visit to the hospital heals all wounds and crimes?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Nothing like GTA. Game is not true freeroaming (except in another mode) but mission based. Combat can be fun but brutal at the same time, and really, you can easily find yourself outgunned and out of luck if you go up against several gunners without cover or the element of surprise or simply by being stupid and running out and shouting die die die as you get riddled with bullets.

It's a fun game, but very different from other stuff that I've played, with a flavor and style all of it's own. Really, it's a great experience though, and the cars are friggin great too.

Virtz

Educated
Concerning realism, from my memory:
-You can't conceal the bigger weapons like tommy guns and baseball bats and will be chased by police for openly carrying firearms around.
-You can only carry a few weapons at a time.
-People die after approximately 1-5 shots (depending on weapon and hit area).
-Cars can be damaged realistically - windows can be shot out, tires can be punctured and shot off, drivers can be killed, gas tanks can be punctured and leak gas, etc..
-I can't remember the exact reprecussions for killing cops, but they did include a countryside outside the city for a reason, I guess. Not that you'll spend a week driving around there, though.
-You take damage when your car hits something too fast.
-You can shoot out the car window in almost 180 degrees.
-Every car has to be lockpicked/hotwired before working (I'm assuming there's hotwiring involved, because he'd "lockpick" even a car with an open door).
-At the beginning you won't know how to lockpick all car models, you'll learn how to pick each model during the main game from the mafia mechanic.
-I don't think there was a death-hospital mechanic. At least I remember the freedrive mode ended when you died.

Starwars

Arcane
There's a sequel in the works as well. It looks nice, though I heard it will introduce the same rubbish like San Andreas did (you have to eat and stuff). Doesn't really fit with this type of game if you ask me, but eh.
Found this featurelist:

The game will feature 3 families.
-Cops only call reinforcements if you committed a large enough crime.
-In total, there are about 2 hours of cutscenes.
-The game will contain references to the original game along with easter eggs.
-The game has 3 acts.
-All of the 2.5 square mile city available for travel at the start.
-You can use taxi's to get around the city.
-Cars get damaged, dirty, and even explode if shot in the gas tank.
-You can customize cars with your own license plates.
-There are 2 types of context sensitive environment interactions: Standard and Violent.
-You can buy food from vendors such as hotdogs.
-While buying stuff you cannot be attacked.
-NPC's will smoke, read newspapers, wait for buses, look through trash cans, etc.
-In several points in the story, you can make choices that affect the game.
-The game will feature multiple endings.
-Police will go after other criminals instead of just you
-You can buy houses where you can store your gear
-You can take missions for and against competing families.
-There will be many interactive objects such as chairs, bottles, sinks, etc.
-The map will have waypoints including sidequests.
-Checkpoints have improved from the original game.
-There will be no on screen interface.
-You can go to gyms to learn new hand to hand combo moves.
-Shooting through doors will possibly be added.

Yeah, not very excited about the "San Andreas elements" at all. Hopefully it will at least fit in somewhat with the game. It's nice that we get choices though. I'm also kinda sad that it will be set during the 50s or so (if I remember correctly), since it likely means no Django Reinhardt in the soundtrack. :P

The original Mafia didn't really grab me from the start, but it's kind of a grower. The shooting stuff was actually quite fun, which is unusual in this genre I think. It's not as over-the-top as the GTA series is, it feels a lot more real overall. The story is pretty nice, and the devs did a fairly decent job at providing tension during some of the missions.

But I also think that if there's one thing these types of games excel at, it's providing annoying missions. Mafia is no exception, but there's definetely a lot less of them than we see in other "GTA games".

DemonKing

Arcane
I played it back in the day - it had pretty good graphics for the time but I must admit I found the driving tedious/annoying.

There are "timed" driving elements where you have to make it to a certain location under the time limit and also a horrible "racing" portion where you have to win a 5 lap race on a track which I found next to impossible on my mouse/keyboard setup - I eventually had to hack my way past that.

Saying that, the story was pretty good and the gunplay was acceptable.

Norfleet

DemonKing said:
There are "timed" driving elements where you have to make it to a certain location under the time limit and also a horrible "racing" portion where you have to win a 5 lap race on a track which I found next to impossible on my mouse/keyboard setup - I eventually had to hack my way past that.
I believe the race being obscenely difficult (probably because all other racers are on rails) was corrected in a patch.

MetalCraze

Arcane
DemonKing said:

yes - the race was a bitch - but I've completed it. don't remember how - from the 10th try or so.
I say if you like godfather-classic-gangster-type story and world get it. you can call it intelligent GTA or something - though without freedom, because of the mission-based structure as mentioned above.
I also like that cops don't appear out of the air like they do it in GTA3/VC/SA.
also the gameworld is much bigger than that of GTA3/VC. it also includes very beautiful rural areas. there was no GTA:SA when it came out. but the graphics and gameworld are designed much better than any GTA. The graphics is very much on a par with Max Payne.
quests can be pain in the ass sometimes, but apart from that racing - nothing you can't handle.

Shoelip

Arbiter
If you've got the cops after you they'll run to a phone to call for backup.

Course you can destroy the phone booth.

barzam

Novice
I liked Mafia a lot, although I never finished it. I also remember the racing mission was a bitch (I just couldn't do it), until I plugged in my old joystick from my Tie fighter days and using that is was real easy. After that I used my joystick in all the driving parts of the game and it was, of course, much better.

What I really liked about Mafia is that it had a great presentation with gritty urban enviroments, nice driving and shooting that actually worked. The mission in the beginning when you run through the city is amazing - one of my bestest gaming memories. I also thought it a nice thing that you couldn't skip red lights with cops watching like in GTA.

The game is really worth playing.

Abhay

Augur
Release: Mafia City Of Lost Heaven on GOG.com

Mafia is now available DRM-free and only on GOG.com.
The action/adventure classic that you really shouldn't refuse, finally returns. Embark on a celebrated open-world thriller and follow Tommy Angelo's rise (or fall, depending on your perspective) to a perilous life of high-stakes crime in 1930s America. The city of Lost Heaven is your playground, as long as you don't let the police catch you in the act, wise guy.

NOTE:This rerelease of Mafia has an edited soundtrack and does not include any licensed music

Don't worry, simply follow this tutorial to restore the original music.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
lost_heaven_1932_v1_3_02.jpg

Still looks great. Timeless game.

ㅤㅤㅤ

Learned
NOTE:This rerelease of Mafia has an edited soundtrack and does not include any licensed music

Don't worry, simply follow this tutorial to restore the original music.
I thought the GOG version did sound different from the original release. It's much more enjoyable with this fix, mostly. I'm getting filtered by the race again and it hurts just as much now as it did the first time I played the game. Ragequit after spinning out of control five times in a row despite being careful with the speed and gas.
Still looks great. Timeless game.
It's strange how the high quality face models and textures used in cutscenes still look better than the ones in the remake. The remake looks very Pixar.

Mise

Not The Best Games
Developer
Had a pretty high opinion of this game back in the day, mostly because of the gameplay. Still a pretty good game, though from this perspective, the story is too black and white(as many mobs stories tend to be) and the gameplay it's a bit wonky, compared to todays' games which tend to be more way more polished(the only good thing coming out of todays' games), but still it can shine way better than many other games because of how open ended it was. It's a bit crazy that many third person shooters of the past 20 years haven't tried to at least incorporate. at least in a small extent, the things that made the game great 20 years ago. Hell there was one youtube video where it was showing that Mafia 1 had a deeper destruction systems than Mafia 3. A bit sad.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a bit crazy that many third person shooters of the past 20 years haven't tried to at least incorporate. at least in a small extent, the things that made the game great 20 years ago.

The oldest game today's devs played is probably something like Battlefield 4...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom