Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Making a game

Nightjed

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
I have a pretty cool mage NPC. You can't play as a mage because magic is rare and takes a lifetime to master, but you can get this guy who's an apprentice to the actual mage who takes an interest in your quest and wants to help or keep an eye out. You never know with these people. Anyway, the guy is an apprentice so he doesn't have a good grasp of magic and every time he uses it it may backfire in your face. There is a situation where you need to cross some water, and you can do it in a variety of ways, but if you ask your new pal he would try to summon a boat from the sea depth (what good is the magic if you can't do spectacular things anyway), but the one he summons comes with her undead crew, and isn't exactly in mint condition, so some repairs would be necessary. You can kill the skeletons or you can talk to them, which is a whole different story.
if you plan using that sort of omni-powerful magic you should consider using reagents just to encorauge a little variation on the solutions, if you use magic here you might not have that rare pearl for the next river (maybe you could also allow the use improvised reagents which would cause even more backfires)

edit: oh yea, ultima 8 pagan style magic rituals for item creation (potions/wands/grenade style thingies) would be cool too

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Nope, sorry, that's not how I see magic. See this thread for references. I don't see any strategic elements in artificial limitations like ingridients or memorizing spells. It doesn't even have the same level of respect. You command forces of nature and can manipulate the fabric of the existence, you can't be turned into an impotent just because you didn't get your beauty sleep or can't find a special pearl in that huge bag of yours. You're a mage not a shaman, that's a whole different ball game.

Oddit

Novice
Drk mood is good. I like dark. it makes a change from all the happy singing in the woods fantasys around. I want to be able to play something dark and adult like Fallout or Torment. But whatever you are happy with. Everyone has their own opinion, regardless of what Voloun may say. :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
No happy singing in the woods, that's for sure. The reason that I'm thinking of lightening it up a little bit is that after I read it, I didn't find a single nice person in the game :) Any thoughts on that?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
No happy singing in the woods, that's for sure. The reason that I'm thinking of lightening it up a little bit is that after I read it, I didn't find a single nice person in the game :) Any thoughts on that?

Poor childhood memories surfacing and invading your work?

Vault Dweller

Developer
hehe, no. I believe there are 2 kind of people: bad and very bad. The game, as it is now, reflects that. I suppose that there are some people in the game who are "nice", but since they don't have anything to say to you, it's hard to say whether they are nice or just rude :). People that you have to deal with in the game fall into 2 categories: the ones who want something from you and the ones who have something you need. Caution would be required when dealing with both types.

Oddit

Novice
Okay. I like it. Very self centered. Is this based around the fact that everyone needs to look out for themselves or some other motivation. At least there won't be some stranger in a tavern who spills his guts about his personal life and tells you to go kill a rat. :shock: But once you gain their trust, they will do that, trust you, but not nessisarily be nice. :wink:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Oddit said:
Okay. I like it. Very self centered. Is this based around the fact that everyone needs to look out for themselves or some other motivation.
Some people look out for themselves, some people look for opportunities such as your character to advance/improve their positions, some people think that strangers ignorant of local customs are there to take advantage of, some people would want what you have, etc.

At least there won't be some stranger in a tavern who spills his guts about his personal life and tells you to go kill a rat.
Nope, no such thing.

But once you gain their trust, they will do that, trust you, but not nessisarily be nice. :wink:
They don't care about trusting you, and they sure as hell don't care about your friendship. The only questions are whether or not you are useful and how effective you are when you are being used :)

Oddit

Novice
Even better. :) Although some may not have the brains or the capabilities to try to use you. What will you do in their case?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Well, if you happen to be smarter and more perceptive in life matters then they are, you can use them instead and play your own game. (See the quest I described when I started the thread). You can play and even beat the game as a professional con artist.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sorry to resurrect this old topic, but is the game still being worked on? (I realise that a long silence doesn't mean it has been abandoned as it is hardly a short or quick process.)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Absolutely. I'm discussing different things every now and then. If you care, express your opinion here and here. I've got the engine, support from the engine's creator is great, so things are going well. Thanks for asking :)

Edit: Here is the char system thread

Nutcracker

Scholar
Just as an aside, i was wondering if you were planning to include mounted combat?

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Nutcracker said:
Just as an aside, i was wondering if you were planning to include mounted combat?

You're still an ass, but since it's TurnBased I don't really think there's much of a point.

obediah

Erudite
Nutcracker said:

Well, in two years, when you dig up the #hellgatelondon thread you'll find out the game is vapourware anyway.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Hey. I found out about your game a while back, and I must say it seems very promising. So promising that I in fact overcame my tendency to out of lazyness not join even the forums I regularly browse.

Anyway, what I've read about AoD so far on the site and in these threads really appeals to me, so I basically just wanted to wish you good luck in further development of the game. And now that I have an account, I'll surely express myself in more detail in other threads, as well.

Seven

Erudite
nihil said:
Hey. I found out about your game a while back, and I must say it seems very promising. So promising that I in fact overcame my tendency to out of lazyness not join even the forums I regularly browse.

Anyway, what I've read about AoD so far on the site and in these threads really appeals to me, so I basically just wanted to wish you good luck in further development of the game. And now that I have an account, I'll surely express myself in more detail in other threads, as well.

Have you seen AOD's homepage; it's got a lot of neat stuff: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

vazquez595654

Arbiter
By they way, how come conversations have to take over the whole screen with that ugly brown background. All kidding aside, with regards to my immediate previous post, why can't conversations take place in the world, similar to Arcanum.

Vault Dweller

Developer
At this point I honestly don't remember. We did discuss all the options, but that was 2 years ago. For the record though, I didn't like how it was done in Arcanum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom