Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic: The Gathering

illuknisaa

Cipher
I don't know if you gays play commander but there has been bunch of spoilers for the next commander precon products.
http://mythicspoiler.com/

When the themes for the decks were revealed I was most excited for "jund land matters" but after seeing the spoilers the deck looks extremely. For me land matters mean stuff like "Strip Mine + Crucible" not "play lands and use them to cast big hydras".

Jason Liang

Arcane
I've been keeping up with the spoilers on mtgsalvation.com . Nothing that I find exciting for Commander or Vintage yet. The Fate changer planeswalker commander is nuts but that's only if she gets to her ultimate.

Some of this art looks really crappy, like photoshop. Makes me wonder if they're real cards.

The Bestow Legendary Nymph is pretty cool and in Bant colors too.
636681276318524950.png

Also... Ocotopus Umbra. Hur dur.

636679182172434798.jpeg
v
636679542099822337.png

636679560096422510.png
636679639187093178.jpeg
636680419676754024.jpeg

Last edited:

illuknisaa

Cipher
The bant planeswalker is nuts with all the utopia sprawl type enchantments. Her +2 just generates so much mana and with -1 you can put auras onto stuff like the Chain Veil.

40.jpg
192.jpg
215.jpg

Squid

Arbiter
Some of these cards will make for cool situations in EDH. I like the Sleeper Agent since it isn't super powerful but rather just something fun for the format. EDH is better when it isn't hyper competitive in my opinion.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Some more hotness revealed:

636682119654894862.png
+
Image.ashx

Yowza. Burn in U/B. Stack a 10 on top of your deck and burn everyone else for 10 on turn 3 or 4. Or even turn 2: turn 1 Sage of Epityr, stack your library, turn 2 Ninjitsu! Does she even pay the Commander tax if she sneaks in with Commander Ninjutsu?

636682187497053868.png

Cheats spells and her combat traits means she presides like a bitch queen. While many of the recent "big" spells are even (10 cc), most of the Time Walks are odd costed. Too bad I'm a traditionalist and only play 5/6 sphinxes.

In Chromium's colors too!

636679547273920322.png

1 cc!

illuknisaa

Cipher
Commander ninjutsu ignores commander tax which is pretty nuts. You can even during sac her if she gets blocked and then ninjutsu her back in if you have another unblocked attacker.

Honestly deck with her on the helm with bunch of evasive creatures, few ninjas and arcane adaptation/conspiracy seems pretty sweet.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yuriko is arguably vintage playable. I don't even need Stephen Menandian to tell me that. Very easy to stack the top of your deck with a Force of Will, Gush, Treasure Cruise or Dig Through Time for cheap damage.

Her ability isn't just herself. It's PER ninja. She's Leovold on crack.

AND she's Human too!

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
Commander ninjutsu ignores commander tax which is pretty nuts.
Yeah, I have a feeling every EDH group/circle will be seeing someone building a deck off of it now. She seems pretty good in general for Vintage like Jason said and EDH since you can throw in high CMCs. And since each trigger of that ability will put the card in your hand it prevents an Omniscience from hitting everyone for 10 each time for 4 ninjas hitting someone and ending a multiplayer game in a few turns.

illuknisaa

Cipher
I'm not sure how great she is in vintage and lot of the high cmc cards mentioned are restricted in vintage but I don't follow vintage so what do I know.

Full spoiler is up:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...-2018-edition-decklists-and-tokens-2018-07-27

I gotta say I'm very excited for the jund deck. It has so many exciting reprints such as:

en_M1wfZ8AJ2D.png
en_6lRkjRnG9o.png
en_VWkoPuz7qP.png
en_scGVqWAnPX.png

Zendikar Incarnate is especially amazing:
en_gbh544n4Ie.png
I think they really nailed the "lands matter" -theme.
It's a bit shame that we didn't get a Colossal Dreadmaw reprint :negative:. I guess we have to wait for new ravinica set to come out.

Jason Liang

Arcane
In Vintage, you use the Restricted List as the first draft of your new deck (if you are playing BLUE). Slap Dig Through Time to the top of your deck with Mystic Tutor/ Vampiric Tutor, attack, Ninjutsu, BAM, draw.

https://mtgdecks.net/Vintage/carlkid13-5-0-decklist-by-carlkid13-754127

Of the 46 cards currently restricted in Vintage, this recent deck is running exactly half of them (23)... even the Force of Wills and Paradoxical Outcomes are free Lava Axes.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Some interesting reprints:
BLUE
Thirst for Knowledge in the new-style frame. Hopefully with the FNM art.
Predict in new-style frame!!!! I played Solidarity in Legacy, this is huge since Predict is very good in that deck.
Ponder in the new-style frame.
Portent in the new-style frame (although iirc it had a Modern frame reprint in one of the Coldsnap precons).
Treasure Hunt in new-style frame. Damn I completely forgot this card even existed.

GREEN

ENCHANTRESS'S PRESENCE REPRINT! I've waited OVER A DECADE for this.
WILD GROWTH REPRINT! Ditto on this one.
Eidolon of Blossoms in new-style frame. Nice for Legacy Enchantress.
Kruphix's Insight in new-style frame.
Ground Seal in new-style frame.

ARTIFACT
Prototype Portal in the new-style frame.

MULTI
Charnelhoard Wurm in new-style frame.
Gaze of Granite in new-style frame.

And ofcourse reprints of cards with the new targeting wording is nice.

The reprints in the Estrid deck are very exciting but I'm shocked they didn't reprint Sterling Grove here as well since they have the new art promo for it in MTGO.

62467.jpg

Last edited:

illuknisaa

Cipher
Personally I'm exited for Phyrexian Tower. I've been looking that card for Karador but I ain't gonna pay over 30 euros for it.

636782497152557130.jpeg

Jason Liang

Arcane
Certainly a good set for land, I need Ancient Tombs and Caverns as well.

My wish list (as a Green mage):
Magus of the Library
Sylvan Library
Prismatic Omen
Chancellor of the Tangle
Glittering Wish
Reborn Hope
Sterling Grove
Scryb Sprites
Elvish Spirit Guide (although it might be reserve listed?)

Stuff like Collected Company would be nice but you figure it's marked for reprint sooner or later. Some stuff I want for foils like Briarhorn and Oath of Druids. Not sure why they bothered would Vintage stuff like Mana Vault but then Fastbond would be nice.

illuknisaa

Cipher
Aren't Magus and Chancellor like 10 cent cards? Who would want to open those in a 12 eu booster pack?

Jason Liang

Arcane
99% of cards end up as 10 cent cards or dollar rares. Even Fastbond's always been a 10 cent card. Magus and Chancellor are nice, underrated, playable, old modern-legal cards that would be nice to have. Market value is not the only factor and is also a long-game anyway. The Transmute Artifacts I bought for 25 cents for my Su-Chi deck are now worth $170. For $25 I could have bought 100 Transmute Artifacts. Bazaar of Baghdad used to be a $4 junk rare, only valuable to collect Arabian Nights.

Besides, they've already spoiled some lousy rares (in play-value and money value). Visions of Beyond is a sad blue rare.

I want Magus with better art and the new colorless mana symbol, like this:

magus-of-the-library.jpg
Chancellor-of-the-Tangle.jpg
mtg-skillborrower.jpg

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
full set is up!

Some nice cards but the only one that really excites me is Song of the Damned, a lost pearl from Ice Age. Ah well. Foil Rootwallas to go with foil doggies ain't bad.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
My Hazoret deck is really good, it makes me feel bad for my other decks because they simply aren't anywhere near as good. I really miss the heyday of my Big Black Deck (TM) when my friends would get outraged at my tactic of rezzing my weakest creatures to get their death effects again. The time I used Certain Death, then Rise From the Grave on my friend's Stormtide Leviathan to win a four-way free-for-all is one of my favorite MTG memories.

illuknisaa

Cipher
I once casted Necromancy targeting World Shaper in response to a Jokulhaups. Other players just scooped on the spot.

Last week I managed to cast Trading post on turn 1. I won the game several turns later. Why hasn't edh rules commitee banned Post already?

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm playing Forge's new Planar Conquest mode. Since I won enough battles I can unlock two new planes. Each plane has its own block (and possibly other stuff. I know Dominaria has the newest base set.) of cards. I'm running a mono-white Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant deck (If I get three mana before taking damage my creatures are invincible until they kill the enchantment) and am looking for common/uncommon cards that are useful. In particular I think I need stuff to deal with flying (either low CMC white fliers, flying enchantments and flying hosers) and more importantly artifact removal and anti-enchantment removal stuff. Planes in the game are
>Alara
>Amonkhet
>Dominaria (already unlocked)
>Innistrad
>Ixalan
>Kaladesh
>Kamigawa (already unlocked)
>Lorwyn-Shadowmoor
>Mirrodin
>Ravnica
>Tarkir
>Theros

Most matches are 1v1 EDH with smaller decks (40 minimum), so things only useful as duplicates can be avoided. Any recommendations on what I should unlock next?

edit: Found a sweet grinding spot (Oni of the Wild Places. 3rd column 5 up on Kamigawa). Everything has haste but you have to return a creature to your hand each turn and the opponent for this match is totally not setup to take advantage of it. Run a deck loaded with 1 and 2 drop creatures and it's pretty much impossible to lose. Fast and easy money.

Last edited:

illuknisaa

Cipher
I'm not really familiar with "planar conquest" but I've finished the normal quest mode earlier this year. To deal stuff in white I think your best idea would be to use oblivion ring style effects. I know that ixalan has one named ixalan's binding. Searching "exile" as rules text and filtering set/block will probably find cards that are oblivion ring -ish fairly easily.

illuknisaa

Cipher
It has some sort of final boss. You get it after you complete some number of challenges. You need some sort of turn 0-1 win deck or you lose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom