Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Main News about StarLife

tiagocc0

Arcane
I'm working on weapon dissipation and bonus damage when near, I made two variables that can do a lot of weapon variations.
The first variable multiplies the weapon damage according to the max range and distance.
The second variable multiplies the weapon damage and adds to the result of the first variable.

For example if the first variable is A the second variable is B:

A=0.0 and B=1.0 means the damage is always the same no matter the distance.
A=0.5 and B=0.5 means the damage is half of it's value at max distance and it's value when next to the enemy.
A=0.5 and B=1.0 means the damage is it's value at max distance and 1.5 times it's value when next to the enemy.
A=2.0 and B=0.0 means it does no damage at max distance and does double damage when next to the enemy.

Now I just need to figure out what does what kind of dissipation and bonus.

tiagocc0

Arcane
A=-0.5 and B=0.5 should do no damage when close and normal damage when at max distance.
But I have to test, if it becomes too complex I can create a third variable to allow increase in power with range.
Minimum range is planned but it's not coded yet.

Destroid

Arcane
Couldn't you do all that with a single value (treat the damage as its value for minimum range, then a multiplier for its damage at maximum range)? Or if you wanted more sophistication you could use two data points and a function to interpolate.

tiagocc0

Arcane
I have to make it simple to modify, for example, if I want to change it's fixed value I change variable B, if I want to change how much it goes from maximum range to next to the enemy I change variable A.
I can make it a lot more simple than that, but then I would have to make lots of calculations to find the exact value to give the desired effect.
That's why I made the function able to use B as 1.0 as the full damage and A as 1.0 as full damage when next to the enemy.

damageDissipated=((((mapGame.currentShip.component(i).itemRange-distance)/(mapGame.currentShip.component(i).itemRange-1)))*A+B)*mapGame.currentShip.component(i).itemDamage;

tiagocc0

Arcane
Version 0.5 of the Tactical Combat Module is available here.
I will make a PDF document explaining how to play, modify and what was made and will be included later.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Haven't worked on minimal weapon range yet but I just finished coding hyper jump so ships can now escape combat.
I adjusted the AI to try to escape if in danger.
We have a complete new UI that our pixel artist is working on but it's still a very early version of what he wants to accomplish, but it's already much better than the previous version I will check with him if I can post screenshots!

tiagocc0

Arcane
Our pixel artist sent me a preview of what he wants to accomplish so I changed the game accordingly, you can check the result here:
http://purpleorangegames.com/Videos/StarLife_NewCombatUiPreview.mp4

His preview: (He still working on and everything will be improved, this is a very early preview)
layout-mockup00.gif

tiagocc0

Arcane
Hi there folks, here is some more pixel juice for all!
RaceSelectionScreenshot3.png

I put a shader above that make some moving scanlines appear on the screen.

From our news: (Options on the right)
1. Size of the generated star map.
2. Shape of the newly formed galaxy, influences how stars are placed.
3. Number of planets – how many planets orbit each star on average.
4. Biodiversity – determines planets’ overall habitability – the better the biodiversity, the more hospitable the planets.
5. Mineral richness – as above, but influences how abundant in resources the planets are.
6. Number of opposing empires.
7. Neutral races – defines whether minor, neutral factions are generated on the map.
8. The level of technology that every empire begins the game with. Higher levels mean more starting colonies and a quicker game.
9. Game difficulty.

EDIT: If anyone is interested in diplomacy, let's discuss it here:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/diplomacy-how-does-it-work.80940/

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

tiagocc0

Arcane
Yep, Jalonso really got talent!
But it's actually Krom, a rock based alien. ;)

It's a shame Jalonso has been so busy lately, but we can expect him transform more parts of the game like this later.

EDIT: hoverdog was faster!

tiagocc0

Arcane
Thanks, I'm thinking on using it for when an random event appears in conjunction with exploring planets.
When you are checking how much of the planet was explored already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom