Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Malevolence: the Sword of Ahkranox - Turn Based - Early Access now available

A horse of course

http://www.msoa-game.com/

Wizardry and Eye of the Beholder fans, keep an eye on this indie game. CumQuaT is developing a new game with the intent to recreate the amazing turn-based, first person RPGs from the golden age of PC gaming using modern game engine technology. Naturally, rich classics such as the Might & Magic series, Eye of the Beholder and the like have inspired this new title which, when finished will put its players into a literally infinite fantasy world filled with procedurally generated content.

The Sword of Ahkranox isn’t trying to compete with the larger, professionally developed RPG titles out there, but instead the team’s aim is to fill a large gap that we believe has existed in game technology since the mid-nineties. It is definitely a must-have for all enthusiasts of the quintessential RPG. The game’s procedural engine can generate an infinite number of weapons, items, spells, monsters, dungeons, cities, countryside and even dialogue, allowing the player to explore the game with no end and no reason to stop.

Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox is slated for a Q4 2012 release, exclusively on the PC!

WHEN WILL MALEVOLENCE: THE SWORD OF AHKRANOX BE RELEASED?
We're aiming for a release date of December 21, 2012 - The day the world ends! Lamentably, given that this is an indie development project, unforseen events or lack of funding may occur that pushes this back, but so far we've managed to keep on track for that date and it's all looking good! If you want to have a taste of it sooner, keep an eye on the development blog or check YouTube for new videos. You can also play the official demo when it comes out!

HOW MUCH OF THE GAME IS PROCEDURALLY GENERATED?
Almost all of it! As it currently stands, weapons, items, monster statistics, dungeon maps, cities and towns, forests, countryside, skies, weather and even dialogue is procedurally generated, and we're even working on code that will hopefully make the models of the trees procedurally generated as well, meaning you'll never see the same tree twice!

HOW IS THE GAME BOTH TURN-BASED AND FIRST PERSON?
The gameplay is very similar to the classic first person RPGs of the early to mid nineties, such as the Might & Magic series and Eye of the Beholder. The player stands in a richly detailed, 3D world using all of the latest technology, but movement is done across an invisible grid, meaning that when you take a step, you step forward one meter, and when you turn, you turn 90 degrees at a time. There are, however, moments where you are free to break out of this movement paradigm, such as the freelook option.

WHAT ENGINE IS THIS GAME MADE USING?
Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox is built on the Hellfire II engine developed by Alex Norton and is written using a combination of Visual Studio and the DarkGDK kit available from The Game Creators.

CAN I LICENSE YOUR ENGINE FOR MY OWN GAME?
Absolutely not.

WILL THERE BE EXPANSION PACKS FOR MALEVOLENCE?
There most certainly will be! Currently in the game the player can explore infinite Dungeons, Forests, Cities, Towns and Countryside, but that isn't all that a good fantasy world contains! As we release new expansions, new areas will be opened up to the player to explore.

If it's not vapourware then it'll probably be a horrible buggy mess, and I certainly wouldn't trust any developer that uses an australian for their spokesperson - but I do love me some procedurally generated content :love:

Anyone stupid enough to give them your hard-earned monies can go here: http://www.indiegogo.com/Malevolence

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
They should increase the volume of that youtube video. I can't hear it over my black metal, even if I lower the volume. :mad:

The game's procedural engine can generate an infinite number of weapons, items, spells, monsters, dungeons, cities, countryside and even dialogue, allowing the player to explore the game with no end and no reason to stop, and the best part is, it's all persistent. You can go back to any place you've been in this infinite world and it will still be there.
Randomized dialogue doesn't sound too good though. Would rather just have randomized wilderness and dungeon areas and let story areas be intact and "handcrafted".

Emily

Arcane
why would i want to play random shit?
What is the point :/
Infinite world- lol

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
why would i want to play random shit?
What is the point :/
Infinite world- lol
Re-playability and exploration.
I don't see the purpose of that either though. For an infinite world to be interesting you'd need an infinite amount of things that you can't really randomize, like purposeful NPCs and meaningful quests.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
A turn based Daggerfall? Sounds good.

The game's procedural engine can generate an infinite number of weapons, items, spells, monsters, dungeons, cities, countryside and even dialogue, allowing the player to explore the game with no end and no reason to stop, and the best part is, it's all persistent. You can go back to any place you've been in thisinfinite world and it will still be there.
Randomized dialogue doesn't sound too good though. Would rather just have randomized wilderness and dungeon areas and let story areas be intact and "handcrafted".

That would be impossible in an "infinite world"...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Besides I'd rather have lulzy randomized dialogue than "classic" indie writing :lol:
Hello <PCName>, <AreaWeatherCondition> is nice, isn't it?
Would you like some <NPCInventory_001>? We can trade if you like.
[if PC_Transmogrification =>25] I am considering a <NPCGender>-<NPCNotGender> operation. How much do you charge?

Would be like oblivion at best.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
That would be impossible in an "infinite world"...
No it wouldn't. Areas that actually matter to the plot could be somewhat centralized with fully randomized (infinite) areas around it (and dungeons).

VdBAi.jpg

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
OK, we reached infinity in game length. Good work guys!

Next objective: Quality

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Burning Bridges cannot into Burning Torches

Regardless, I like my M&M clone to have a defined crafted world. Generated shit ends up being BSB 90% of the time and is a waste of effort. Who really went to every town in Daggerfall in order to sup from the cup of repetition? You'd visit one random area, three, ten but after a while you know there's nothing worthwhile to see except more creeps to fight and more merchants to sell rat hides to. Not to mention completely illogical placement of things, towns and dungeons in the middle of nowhere, that kind of thing.

Also there has only ever been one Australian company worth a damn: SSG(and maybe the CA division at the start of this century).

MMXI

Arcane
Regardless, I like my M&M clone to have a defined crafted world. Generated shit ends up being BSB 90% of the time and is a waste of effort. Who really went to every town in Daggerfall in order to sup from the cup of repetition? You'd visit one random area, three, ten but after a while you know there's nothing worthwhile to see except more creeps to fight and more merchants to sell rat hides to. Not to mention completely illogical placement of things, towns and dungeons in the middle of nowhere, that kind of thing.
The point of a procedural world is not to provide more content for the player. No one expects the player to explore infinite towns and talk to infinite NPCs. Walking through a city in Daggerfall should not compel the player to enter every building and talk to every sprite they come across. It's background noise, and with a decent implementation it can also play into the game's mechanics. Asking any randomly created character for directions to a particular location, for example, makes the act of asking for directions a player decision instead of one coughed up by dialogue options attached to particular developer crafted NPCs. Procedural generation allows the player to react to an environment in a realistic way. Instead of walking around every single hand crafted town to talk to every single hand crafted NPC to pick up and complete every single hand crafted quest, the player explores and makes use of the environment in a way that actually makes sense. They visit a shop when they need to visit a shop, they visit a town when they need to visit a town, they talk to characters when they need to talk to characters. It's this natural gameplay that makes procedural content a good idea. It promotes player choice and not developer choice, and is the closest we'll ever get to pen and paper RPGs.

Having said that, this game looks confused. It seems to me that they think Eye of the Beholder is a turn-based RPG.

Stabwound

Arcane
The game looks and sounds okay, but the gameplay videos reaffirmed my suspicions that a turn-based grid "blobber" is boring as hell with only 1 character. It looks like you just take turns trading blows with 1 enemy at a time.

And the use of the Diablo font irks me.

MMXI

Arcane
The game looks and sounds okay, but the gameplay videos reaffirmed my suspicions that a turn-based grid "blobber" is boring as hell with only 1 character. It looks like you just take turns trading blows with 1 enemy at a time.
It's single character? :decline:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The point of a procedural world is not to provide more content for the player. No one expects the player to explore infinite towns and talk to infinite NPCs. Walking through a city in Daggerfall should not compel the player to enter every building and talk to every sprite they come across. It's background noise, and with a decent implementation it can also play into the game's mechanics. Asking any randomly created character for directions to a particular location, for example, makes the act of asking for directions a player decision instead of one coughed up by dialogue options attached to particular developer crafted NPCs. Procedural generation allows the player to react to an environment in a realistic way. Instead of walking around every single hand crafted town to talk to every single hand crafted NPC to pick up and complete every single hand crafted quest, the player explores and makes use of the environment in a way that actually makes sense. They visit a shop when they need to visit a shop, they visit a town when they need to visit a town, they talk to characters when they need to talk to characters. It's this natural gameplay that makes procedural content a good idea. It promotes player choice and not developer choice, and is the closest we'll ever get to pen and paper RPGs.

Having said that, this game looks confused. It seems to me that they think Eye of the Beholder is a turn-based RPG.

Good points. I haven't really thought of it like this before. Guess I've always tried playing procedurally generated games in the traditional 'lets try and see everything we can possibly find way'(as a result of being brought up on exploration crawlers like Might and Magic) rather than imagining how it would be if I was dumped in a big city with countless options to choose from and going from there.

Still, I think that on another level the content still has been too artificial and flat on the whole to provide a convincing enough substitute for hand crafted locations. It's like those painted backgrounds in Ben Hur style epics...they give a good impression of depth and vastness when seen from afar, but the illusion is shattered when you get closer.

MMXI

Arcane
Good points. I haven't really thought of it like this before. Guess I've always tried playing procedurally generated games in the traditional 'lets try and see everything we can possibly find way'(as a result of being brought up on exploration crawlers like Might and Magic) rather than imagining how it would be if I was dumped in a big city with countless options to choose from and going from there.
Which is actually the way RPGs should be played if you think about it.

Still, I think that on another level the content still has been too artificial and flat on the whole to provide a convincing enough substitute for hand crafted locations. It's like those painted backgrounds in Ben Hur style epics...they give a good impression of depth and vastness when seen from afar, but the illusion is shattered when you get closer.
Indeed. But that's a flaw with the implementation and not with the idea.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The guy in the video sounds like he's full of himself.

To be honest, I think neither of you is right. Procedural generation is just a silver bullet that promises to cut down the work by 75%, and small studios are suckers for that.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The "what is malevolence" video in the OP is absolute garbage.

But these LPs look quite all right:

I absolutely demand they keep the Australian accent throughout the game. Shopkeepers, guards, whores, .. all should speak like that guy.

Biggest flaw imo is the 1-character limation. Combat is real time .. I am not even going to say something against it, because then some asshole will come and defend it. With much more polish, I could imagine it to be fun. But with an 8 players party & turn based combat it could be much more.

But then, this is never gonna happen anyway. It sounded like most of the team is currently in university, so the project is doomed. You must never, I repeat: never, put hope in such projects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom