Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Making a game

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Why not?

Is there any reason to bring in the screen consuming background? I am assuming there will never be a situation where you're in a conversation and someone walks up and joins in, since that is impossible with the current dialogue system. Maybe since its been two years, you can go through some of the features and mechanics and see if they still make sense.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Seven said:
nihil said:
Hey. I found out about your game a while back, and I must say it seems very promising. So promising that I in fact overcame my tendency to out of lazyness not join even the forums I regularly browse.

Anyway, what I've read about AoD so far on the site and in these threads really appeals to me, so I basically just wanted to wish you good luck in further development of the game. And now that I have an account, I'll surely express myself in more detail in other threads, as well.

Have you seen AOD's homepage; it's got a lot of neat stuff: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

I sure have. That was the "site" I was referring to.

As for the conversations, I don't mind the screen consuming background. It kinda provides a focus shift, where the conversation is in the center of things. Might actually enhance the immersion a bit, with nothing to distract you from reading the text. Maybe you could even tone down the music and background sounds a bit when it pops up. At the very least, it reminds me of Fallout, and I like being reminded of Fallout. ;)

tiagocc0

Arcane
Well VD, that´s was a lot to read.

About the skill, what if you had two bars of the same skill, like one-handed, one you train with your points, the other you pay for it, like you pay someone who knows better, but the second bar gives you little improvement, but hey, it could save your life on a tight spot.

Working with numbers you could say the first goes to 100% and the second to 30%, so a poor guy can reach 100%-0% while a lazy rich boy could get 70%-30% and someone really interested in the skill could reach the 100%-30%. just an idea.

Lumpy

Arcane
Long story short, I've decided to make a game...
Well that's nice to hear. Good luck with it. :D
Try not to spend a decade on it, okay? ;)

1. March in and kill the beast which turns out to be a guard animal, protecting the house. The noise you made draws everybody out of the house including the owner who doesn't look like the guy you'd met earlier and creates an opportunity for thieves to rob the house.
You get a reputation of a fool, and penalties with theives, nobility, and guards and have to restore the damage to the house owner (opens up a unique risky quest that nobody wants to do but you are in no position to refuse)

2. You are smart enough to get suspicious, and go talk to the actual house owner who confirms your suspicions. The thieves get ambushed and killed.
You get a bonus with nobility for protecting their interests, the thieves naturally hate you and would kill you given a chance, the guards dislike you for taking law in your own hands. It opens up quests with nobles who wants things done.

3. Like number 2 but you go to guards who ambush the thieves.
You get a bonus with guards which opens up some quests with them since you respect the law, thieves dislike you, nobles are grateful but not as much as in no 2.

4. You are smart enough to figure out the scam, and you want in, but not as a patsy. You blackmail the thief pretending to be the noble to let you in, then go and find another dumb looking adventurer to kill the terrible beast ravaging your yard while you and you new buddies clean up the house.
You get a reputation of a smart and fast fella with the thieves which opens up some shady quests requiring brains, unless you double-cross them and report to guards after the robbery, the guards are suspicious of you, the nobles are neutral (unless you offer them to track down those responsible, etc).

5. You can do nothing of course, which gets you nothing

Now, tell me whether it's good enough, what did I miss, and what could be improved, added, etc.
It's not bad, but I'd suggest making the combat so fucking hard that taking any option except for 5 is simply suicide.

The transformation of the whimsical "happy emoticons" VD of yore into the hard-nosed "good fucking riddance" VD of today is a little reminiscent of

Linos the Skull owed his nickname to his appearance, and his appearance to the decades of service to the merchants guild, which changed the enthusiastic youth with blue eyes and wavy auburn hair into a dispassionate old man with a bald head and cold, almost colorless eyes sitting deep within the dark sockets. Business to Linos was a boardgame. He moved pieces and executed strategies, without taking any "human element" into account. Good opportunities shouldn't be missed just because some people happened to be in the way.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
no I cant do taht beacus of teh rigts, hahaha, I will maek my own systam called d19 very clevar hahaha set in lost relmz and it will haev romances but with girlz bacuse I dont liek faggots!!11!!! :lol:
That would have revolutionized the genre.
What if, what if...

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Isn't VD suppose to be some marketing guy? Kinda weak he never thought about kickstarter, huh? :smug:
Nah, we love you VD! You fight the good fight... but now Brian steals the show.

MCA
The transformation of the whimsical "happy emoticons" VD of yore into the hard-nosed "good fucking riddance" VD of today is a little reminiscent of

Linos the Skull owed his nickname to his appearance, and his appearance to the decades of service to the merchants guild, which changed the enthusiastic youth with blue eyes and wavy auburn hair into a dispassionate old man with a bald head and cold, almost colorless eyes sitting deep within the dark sockets. Business to Linos was a boardgame. He moved pieces and executed strategies, without taking any "human element" into account. Good opportunities shouldn't be missed just because some people happened to be in the way.

Especially funny when someone points out that he has become jaded after years at it, he still tries to rationalize his denial.

Anyway, only two more years left until the grand decennary.

Volourn said:
Setiously, VD, your quest is a good idea. And, you stole it from me! :x :lol: :wink:

Don't tell me we think alike! :shock: :lol:

LMAO The BIo fanboys 9the real ones ones nott he fake accused ones like me) are crying over a stupid game. HAHAHA! Gots to love the internet. I hope they cry while they are playing KOTOR MMo and ME3 for the 7th time. L0LZ

The Codex... well.. it's the Codex.. continues to bitch about shitty devs like BIO/OBS/BETh yet continually throws their $ and T at them.

R00fles!

I called *you* an idiot, Skyway, 'cause you're a special like that. I also explained *why* I called you an idiot, but being an idiot, you didn't understand a word. The joke is, quite obviously, on me.

The game isn't perfect and there is more to it than combat. We've listened to the feedback, to criticism, and agreed with many complaints and suggestions on this here forums. Of course, I didn't agree with every random dumbfuck and listened mostly to people who put some thoughts in their posts, but that's not a reason to get all butthurt.

I'm sure that with a lot of hard work and a little bit of luck, you too can get to the point where people actually listen to what you have to say.

this is like those parts in war movies where you see the soldier playing on the forest as a kid, before it cuts back to adult him with a smile on his face gunning down women and children who are tied to trees in that same forest

Shin

Cipher
I have two good (at least I think so) ideas: one is fantasy, one is sci-fi (frontier space, planets' exploration, etc). I started with the fantasy one as it's easier to make, then if I'm still in game development busines :) , I will do the sci-fi one, just for you, Spazmo :)

Gotta hand it to VD that he pulled through, unbelievable how little he deviated from his original vision (judging by this thread). My game dev ideas/prototyping always go to shit due to feature creep and not sticking to one thing. Yet here we are 11 years later and VD is actually working on a frontier space game. Wtf. Any chance on you spilling the beans on the project after that one VD ? :p

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
After that one? Well, truth to be told, I've always wanted to make 3 games: AoD, colony ship, and the corporate world of tomorrow inspired by Market Forces, only without the car duels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_Forces
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/10/books/review/market-forces-the-office.html

"Chris Faulkner is a rising young investment banker in the mid-21st century. A typical business day for him goes something like this: He receives a panicked call from an employee in Colombia. The employee is trapped in a hotel, stalked by government police -- stooges of a corrupt dictator. From his office in London, Faulkner puts in a call to Langley Contracting, requesting "five extreme prejudice deletions with immediate effect." He's only slightly taken aback when asked what level of precision he would prefer: "surgical, accurate, scattershot, blanket, atrocity." And just like that, the bad guys are iced.

This is how an action investment banker hero saves the day in the near future. There's no need to go all Schwarzenegger and take out the enemy with an M-16. Outsource the job! Anything is possible in a fully deregulated global economy. Murder is just another entry on the way to the bottom line."

Zeriel

Arcane
I have two good (at least I think so) ideas: one is fantasy, one is sci-fi (frontier space, planets' exploration, etc). I started with the fantasy one as it's easier to make, then if I'm still in game development busines :) , I will do the sci-fi one, just for you, Spazmo :)

I started with the fantasy one as it's easier to make

easier to make

11 years later...

:^)

I miss Spazmo.

Shin

Cipher
After that one? Well, truth to be told, I've always wanted to make 3 games: AoD, colony ship, and the corporate world of tomorrow inspired by Market Forces, only without the car duels.

"Chris Faulkner is a rising young investment banker in the mid-21st century. A typical business day for him goes something like this: He receives a panicked call from an employee in Colombia. The employee is trapped in a hotel, stalked by government police -- stooges of a corrupt dictator. From his office in London, Faulkner puts in a call to Langley Contracting, requesting "five extreme prejudice deletions with immediate effect." He's only slightly taken aback when asked what level of precision he would prefer: "surgical, accurate, scattershot, blanket, atrocity." And just like that, the bad guys are iced.

This is how an action investment banker hero saves the day in the near future. There's no need to go all Schwarzenegger and take out the enemy with an M-16. Outsource the job! Anything is possible in a fully deregulated global economy. Murder is just another entry on the way to the bottom line."

A cyberpunk game inspired by the merits of AoD's C&C , build in UE4 with
teh 3D an partikul effkz!
Sounds like incline. Glad to see you'll be focusing on sci-fi projects in the future; while AoD's setting was quite original in the 'fantasy' genre I would like to see you tackle the whole science vs pseudoscience thing and being consistent when future tech/magic is involved etc (like I'm curious if you'd ever consider putting a resource like mana in or having a weird limitation on abilities like D&D's wizard's spell-per-rest system).

I'll put Market Forces on my to-read list. I loved the heck out of Altered Carbon (probably my favorite cyberpunk novel) but thought the second Kovacs book was not nearly on the same level as the first, guess that turned me kinda away from Richard Morgan for a bit.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
the corporate world of tomorrow inspired by Market Forces, only without the car duels.

Ditch the colony ship and go for this one.

valcik

Arcane
Looking forward to the future ITS projects. :salute:
I'd like to ask, just out of curiosity, what was the biggest inspiration for AoD setting? I totally love it, reminded me of several sci-fi novels I've read in the past. A Canticle for Leibowitz from W. M. Miller is one of them, there's New Rome in this novel lording over separate city-states and wild tribes; supported by monks collecting pre-war relics and knowledge they don't quite understand. Попытка к бегству written by Arkady and Boris Strugacky makes for another example, with bunch of astronauts who've discovered unknown planet inhabited by medieval-like civilization, ruled by despotic tyrant who commands throngs of slaves, trying to figure out how to control some strange and technically advanced devices left in this world by some ancient and unknown race.

Last edited:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I enjoy reading VD's early posts ; back in the day he was full of life, you can see him using smileys and shit, being nice with others. Ten years later life broke him and he is now a bitter old man

Sad story. But we got a game out of it

Give me your blood!

:yeah:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I have a pretty cool mage NPC. You can't play as a mage because magic is rare and takes a lifetime to master, but you can get this guy who's an apprentice to the actual mage who takes an interest in your quest and wants to help or keep an eye out. You never know with these people. Anyway, the guy is an apprentice so he doesn't have a good grasp of magic and every time he uses it it may backfire in your face.

Want cool mage NPC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom