Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Majestic Nights , an alternate history 1980s isometric episodic RPG - Released

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

http://store.steampowered.com/app/284140/

ss_f85b04fe224939b1f4c90956348d5d0c362b1a15.1920x1080.jpg

ss_6b73782183502d7f3e9ee751a45e1e09c4f0ab56.1920x1080.jpg

Majestic Nights is an episodic :decline: role-playing-thriller set in an alternate 1980s where all conspiracy theories, past and present, are True.

You play as Cardholder: an intelligence operative who may or may not have been present at or even responsible for many of the biggest conspiracy events in history; and Cal, a humble Private Investigator whose own past is shrouded in secrets unknown even to herself.

With fast, light mechanics, the game has been developed to engross players in a shadowy world of conspiracy with an over-the-top 1980s aesthetic. Players will use wits, stealth and sometimes even a little force to investigate, explore, and acquire ever more clues for their big string-covered wall of conspiracies.

Season One of Majestic Nights takes place over six chapters, which work as a complete story or as standalone experiences. ‘Chapter Zero’, a prologue to the series, will be made available for free. Each subsequent chapter of the core series will be paid, and season passes will also be available.

Feature List
  • Isometric Rpg Gameplay
  • Real-time stealth and combat mechanics :decline:
  • Investigate and collect evidence to reveal the Truth
  • Big hair!
  • A vibrant alternative 1980s setting
  • A world full of conspiracy theories and government plots where everything you know is wrong
  • Controller support for platforms including PC, Mac
  • Nazi aliens!
  • A gripping, six episode story
  • Alternate story paths to explore
  • Puzzles, minigames and more!
  • Kick-ass original 1980s soundtrack
  • ‘Chapter Zero’, a prologue to the core season, will be available free before launch
  • More Truth than any other game!
  • Season Pass will be available on all platforms (and comes with the soundtrack!)
  • Steam Achievements
  • Keytars

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I hope this game will offer the same level of polish, quality, and intelligent design as Frozen Hearth.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Episodic is a big fucking decline. Everything else is gently tonguing my balls. We'll see.

morgan lean

Barely Literate
Hi,

Game play trailer is dropping soon, ill leave a link here.

Thanks for taking a look at Majestic.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, I'm glad I didn't preorder it

Also, short RPS impression piece: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/11/02/majestic-nights-demo/

Alice gave the low-down on conspiracy-focused adventure-RPG Majestic Nights back in July. I liked the look of it for cramming every last UFO-spotting and government crop-dusting rumour into one storyline. Ambitious, yes, but an interesting concept I’d like to see the endgame of. What’s it like navigating a world where these things are obviously true? Now there’s a demo that also serves as a prequel, which you can read my thoughts on below, and a launch trailer for the first episode of the planned six.

I’m disappointed.

It’s not the world I dislike. That’s a neon paradise – a caricatured, ’80s any-city, all flashing dance floors and awkwardly shaped instruments. Sharp suits in vast underground bunkers with circular doors, bouncers in straw hats and drug dealers in colourful pants. The writing, though it seems to forget the introduction and set-up of telling a story, does a fine job of characterising cold agency man John Cardholder. It’s careful to dance around flatly stating things, instead giving you the opportunity to work them out for yourself. The conspiracies come thick and fast, the Kennedy’s assassination being a backdrop to the early plot.

Unfortunately, I found the game behind all that mediocre, and occasionally outright broken. The puzzles consist entirely of talk-to-this-person, bring-them-this-item. There’s a dodgy stealth system using shadows, which is alright when it works. Combat is imprecise, making the large swathes of goons you often have to blast through an absolute chore. Worse than that, there are times when the scripting just straight up doesn’t work or character models glitch into the floor.

There are flashes of good ideas in there. Exploring areas and extending conversations will unlock ‘evidence’ which can be used to find new routes, convince characters you’re on their side or expand the storyline. Again it’s hampered by only half-working due to bad scripting or the frustrating combat it forces you through on the way. I didn’t manage to finish the demo, but your mileage may vary. You can also grab the first episode for a launch-discounted £3.39 or the full season for £12.74.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Game looks pretty bad + episodic content path = I'll be surprised if they actually finish all six episodes.

agris

Arcane
Patron
For those of you worried about this game, don't be. The developer is about to change combat from RT to TB, he just needs 10 'likes' on his post to do it!

From the steam forums:
Morgan from Epiphany said:
If you guys would really like to do turn based combat, ill do it next week test and see how it goes We need to get some really good feedback on the game, so if I think it works and its good on PC (I know about turn based games I have made them before and am in the process of designing one now). So you will need to play it a bit. Vote here and if It gets upto 10 ill do how does that sound fair?
Sounds legit.

:d1p:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, too close to plunging money.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Update on the switch to turn based:

Hey guys, Lead designer here - re: turn based combat: actually that was the initial idea way back in early preprod, however we decided to go with real-time combat, m ostly to keep the combat relatively simple. Of course this has provided it's challenges, and with your awesome feedback, we'll be continuing to work on ironing those things out as we go. Our touchscreen versions of Majestic are in fact already turn-based, so the likely option we'll go with is having an 'opt-in' system for PC and Mac players, where you can select in options to enable turnbased. However, with whatever we do go ahead with, be assured we will keep you updated.

thanks again for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

If only Bethesda worked that quickly.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
but, is the music great?
You do realize it's set in the 80's, right?
:troll:
Just kidding around... the 80's were kind of a dark age for prog rock, so I'm a little jaded, that's all.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Thats why i asked, bro.
My bad, I recalled seeing the title of 80's music thread you made in the Library forum and like in this case, wasn't sure whether it was ironic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom