Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mage's Initiation - A Classic Sierra-style Adventure/RPG

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
James is a great coder -- he worked on Cat Lady, he's porting Shardlight to iOS for WEG, and he managed to make an action-platformed in AGS. I'm confident that the coding of the combat will be solid. The combat design itself, who knows?

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
James is a great coder. He works AGS magic.

I'm glad they're finally wrapping this up. It's been like 7 years in development. I hope it's a fun game - I do enjoy playing adventure games as much as I do making them, so I'll look forward to playing this.

Bt

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-classic-sierra-style-adventure/posts/1808727

Mages Acting Up

Hello, backers!

It's been a while since our last status report, so we wanted to drop a very quick update to let you all know that we're still alive and working frantically to get the game released in the coming months.

As most of you know, the alpha/beta test version of the game was released to eligible Kickstarter and PayPal backers in September 2016, and since then, numerous bugs of all types, varieties, and shades have been found, reported, and fixed. Beta testers/Backers have also provided some wonderful suggestions to enhance game-play, which we have happily taken on board. The result of this direct input is a much more refined product that caters to the thought process of actual thinking players. Feedback on the game has all been very positive, too, so that's something we're very happy about!

The beta testing process has actually started to slow down over the past few weeks, which means our testers have probably found most of the bugs they're going to find and that the game is finally in a stable state. We deviated from our normal production process with Mage's Initiation. In all previous games, we recorded voices and put them into the game before launching the beta testing phase. However, this time around, we opted to leave the voice casting and recording until last. The plan was to give beta testers a chance to review the dialog and let us know if anything could be reworded, made clearer, or if new lines should be added here and there to further explain and clarify certain puzzles or plot aspects. This has proven to be a winning strategy that saved us a lot of time, as it will minimize the amount of re-takes (pick-up recording sessions) we need to conduct with all our voice actors. In the past, it was always a major hassle, getting actors back after extensive parts of the script had to be changed, post-voice recording.

Speaking of which, we've recently put a lock on the text and dialog, and are now in full swing casting voice actors and splitting and lip-syncing all of their lines! The spoken script for this game is enormous, with over 5,700 lines (51,090 words) for the protagonist, D'arc, alone. There are approximately thirty-five NPCs in the game (give or take) and NPCs, on average, have between 100 and 300 lines each. So we have a colossal task ahead of us when it comes to separating, cleaning-up, and lip-syncing all of the game's speech audio. The job takes full, monotonous days of doing only that specific task - so, with that said.... better get back to it! And we'll be back with another update, most likely when the casting process is complete, so that we can introduce all of our new voice actors. Until then, keep castin'!

Sincerely,

The Himalaya Team

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
There's definitely some unrest in the comments section as of late.

Though I have no doubts the game will be released; these guys finish their stuff, no matter what.

Bt

V_K

Arcane
Even supposing they do and it's all true, what kind of person reveals such information on a public website?
The only logical explanation I can think of is that the brother stole some of his sister's payments and blamed it on the developer, and now is trying to weasel his way out of this situation.
[/conspriracy theorist mode]

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
I've worked with JP Selwood in the past, and a bit with Emily, and I can say JP is a straight shooter. He'd never steal any of his sister's funds. I didn't have as many interactions with Emily (and these were over 10-12 years ago) so I can't speak to her state of mind. I'm sure a proper agreement was reached for payment, as JP said... so I don't know what caused her meltdown here. But, as far as conspiracy theories go - JP is not that guy.

Bt

V_K

Arcane
Well, people having different faces for work and for personal life is a well known phenomenon.
I can only judge from what's been posted in this thread, but revealing such sensitive information publically is a grossly unethical act from whatever perspective. I mean, it's just a defamation case waiting to happen. And combined with the eagerness with which JP is trying to shut Emiliy up, it makes his behavior very suspicious.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A quick Google search shows that head trauma can trigger mental illnesses, including delusions and paranoia.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
I think JP is just eager to not have it play out in public, and eager to protect his sister. The guy is actually a paragon of propriety. To the point that, 12-13 years ago, he stopped working for Infamous Adventures, when we first came up with the idea for Quest for Infamy. At the time, the game was more a direct QFG parody, and actually took place in Spielburg. We had more crass jokes and rude stuff, and he decided it wasn't something he wanted to do. AGDI picked him up after he left us, and he's done artwork for all of their remakes (including re-doing stuff for KQ1 and KQ2+) as well their QFG2 and King's Quest III. The only reason he's eager is too protect his sister and his sense of decency. I'd do the same if my brother was crazy. Well, my brother is crazy, but he's a luddite and doesn't know how to use computers, despite being younger than me. This is a tangent. I do wonder what triggered it for her - getting into making indie games is definitely different than signing up with a large corporation, and you know what kind of remuneration you're in for when you sign up.

Bt

V_K

Arcane
I think JP is just eager to not have it play out in public, and eager to protect his sister.
But that's exactly the opposite of what he's doing! I mean, what could have stopped him from trying to talk some sense into Emily privately, and if that didn't work - to write a private message to kickstarter support, if that was the case? At best, I can interpret his actions as trying (too hard) to distance himself from Emily and her crusade, and even that isn't very brotherly. But I still can't wrap my head around that car crash comment - you don't post such damning things about someone you're trying to protect, you do it to someone you deeply hate and want to see destroyed.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Head injuries and related issues aren't usually very straightforward or simple, if the what brother said is true. Afaik one might still be able to function "mechanically" pretty normally, but as Infinitron said, cause delusions and/or paranoia. No matter what's really the truth, very tough situation and probably not easy one to deal with.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
But that's exactly the opposite of what he's doing! I mean, what could have stopped him from trying to talk some sense into Emily privately, and if that didn't work - to write a private message to kickstarter support, if that was the case? At best, I can interpret his actions as trying (too hard) to distance himself from Emily and her crusade, and even that isn't very brotherly. But I still can't wrap my head around that car crash comment - you don't post such damning things about someone you're trying to protect, you do it to someone you deeply hate and want to see destroyed.
Yeah, it's all strange, but I definitely think he was trying to quell some kind of fire and protect his sister. Who knows, though. I'm pretty sure their part in production is done now, too - at this point, they're fixing bugs, and editing the script to get it ready for recording and lip-syncing.

Bt

V_K

Arcane
Revealing the car accident was probably necessary to stop the general public from getting ideas that Himalaya is an unethical developer.
It really wasn't. His earlier comment about them both getting paid was enough for that.
And anyway, if he values some random guys' reputation over his sister's, what kind of brother does it make him?
(I really don't know why I'm so invested in this. I guess I'm just venting my unrelated real-life frustration)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really don't see how revealing the accident is in any way damaging to his sister's reputation, if that is indeed the truth. It's less damaging than her own posts are - it explains her errant behavior and shows people that she's not out to slander developers or spread lies. That's better than what would happen if he said nothing and it was uncovered by other people that she lied, and nobody knows an accident was involved.

V_K

Arcane
Seriously? Saying "My sister is crazy, everything she says is a lie" isn't damaging to her reputation? Try getting a job, while stating on your CV that you have a history of mental illness (even something mild, like depression).
Bascially, there are two option here (if the accident did happen): either she's legally incompetent, and then she shouldn't have had internet access in the first place; or she's legally competent and then I'm pretty sure it's illegal for him to disclose such information.

A very sad and bizarre affair, to be sure. My gut tells me that he's telling more truth than she, but, as a cynic, I of course have to assume that they're both lying (probably predominantly to themselves) about something. Regardless, I think most of us know how painful inter-family conflict can be. Here's hoping they get it sorted soon.

AND WHERE'S MAGE'S INITIATION, DAMMIT?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom