Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

da_rays

Augur
Life gain sucks indeed , maybe what Jason Liang meant was Life has a ressource is underrated .

there is a few way to make life gain interesting , in draft , with certaiin mechanics and/or a deck revolving around that theme . with that said , life gain in Arena right now is pretty meh . I saw a few decks with the green creature that give 3 life when getting proc by explore , annointed priest , a shit loads of tokens and a bunch of merfolk to top it off. More explore than life gain , but stil , he took everything to the face with minor consequences.

Gotta admit for now the meta is very diverse , havent seen a lot RW and GB decks , lot of people seem to enjoy that Scarab god BU deck.

Unlocked my first ''Vault'' today , nice addition , 4 packs and some WC .

v1rus

Arcane
I got into closed beta awhile ago, but I figure, no sense in playing if they are gonna reset the progress. Gonna wait for the definite "NO MOAR WIPING" moment.

That aside, Im really excited for this game. I seriously hope they decide to add older expansions, since I'd really like to experience the entirety of MTG.

Yes, I know thats impossible, but one can dream.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Life gain has evolved into an extremely undercosted effect.

I wish green could get in on some of that lifelink action:(

I'd like an updated Scryb Sprites with lifelink. G, 1/1, flying, lifelink.

Even Ivory Tower is still pretty good...

(one of my favorite decks is Sylvan Library + Magus of the Library + Horizon Chimera + Brainstorm)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
since I'd really like to experience the entirety of MTG.

OCTGN ( If still alive ) got all of that . drafting alpha digital packs was a laugh by itself. I enjoy a lot drafting , so that was perfect for me . Might even install that later today. Fuck. Caught in MtG addiction again :negative:

Forge or XMage. Both have rules enforcement. Not sure if the OCTGN plugin had that?

da_rays

Augur
FeelTheRads If you mean triggerin abilities and keyword like they should and/or trigger certain card sentence ( like tutoring a card , fetch in graveyard , sacrifice X permanent and stuff like that ) , IIRC , with an updated definition of the game ( which is basicaly the game rules , be it MtG , 7th sea or whatever other game ) you have all the abilities and keyword applying themself and taking action when needed . its been a while tho , currently installing to see how a game roll while playing specific action card . Out of curiosity , Which is the better of the two you mentionned? Or i should say the one which his more user friendly , OCTGN got loads of games but cant be a bitch to install , setup and get all the cards images . trying to get a few buddies playing mtg again , and the install part is where it choke in the neck

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Both are on the same level regarding user friendliness I'd say. They have auto-downloading of card images and everything.
Last time I tried XMage was updated faster though, in regards to adding new sets and rules.
Forge had better AI, if you're interested in that and more game modes, including a quest mode similar to the old PC game, though with no overland map, basically just winning cards and various upgrades as you defeat more enemies.

v1rus

Arcane
since I'd really like to experience the entirety of MTG.

OCTGN ( If still alive ) got all of that . drafting alpha digital packs was a laugh by itself. I enjoy a lot drafting , so that was perfect for me . Might even install that later today. Fuck. Caught in MtG addiction again :negative:

Well, one thing I feel is that you cant REALLY get the feel of whole mtg if you are just tossed in a pool with 50+ expansions and god knows how many cards. It needs to be gradual.

Which is way i hope MTGA will gradually add older sets, one by one. :happytrollboy:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
So I got to Silver 2 and I don't seem to be able to move up from there with preconstructed decks. Everything will be wiped, so it doesn't make much sense to invest time into this now, but I'm liking the game so far. A couple things: it's ridiculous that if I have nothing I can cast, the game immediately passes the priority and then turn to my opponent. That way the guy knows I don't have anything I can cast in response, which is, as I said, ridiculous.

The other beef I have is with the interface itself, I hope they'll obviously fix the client, but certain things are silly, like, the "countdown" time bar is right the fuck above the "done" button, wtf, didn't anyone playtest this in any way? Or when I open the settings menu, the "x" to close it is BEHIND the fucking menu and I have to pixel hunt to be able to close it if I don't want to push the escape key.

Anyway, it seems well done so far, I hope they add the stuff to add friends to play with ASAP, I'm definitely playing this and hey maybe even pouring some money into it if they do it right.

da_rays

Augur
Yup that the 2 biggest thing they need to correct/tweak/implement , that "tell" wehn you have nothing to cast is awful. And like you said earlier Scruffy , need a friend list and being able to duel them. I doubt we'll see it in the beginning , but I would love some draft action .

Been testing OCTGN/Xmage/Forge : Forge is far better for me , UI is pretty good , lots of play style to choose from. Think ill try to get myself a cheap ass 10inch tablet to play that.

Out of curiosity , any Codexers would like to play on Forge? I mainly play stanndard and draft but anything goes since we have full card pool at our disposition

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
I toyed with the dinosaur deck and used the wildcards and i'm having a lot of fun with it, and even got to gold 2 without much effort. I'm defintely going to invest time and probably some money into this game. If they do it right, this can become the main platform to play magic online, with "Magic Online" proper as a more niche product for type 1 etc players. The interface is infinitely better than MODO's one, still need tweaking but it's cleaner and more intuitive. I can't wait to draft, and to be able to have a friend list to play against friends. If they implement the two heade giant thing like in magic duels, this is going to be a great product. It's already so good that it made me want to pick up paper magic again after more than a decade...

da_rays

Augur
Dominaria set is coming and Event will also be available after today patch , draft mode like you said Scruffy ( 4th of may ) , new battlfield planned also.

I got high hope too for this one , when this thing get out of beta , its gonna be pretty sweet.

News link
I got the itch back too , going on a Dominaria draft on friday. Time to get historic

da_rays

Augur
Since the 26 april , Dominaria is open for all , also the gem shop ( real moneyz currency ) seem open too , tho not sure if working , havent tested since it seem pointless to buy packs now ( and boxes with bonus WC ) . Quick Constructed is the new format , ( I think they are calling this an event ; Always will be available ) which is your standard constructed with an entry fee of 500 gold and you play until 7 wins of 3 loss. You also get a bit of gold and at least 3 various unco ( at least unco ) , and draft opening in 1 week with Hour of Devastation ( Would have love drafting another set than this but hey , its there at least )

On perfomance and UI , game is a bit better on the smoothness , new look of the battlefield are a nice addition. I would welcome the option to tap lands when casting spells ( well lands and mana abilities ) .

Seem like the boros knight RW is pretty popular right now, its like 50% of my matchup. demystify is pretty useful right now ( Since my ''main'' deck is a BW vamp deck )

TL;DR type?

Dominaria is out for grab, 2 new events : Quick Constructed amd Draft is opening next week . Drafy will be from HoD

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
everyone is playing that fucking "play this spell twice and you win" deck

Jason Liang

Arcane
everyone is playing that fucking "play this spell twice and you win" deck
seems legit
:kingcomrade:

I take it this isn't the spell
Image.ashx

Jason Liang

Arcane
Funny that you'd say that, I'm currently playing a control deck which wins by doing 10 damage to the opponent's face with a kicked Fight with Fire, which is basically the same as Searing Wind. Even the cost is the same.

Interesting spell!

I think the better comparison to Fight with Fire is Flame Slash or Roast.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Fight with Fire kicked has an even more powerful effect than Searing Wind, but Searing Wind is also costed as an Instant, not a Sorcery.

illuknisaa

Cipher
Xmage has finally implemented brawl as a format. My flgs doesn't really have any players for brawl despite there being a dedicated edh day.

I made deck with Gideon of Trials at the helm with bunch removal and stax cards. "Fun" times ahead.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Tried a quick constructed, went 6-1 and then got mana flooded. Even at 6-3, you get 800 gold and I got two mythic rares and a rare, so it's definitely possible to go infinite. In fact, going 4-3 gives you back the 500 gold and some cards. We'll see if they keep it at 500 gold, but if they do this is definitely good.

p.s.
anyone knows when the open beta starts? or has a code for a friend? or knows where to get one?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom