Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mage's Initiation - A Classic Sierra-style Adventure/RPG

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm glad that they've done so well, though slightly annoyed that they'll be wasting their time porting to tablets. Oh well.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
meh doing this on Tablets isn't that much of a problem for this kind of game (see the limitations it DOES cause in Shadowrun Returns). And if it helps them to make more Classic Sierra Games, hell yes. <3

DeepOcean

Arcane
I want the Himalaia guys and the Quest for Infamy guys all the luck in the world. Someone have to continue Sierra work. While Lucas Arts had very good adventure games, they didn't had the same impact that the Sierra ones had with me, nothing that Lucas Arts produced made me feel what I felt playing Quest for Glory, Gabriel Knight, police quest, King Quest VI. I don't know why i'm addicted so much to those games but boy I cant play modern adventure games garbage like the Tell Tales Games or David Cage shit.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I want the Himalaia guys and the Quest for Infamy guys all the luck in the world. Someone have to continue Sierra work. While Lucas Arts had very good adventure games, they didn't had the same impact that the Sierra ones had with me, nothing that Lucas Arts produced made me feel what I felt playing Quest for Glory, Gabriel Knight, police quest, King Quest VI. I don't know why i'm addicted so much to those games but boy I cant play modern adventure games garbage like the Tell Tales Games or David Cage shit.
It's no big mystery what made Sierra great. (Mostly) good puzzle design, technological innovation that was used to move gameplay forward rather than just being for its own sake, a great sense of exploration and danger in all their games, a sense of humor without becoming over the top, solid main characters, great music, great art. The list is long.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Hey, thank you so much. I know, for us, that we're just making the kind of games that we'd love to play. Trying to fill a niche for these kinds of games - I think there's room for all kinds of games out there, from the big AAA titles with crazy graphics and wild online play, to games like ours - with retro, hand painted graphics, puzzles, and fun adventure stories to tell. I'm just glad there's people out there who can still appreciate them in the vein in which we're making them.

Bt

I liked the demo, artstyle reminded me of Broken Sword, however the text descriptions seemed pretty lackluster to me - I get a lot of enjoyment out of examining everything in an adventure game, and the writing really helps bring the world to life.

I'm aware that this is just an Alpha, wish the developers the best of luck (QFG was one of my fav adventure series as a kid), and hope the writing is given the love it deserves.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I know the writer on this game, and I can tell you - one thing this game won't suffer a dearth of is writing. In the completed version, there will be interactions for the smallest details, I'm sure!

Bt

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Private Backer Forums Now Open!
Update #23 · Mar. 25, 2013 · 2 comments

Hello, hello initiates! We trust that you’ve had a chance to rest up after the big celebration on Friday night! Once again, a big resounding THANK YOU from us! We were floored by your amazing support, and while the campaign was not an easy endeavor, you certainly made it a lot of fun!

Private Backer Forums Open!

With that said, it’s gotten quiet and lonely in here! So without further ado, the private backer forums are NOW OPEN! Here’s how you get started:
1) Register for a forum account here using the same email address used to make your pledge, whether it was with Kickstarter or PayPal. We need to match the address used to register with the address in our backer reports.
2) Send our forum administrator, Sean, a PM stating you’d like access to the private forum. His username is navynuke04.
3) Upon verifying your email address, access will be granted!

If you’ve already registered with us before on a different email address, just drop Sean a PM and tell him the email address you pledged with.
Help With Failed Pledges & Pledge-Upping

We’re also happy to say that it looks like a vast majority of the pledges came through on Amazon, so far we’ve lost less than 1% of our grand total to card errors. However, we did get a few messages from folks whose pledges failed and wanted to correct them. Amazon policy is that you have 7 days to fix failed pledges, which often entails calling your bank/credit card issuer and authorizing the transaction or updating an expired or stolen card on your Amazon account.

If you’ve passed the 7-day window and your pledge has still failed, don’t fret, just give us a shout and we can set you up again in PayPal.

Also, if you’d like to raise your pledge and didn’t have a chance to, fear not, we got aDonate button where you can enter any amount (be sure to add the correct amount for shipping if outside the USA.) Be sure to include the tier you are upgrading to in the Note section, as well as a shipping address if your new pledge entails physical items!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
New backer-only combat demo has been released today. So check your KS updates if you're a backer!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The combat isn't omfgamazing. But it's fun enough.
I really dig the art. Very nice.
The interactions in the demo are piss-poor but this is the combat demo after all. :)

Glad I backed from what I've seen so far.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Been a looooooong time since this game got a Kickstarter update.

Boleskine

Arcane
Update is live

First things first, some belated happy new year's greetings to our dedicated acolytes! We've got quite a bit to report to you regarding Iginor's construction.

Himalaya Summit Meeting 2014 (and beyond)
From the virtual pen of Daniel Stacey

Chris and I caught up for over a week, in real time and space in Melbourne Australia, to work on outstanding design issues and to cement a plan of attack as we move forward into this, the most pertinent stages of the game’s development.

83daa3558026eb5b2c2f70299970609d_large.jpg

A pile of puzzle design documents from January's brainstorming session.
240096fe278bd4e96cd3e5c35d54ed7b_large.jpg

The result of a very productive summit meeting.
As a result, the past few weeks have seen a phenomenal amount completed, both design and coding wise. Here are just a few of these achievements:

• The Priestess' Palace labyrinth, assembled over an eye-watering span of just two days, is now fully navigable and ready to be explored.
ff2d1b7f2bfa5c1d0b598954945c869f_large.jpg

The Priestess' Palace Labyrinth. A network of doom and gloom.
  • It’s in this very maze that we can now meet a collection of our esteemed backers… bodiless and bloodied, they are a worthy addition to the treacherous Amun-Cul’s collection.
  • Evoker tier backers have begun to make an appearance as full-bodied sprites and we are determining where these extras can appear in-game. In both cases, much painstaking work has been undertaken to ensure that the likeness of said backers is captured as accurately as possible.
  • The palace of Amul-Cul now contains a mural room, which must be solved… in additional to an intriguing, intuitive, puzzle-driven treasury room where not all is as it seems.
1fd0ca22fc742f5274c953c5220b95fc_large.jpg

Scrooge's money bin has nothing on this place.
  • D’arc’s non-combative spells have undertaken some serious refinement. He can now float (as an Air Mage) and a particle system has been implemented to accommodate his Jet spell (Water Mage).
  • The crossing of the lake, an enchanted expanse which must be navigated in a certain way, is now fully scripted… another incredibly speedy accomplishment.
  • A major redesign of the puzzles leading up to the Priestess’ palace has meant a more immersive experience for the player. A new character has been added, and those originally included to be mere traders now have a much greater role in the storyline.
  • The boss battle for Act 1, and its relevant combat strategies, are being diligently coded as we speak.
  • An insane amount of art assets for Act 1 have been completed and now look unbelievably awesome in-game.
These are just a few milestones that we have achieved and we're looking forward to accomplishing even more!

We have set an internal goal to complete each game Act within a set time and we're pushing like mad to reach it. At the time of writing, we are agonizingly close to finalizing Act 1 (of 4) and our team is looking forward to playing through it and getting - for the first time - a proper feel for how the game is steadily shaping up.

Daniel

Note - I left out the information about swag and Greenlight voting to save space.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Thanks! Still looks beautiful. God, I love the Sierra verb bar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom