Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Making a game

XMark

Novice
EDIT: I am a double-posting fool.

Megatron

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
That's the impression I get anyway. The "exotic weapons" thing sounds interesting to me, as long as exotic weapons are rare enough to actually feel cool when you finally obtain one.
Extremely rare.

Whats the point in building up a skill for just one or two weapons then? You might even build up the skill and not come across any exotic weapon, so what's the point?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Megatron said:
Whats the point in building up a skill for just one or two weapons then? You might even build up the skill and not come across any exotic weapon, so what's the point?
The skill wouldn't even show up until you find such a weapon. These weapons are more effective in general, so it would take less XPs to develop the skill. Why invest at all? Why some people tagged all 3 weapon skills in Fallout? I'm not making choices, you are. My job is to provide as many as I can. This is not a stupid choice, btw. There are several good reasons to invest in this skill that have something to do with the mechanics of the game.

Vault Dweller

Developer
XMark said:
I'll put in my two cents worth, since I've been around the RPG dev block a couple of times so what I say just might mean something :)
Appreciate your advice

But anyway, be prepared for a hell of a lot more work than you expected, but if you got the drive and you can sustain it over what will probably be at least a year then you got the stuff. Good luck!
Yep, I expect to spend at least a year playing with that thing. I'm fully aware of the complexity of it. To make it somewhat simplier I'm going to have less locations, especially useless locations, and focus on making what I have more interesting. Fallout is definitely one of the games that inspired me, it was a relatively short but incredibly well designed game, unlike FO2, for example. Anyway, thanks for the luck. :)

EDIT: I am a double-posting fool.
Common, we all double post every once in a while :)

Megatron

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Megatron said:
The skill wouldn't even show up until you find such a weapon. These weapons are more effective in general, so it would take less XPs to develop the skill. Why invest at all? Why some people tagged all 3 weapon skills in Fallout? I'm not making choices, you are. My job is to provide as many as I can. This is not a stupid choice, btw. There are several good reasons to invest in this skill that have something to do with the mechanics of the game.

I was thinking mainly of energy weapons in Fallout.

I hope the exotic weapons are a lot different from other items (like some ancient rifle or a whip). I think it would be silly if the exotic weapons were just swords or axes but 'exotic'.

Vault Dweller

Developer
A lot different. It took me a lot of time and research to come up with the concept.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Well, they're exotic in what sense? Exotic like Oh i shove my hand trough this poor animal, squeeze its insides and he fires energy!, or exotic like Hmm, those pesky aliens came for a picknick and forgot some things here, or just exotic in the sense of materials, shape and attack movements?

Human Shield

Augur
Human Shield said:
Maybe exotic could be "Inhuman weaponry" and it should require perks in lore or a teacher to start learning how to use them. Or "Uncharted Weaponry", or; Freakish, abnormal, irregular, odd, anomalous, bizarre, extraordinary, obscure, mysterious, unorthodox, unconventional.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Role-Player said:
Well, they're exotic in what sense?
Exotic in a sense that they were not made for humans, and as such they require understanding of different combat logic then that of the traditional weapons. You may not even realize it's a weapon when you come across one. No firing out of some poor animal's butt :) No modern/futuristic weapons. Hope that helps :wink:

Human Shield said:
Maybe exotic could be "Inhuman weaponry" and it should require perks in lore or a teacher to start learning how to use them. Or "Uncharted Weaponry", or; Freakish, abnormal, irregular, odd, anomalous, bizarre, extraordinary, obscure, mysterious, unorthodox, unconventional.
Yeah, I noticed that the first time, and I agree that exotic is probably not the best choice, but I'll leave it for now as a code name. The name that I'll probably use in the game would give away their origin, and spoil it for you. Oh, how about mystary weapons? :lol:

Megatron

Liturgist
What skill are you going to have throwing weapons in? I'm hoping exotic as the skill rarely gets used in any crpg.

What type of weapons can we expect? Are they all going to be mythical or will there be some that some monster with no fingers has?

What would you consider an exotic weapon in the real-world? A chainsaw? nunchucks? keys?

EXPLAIN PLZ

Vault Dweller

Developer
Megatron said:
What skill are you going to have throwing weapons in? I'm hoping exotic as the skill rarely gets used in any crpg.
No, the general skill is ranged, the specialized skill is throwing.

What type of weapons can we expect? Are they all going to be mythical or will there be some that some monster with no fingers has?
Are you still talking about exotic ones? Can't you like wait? I'm sure the game is going to be out in less then 10 years. :)

What would you consider an exotic weapon in the real-world? A chainsaw? nunchucks? keys?
Hard to say. I'm not an expert on weapons, and I'm unable to say that this weapon does or does not exist in the real world. Well, I'm sure that since I was able to think of it, some sick bastard also thought of that at some point in history :)

All I can say is it was not made for humans. No big deal. Humans prefer different weapons. Exotic weapons aren't uber weapons, they're just...different. You can not use every exotic weapon you'll find for various reasons, but there would be few you'd be able to handle. They are more of a flavor thing for those who are sick and tired of traditional fantasy weapons and traditional fantasy.

XMark

Novice
BTW, if you need a musician for your game project, drop me an e-mail ;)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Thanks, I believe I'm still far from that phase, but I'll definitely talk to you about it when I'll have more stuff done. After all , you're the only musician that I know. :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Who can judge the art and tell what's beautiful and what's not? As long as you put your soul into it. :lol:

EEVIAC

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Thanks, I believe I'm still far from that phase, but I'll definitely talk to you about it when I'll have more stuff done. After all , you're the only musician that I know. :)

What about Mr. Teatime? You could get him to "improvise" a score for your game. Sucky game - sucky soundtrack - makes sense. :P

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hmm, that's actually a good idea. Better yet, I will get not a sucky but a god-awful sountrack (Otaku's armpit's sounds come to mind :) ), so reviews would say that comparing to the music, the gameplay is not that bad. :lol:

Megatron

Liturgist
How are npc's who tag along going to be handled?

I'd like too see 2 different types of companion mebbe. The first would be hireable 'vanilla' mercenaries with standard stats and equipment. They'd be pretty cheap but not very good, though they wouldn't add to your party limit so you could hire a bunch. I imagine these similair to the 'redcoats' in Star Trek, just some fighters for rich diplomats. The second would be how npcs are normally in rpgs, 'hireable' through either money or quests. I'd like to see them flavoured a bit though instead of having a bunch of fighters and the odd guy to fix weapons or spot traps. Mabye have ones with unique abilities, spells or weapons.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I have a pretty cool mage NPC. You can't play as a mage because magic is rare and takes a lifetime to master, but you can get this guy who's an apprentice to the actual mage who takes an interest in your quest and wants to help or keep an eye out. You never know with these people. Anyway, the guy is an apprentice so he doesn't have a good grasp of magic and every time he uses it it may backfire in your face. There is a situation where you need to cross some water, and you can do it in a variety of ways, but if you ask your new pal he would try to summon a boat from the sea depth (what good is the magic if you can't do spectacular things anyway), but the one he summons comes with her undead crew, and isn't exactly in mint condition, so some repairs would be necessary. You can kill the skeletons or you can talk to them, which is a whole different story.

XMark

Novice
Are you planning on making it freeware or selling it online?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Selling. I was always fond of making lotsa money :) Seriosly though, I'm selling to pay for the engine (a considerable expense) and to motivate me to make more games. That's what I always wanted to do.

Oddit

Novice
Have you srarted perogramming yet, or what? What engine and compiler are you using, and how much experience in programming do you have? How far into development are you? Do you have any others included in your team (if there is a team, or a team of one for an arrogant bastard :twisted: :P ). Just curious about a fellow designer. That is all.

Oh, and I am rather interested in this, but a bit more info on your setting would be nice :wink: .

Vault Dweller

Developer
Oddit said:
Have you srarted perogramming yet, or what?
Just enough to know that I can do that and to see the limitations and possibilities. There is no point to design quests and combat system if I'd never be able to do that.

What engine and compiler are you using
I was asked not to disclose that untill I have something to show.

and how much experience in programming do you have?
I've been around for some time, so I know a bit of everything. Currently I design and develop databases, if that's what you're asking.

How far into development are you?
The paperwork is almost done. Char system, combat system, areas design, npcs, quests, reputation, dialogues, etc. In a month I'd be able to start working with the engine. I'm currently checking another engine to see if I can work with that as well. Both engines are very different and have their pros and cons, so picking one creates some limitations right away, hence the delay.

Do you have any others included in your team (if there is a team, or a team of one for an arrogant bastard :twisted: :P ).
I don't play well with others. :) Well, I'd love to have some people helping me, but at this point the only help I require is feedback when I post something here. There are things that I don't do like music and stuff, may be some art and graphics, but I'm not sure at the moment what I want. Right now the mood of the game is too dark, it's not a friendly place, so I'll probably tweak it a little bit.

Just curious about a fellow designer. That is all.
That's cool.

Oh, and I am rather interested in this, but a bit more info on your setting would be nice :wink: .
Appreciate your interest. Not sure what I can tell you about it. It's not something that could be described in a few words. You see it as you play the game. The magic is very rare, there is only one race - humans, if somebody is talking to you, then you're being used somehow, and you have to make sure that you get something out of it in return. It's all about leverage. The closest thing that I can think of to compare the mood is Moorcock's Quarzhasaat if you've read the books.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom