Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MAFIA III - Yo Coonass prepare ta learn 'bout family in N'awlins

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Tanked? It was top of the sales charts.
The game has sold around 1 million physical units so far, and an anonymous source in Irrational Games revealed that 2k expected the game to sell around 8 million units. Though admittedly, as this is an anonymous source you should take it with a grain of salt.

Steam sales charts aren't always the best indicator of a game's success, especially if it's multi-platform. DmC: Devil May Cry topped the sales charts for a few days too, yet it only wound up selling around 100,000 copies and was a complete flop.

Abhay

Augur
The local gaming magazine tends to praise AAA games to the high heavens, even those that suck get 8/10 or better ratings.
My thoughts exactly!
The gaming press has been totally biased which seriously pisses me off.
So many idiots are complaining about how this game shares a lot of things in common with other open world games like GTA, etc.
SO what?
Even if it attempts to take certain things from other games, as if other games which the press finds deserving for a 9/10 score, don't?

Its ridiculous how reviewers and players are attacking Mafia III for doing the same and find it so bad that they are panning this game.
What exactly innovative or unique things do other games have to offer in modern open world games that the critics are giving them absolute perfect ( or highest ) scores ??

Its sad to witness that even CODEX doesn't realise the amazing qualities in Mafia III.
Its like CODEX doesn't realise how single player in other open world game feels like, and how games like Mafia III are keeping the single player alive when other AAA games are busy making money from the multiplayer by putting less focus on creating unique SP experiences.

What makes Mafia III better is its tight design where many aspects of its core gameplay are really fun and feels very focused without any kind of frivolous tasks and stupid minigames, rather than expanding and improving the aspects which makes this franchise quite unique - the story, characters, world-building, soundtrack, vehicles, superb gunplay, fluid controls and character movements, diverse environments to explore and high on atmosphere, and even offers additional little features that many wont notice like the ability to pick up and drop bodies, ramming vehicles, unique street signs to navigate over GPS, etc.. while staying true to its time period the developers have chosen to explore. The mature storyline also feels a lot more compelling than prev. Mafia's.
It also offers more freedom, choices that have an impact, and different ways to play many missions the game has to offer, which other open world games usually don't.
Even Mafia 1 didn't offer as much freedom as seen in this game, which clearly is an improvement.

I don't know why all the fuckin' hate towards this game, don't people like to enjoy a great single player game or what?

Oh, and stuff like Mafia III doesn't feel like Mafia and other stupid reasons of rejecting this game makes no sense to me.
Sure, its different in some ways but does that automatically make it a bad game?
I don't think so.. Hangar 13 clearly wanted to offer something different than the prev. Mafia's which they clearly have every right to do, and the amount of hard work and dedication that has gone into making this amazing game, the developers deserve all the appreciation than spouting hatred.
Seriously, all the hate for this game just proves that this generation of gamers are absolutely terrible who can't distinguish between good games and bad ones.
I thought Codex was different but even they failed to identify this gem of a game, and instead of supporting the developers they are bashing them.
Hangar 13 are so active on social network in taking players feedback to improve and expand the game, which is a rare thing these days for AAA developers
to show so much interest in interacting with their customers post-release.
Why was the game even released in this state? Did the supposedly internal studio run out of money?
It does look unfinished in some areas but this might be due to DLC's planned for future. They have confirmed races, customization, outfits as free content to be released very soon, and the paid story DLC's should bring more gameplay value by adding variety of content alongside the mini-stories which will greatly reduce the repetition experienced in its current state.

People simply need to show some patience. This game will be a lot better once all the content is out, mark my words!!

Last edited:

Abhay

Augur
Shame really, you guys find this
funny when the game is actually a lot of fun and interesting over prev. Mafia's in many ways. Its your loss! I tried what I could to inform as many players as possible about this gem of a game.

Mazisky

Magister
Abhay , i gave this game the best chances to be good, but it isn't.

The missions are all the same, really repetitive, the game engine is the worst i ever played, much worse than Xcom 2 at release. And now after patches it's even worse.

The narrative and soundtrack are awesome but you end doing boring parts (the game itself) just to see the next cutscene.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Finished it, Mazisky is pretty much spot on.

The narrative/music part is done really well, gunplay is much better than GTA, driving model is quite ok, especially on simulation.. but gameplay activities get real boring real quick (with only highlights being final missions in each district + story missions).

I found it pretty hard to finish the game because the flaws, instead of the usual "I finished the game gladly despite the flaws".

Abhay

Augur
Tell me which AAA open world game isn't repetitive?
How many of those come with a degree of freedom to encourage different playstyle?
Mafia III actually encourages you to break the repetition each time using a number of ways like stealth, ramming vehicles during chases and shooting the tyres, wiretapping to recruit the racket bosses / informants instead of killing them, trying melee attacks on enemies to take them all instead of guns, etc.
Mafia III gives players the options to think and decide how you want to approach each mission and make it different from the earlier ones, which isn't possible to experience in one playthrough.
You need to spend time in experimenting with different tactics.
The problem is, many players are simply not interested in pushing themselves enough to seriously try and experiment with the gameplay systems and are judging the game based on first impression and spouting hatred all over the internet in cursing the game for its repetition.
GTA IV and V are much more boring and repetitive than Mafia III.
Mafia III missions have that old-school GTA feel to them unlike the modern GTA's that are so heavily scripted and linear leaving you no room to experiment.
Mafia III's really fun if you take your time without rushing through the story. It certainly lacks some diversions to break the repetition but the DLC's are on the way to provide much more content anyways.

rezaf

Cipher
Yeah, the big failing of Mafia 3 is that disregarding a handful unique missions (which still have the same repetive whistle-and-kill gameplay) everything just plays identical to everything else. Small touches like the final fights in districts usually taking place in locations you've just cleared further water down the wine.
So, without strong mission design and without small lovingly created touches like being able to fix your car or use the faucet, the game gambles away the main appeal of it's predecessors. The story bits are well done, but hardly anything in between is memorable.
Now, any of the 3D GTAs had better, more varied missions AND a much better open world with much more to do.
Which is why I feel Mafia 3 was shipped in a pretty disastrous state.

Abhay

Augur

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Abhay
Are you a sentient unsold copy of Mafia III?
Mafia 3 Ships 4.5 Million Copies in First Week, Setting New Launch Record for 2K

Shipped refers to copies sold to retailers, but not necessarily through to consumers. A sold-through number for Mafia III was not shared.

vgchartz said:

2k leak said:

rwVGW.gif

giphy.gif

mj-laughing.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
shipped =/= sales.

shipped means it is delivered to wherever they print the CD to stores/outlets

sales = arrived in consumer's hand and they've paid it.

something can be shipped 100 mil units, but until it is sold, it jsut mean they're rotting on shelves or warehouse

Abhay

Augur
I know the distinction between the two, and what's so funny? There's nothing to laugh about it. I simply updated him with the official press release from 2K, that's all there's to it.
It doesn't matter how many copies were sold to customers, because right now, there are many concerns regarding the game's performance and gameplay issues after the hypocrites panned it.
In fact, I even said in one of my earlier posts making this very clear as well.
If you haven't played the game yet then don't be in a hurry to buy it, but wait for the DLCs to arrive and then pick it up with all the improvements in place.

If you can deal with whatever shortcomings are there like I did then you won't be disappinted in terms of how much dedication has gone into the setting, details, writing and top notch atmosphere.
The first week ( or month ) isn't the end of the road for the game. The sales will pick up after the game's fixed with more content, plain and simple.
If this was a Rockstar game then the game would have easily crossed the 8 million mark because of the blind adoration that many idiots will throw their money on another boring, repetitive GTA game. Hangar 13 as developers are still unknown to many which night explain the cause of poor start but as the first game from Hangar 13, I'm definitely impressed by their work.
I'm sure as the time passes, far more appreciation will follow.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
It doesn't matter how many copies were sold to customers, because right now, there are many concerns regarding the game's performance and gameplay issues after the hypocrites panned it.
In fact, I even said in one of my earlier posts making this very clear as well.
The first week ( or month ) isn't the end of the road for the game. The sales will pick up after the game's fixed with more content, plain and simple.
Davidlaughing.gif~c200

Holy shit, either you're one of the worst shills I've ever seen, or you're one real delusional motherfucker. Desperately ignoring basic facts about game launches and sales to fit your bizzarro narrative about Mafia III doing a turn-around and making back tens of millions of dollars over a month after it launched to shitty reviews and fuck-all actual sales.

Please, gimmie a hint on what you're gonna say next, because this is too much. The game's gonna be a hit when it's released in China? The digital deluxe re-release will fix everything? All the liars who dared say a bad thing about the game will burn up in a holy hellfire for their misdeeds? I'm sitting on the edge of my seat here man.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
If this was a Rockstar game then the game would have easily crossed the 8 million mark because of the blind adoration that many idiots will throw their money on another boring, repetitive GTA game. .

I'm pretty sure it happened for Mafia 3 too, lot of sales at launch cause blind adoration like for Gta. The difference is that for Mafia 3, 2\3 of purchases were refunded 1 hour after.

If this was a Rockstar game then the game would have easily crossed the 8 million mark because of the blind adoration that many idiots will throw their money on another boring, repetitive GTA game.

:lol: If this was a Rockstar game it wouldn't be an utter piece of shit even in worst case scenario. GTA is one of few series that actually deserves to be bestseller.
Mafia III is one of them special cases where even seeing couple of gameplay videos is enough to know it's utter dogshit. I wasn't even tempted to "demo" it to find out for sure because it was clear as day from videos.

You must be one of them cheaper shills.

Last edited:

Abhay

Augur
The first week ( or month ) isn't the end of the road for the game.
It is for hyped AAA games that have nothing going for them.
It has. A much larger, sensible, majority who are still interested in playing Mafia III; no matter the small, disgruntled, vocal minority within this thread dislikes the game.
Don't tell me you have never experienced a AAA game with a bad release?
One should take notice of the game's official support page(s) to realize tons of appreciation, thank you's, recommendations, etc indicating massive number of love for the game. They are not wasting time in whining for the sake of whining but showing their support to the developers because they are not stupid not to realize how publishers push for early release for whatever reasons that the developers have to do what 2K demands.
The fans can obviously see the potential in Mafia III. Hangar 13 are listening to them with their efforts to support the game with free content and new SP DLC's that can definitely help the game succeed long after its release.

The fan ( including Mafia 1 fans ) reaction to this game is phenomenal!!!
They do realize the problem of repetition but its still fun compared to Rockstar games, and prev. Mafia's.
Mafia III will turn out to be a lot better and superb after post-release updates and additions.
It is important for the success of the game, and series future, because Hangar 13 have proved they are indeed talented bunch and they can make a better open world next time, learning from the mistakes in trying to make an open world game for the "first time".
Unfortunately, haters like you are only interested in bitching and complaining about the game without having any interest in supporting the game nor appreciate the developers other achievements in this ambitious game which greatly outweighs the negatives.

Apart from whining about the repetition which isn't specific to this game, you have got nothing else to prove that this game was a failure when it comes to franchises' core strengths for which the game has "received unanimous" praise, but as usual, let us all join hands in nitpicking the smallest issues about this game and ignoring the larger points that make this game far better than Mafia 2, and as excellent as the first one!

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
They had so many damn years to work on this garbage

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom