Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marvel Heroes

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
F2P Diablo clone starts open beta this weekend. Anyone else playing?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Played close beta a bit, anyone who isn't a comic/Marvel fan just need to stay away.
As a die hard Marvel fanboy I probably last 1-2 weeks, maps are generally too bland and repeative. Boss combats are typical MMO mayhem.
But characters and their skills are somewhat entertaining and watching them casting their spells and devastating clowns with skills is satisfying.They alos have got nice/funny VO, my Daredevil constantly grumbled about Deadpools chatter :)
Drop rate was OKish in CB (got 4 other characters and many costumes). Cutscenes are the best part, they are all nicely done comics but only exciting on first playthrough.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Having a lot of fun with version 2016. I did play a bit at launch, and back then I felt the same as Cyberarmy. However, there are a lot more characters now* (and new ones released every few months or so). And almost all (except the newest ones) have gone through big gameplay "review" nerfs/buffs/mechanical changes.

Launch heroes:
  • Black Panther
  • Black Widow
  • Cable
  • Captain America
  • Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel on launch)
  • Colossus
  • Cyclops
  • Daredevil
  • Deadpool
  • Hawkeye
  • Hulk
  • Iron Man
  • Jean Grey
  • Punisher
  • Rocket Raccoon
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Spider-Man
  • Storm
  • Thing
  • Thor
  • Wolverine
Hero release order after launch:
  • Human Torch
  • Emma Frost
  • Luke Cage
  • Squirrel Girl
  • Loki
  • Gambit
  • Ghost Rider
  • Nightcrawler
  • Doctor Strange
  • Moon Knight
  • Taskmaster
  • Invisible Woman
  • Psylocke
  • Silver Surfer
  • Mr. Fantastic
  • Star-Lord
  • Rogue
  • Nova
  • Juggernaut
  • Magneto
  • X-23
  • Venom
  • Winter Soldier
  • Iceman
  • She-Hulk
  • Vision
  • Doctor Doom
  • Ant-Man
  • War Machine
  • Kitty Pryde
  • Blade
  • Magik
  • Iron Fist
  • Black Cat
  • Angela
Of course a lot of graphics updates since launch, too.

Currently they changed the "pick out of X starter characters" to "play ANY hero to level 10, then choose one to uncap to level max." I like how non-P2W this game is. You can pay for some medium-term leveling/loot/credit boost buffs, you can buy new characters (and you can also with in-game currency), and then the rest are mostly cosmetic like alternate costumes.

They're adding an option to tweak difficulty level (a "handicap" mechanic a la fighting games, I presume) so that may solve the ease (which I agree with).

Gerrard

Arcane
They are making a complete revamp of all characters and how skills work (no more skill points, instead every character will have a set of talents that let you customize play style and how some skills work, you get all skills as you level but can only use max of 8 at any time) soon. Hopefully this will make Storm less shitty.

Also, no inventory space: the game.

Lhynn

Arcane
The next patch seems to be fixing a lot of the problems with the character system and revamping every character at once. Eliminating specializations, which were a retarded idea in the first place and transforming the skill tree in basically what amounts to a feat system.

Hopefully they address itemization after that (which is completely fucked).

newtmonkey

Arcane
I've been playing this for the last couple days. Fun game, and there's a lot you can do without having to actually pay anything, but I'm not sure that I'm interested in it enough to devote the time/money involved in unlocking more characters, etc. I know you can use some timer-based in-game currency to purchase heroes, but after playing for 5 hours I only have something like 20-30 of those (and you need 175 at minimum for the random unlock). If it was like, pay $40 and unlock all the heroes or something I'd probably go for it.

If I had any interest in comics I think I would flip out for this.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing this for the last couple days. Fun game, and there's a lot you can do without having to actually pay anything, but I'm not sure that I'm interested in it enough to devote the time/money involved in unlocking more characters, etc. I know you can use some timer-based in-game currency to purchase heroes, but after playing for 5 hours I only have something like 20-30 of those (and you need 175 at minimum for the random unlock). If it was like, pay $40 and unlock all the heroes or something I'd probably go for it.
True.

But I do want to point out there are a lot of sales like 50% gold off any character, or buy one get one free.

Definitely understandable. I am not sure I'd play this game much if I didn't like comics.

SOOooo I drew a 10% off G coupon. It's barely anything, but combined with this +15% G sale... It's roughly a 20%-off sale. I might go for it because I dearly want to play Nova and I probably should get a Stash now. I'll sadly wait for a better deal for a Teamup.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
The next patch seems to be fixing a lot of the problems with the character system and revamping every character at once. Eliminating specializations, which were a retarded idea in the first place and transforming the skill tree in basically what amounts to a feat system.

Hopefully they address itemization after that (which is completely fucked).
TALENTS SYSTEM ffs

Lhynn

Arcane
I didnt like nova.

Theres been a shitton of events that made heroes easy to unlock, anniversary event gave me like 5 new heroes. im up to 18 right now, tho i havent played in months.

Heroes ive found the most fun and/or satisfying are Moon Knight, Gambit, Cable, Spiderman.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I actually want to play Dr. Strange, but I'm going to wait for the upcoming sale and I'm not gonna bother to learn his multi-hot-bar play if there aren't going to be multiple hotbars after the patch.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I didnt like nova.

Theres been a shitton of events that made heroes easy to unlock, anniversary event gave me like 5 new heroes. im up to 18 right now, tho i havent played in months.

Heroes ive found the most fun and/or satisfying are Moon Knight, Gambit, Cable, Spiderman.
Lemme guess, you didn't like the Pulsar mechanica? Haha... Nobody does. Thankfully the players have figured out a good and fun movement build for him. Pulsar(s) -> Falling Star -> Cosmic Combo -> Blast-Off -> Cosmic Combo -> Blast-Off -> etc. It's pretty fun because Cosmic Combo is almost a teleport.

None of that, however, is an excuse for Nova's ranged tree. Ugh. Pulsars.

And I would like it possible to make a good ranged/melee (or ranged/movement) hybrid build for Nova. He should be able to fly around and shoot lasers at the same time, IMO. I'm sticking Nova Beam in my melee-centric build just because it looks kewl (well, also, the above movement build/rotation is very spirit-hungry). The nice part at least is that every power, including melee ones, use Energy.

Lhynn

Arcane
Spirit isnt an issue endgame if properly built, for no one. which is why using your big spenders is a non brainer.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Spirit isnt an issue endgame if properly built, for no one. which is why using your big spenders is a non brainer.
I meant when I'm leveling, but on the note of big spenders, Nova's problem is that Nova's big spenders include his Pulsars, which are such a clunky mechanic.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Gerrard Lhynn

What are some Team-Ups that have good dialogue lines and voice-overs? From what I've read, most are annoying (e.g. Carnage) or don't have any dialogue (e.g. King Thor). I heard that Dr. Doom and the 90s VA'ed Spideys (Back-in-Black) are good but they're only found in Fortune Cards or holiday events so :(

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

I forgot to mention that on your 7th day of logging in, you get 400 free Eternity Shards (the in-game currency you mentioned) so that's one free unlock. Actually, random hero boxes are only 175 Shards so if you don't have a character preference, you can get 2 free characters.

Also I forgot to mention that you can unlock all the heroes

for $200 :troll:

Gerrard

Arcane
I have not played the game to that extent, the only tam-ups I have are the ones you can (or could) get for free, and to be honest hearing "Who's a pirate's favorite photojournalist? Peter Parrrrrker harharhar" for the 50th time does get old.

Zetor

Arcane
I haven't played in a year+, but found this game to be a pretty good timewaster. Huge clusterfuck when it comes to gearing, though, so many useless uniques and artifacts -- I mostly used some third-party site to tell me which items were complete junk and which ones were actually useful. jm.shost.ca or something?

Also, the only teamup you need is Groot, since the only character you should be playing is Rocket Raccoon, with the grootling insignia and groot minipet obv. I GUESS you could go with pirate deadpool if you wanted your teamup to be actually useful...

Is the end game still raids? That ended up being a bit of a dealbreaker for me, I had no interest in them when they were being released but most of the top-tier loot was dropped by raid bosses only.

Also, did they ever end up implementing that POE-style map system?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played in a year+, but found this game to be a pretty good timewaster. Huge clusterfuck when it comes to gearing, though, so many useless uniques and artifacts -- I mostly used some third-party site to tell me which items were complete junk and which ones were actually useful. jm.shost.ca or something?

Also, the only teamup you need is Groot, since the only character you should be playing is Rocket Raccoon, with the grootling insignia and groot minipet obv. I GUESS you could go with pirate deadpool if you wanted your teamup to be actually useful...
I'm tempted to get Drax for my Nova actually...

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Nevermind, I heard Drax doesn't have many lines and he gets repetitive, even though the lines are decent.

I'll get Pirate Deadpool but I heard he's also quite annoying. IIRC he also doesn't have many lines (jokes) so he gets repetitive. The "LOL" thing seems kinda annoying, too.

We do start out with a free TU though, "S.H.I.E.L.D Agent" in the prologue. But he's le boring and since Marvel Heroes is a virtual manner of playing with action figures, I'd like to have a fun and flavorful teamup.

Lhynn

Arcane
Pirate deadpool has some funny lines, but they all get kinda stale eventually.
Try coulson?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
My complain about the game is the effect of skills feel floaty? When hulk smashes the ground creating shockwaves the enemy still stands there and firing at me.

And the new item and feat (replacing skill points) seemed retarded. It seemed like a streamlining out of Cataclysm or MoP that would perhaps ruin the game.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Try coulson?
How long does it take to farm for him :(

And the new item and feat (replacing skill points) seemed retarded. It seemed like a streamlining out of Cataclysm or MoP that would perhaps ruin the game.
How is it retarded? You already have free respecs, and almost all builds are min-max - either put 0, 1, or 20 pts (or leftover pts) in a skill. And right now there are no skill pre-reqs/skill-trees so you can already pick any skill you want no matter how many points you have in a tree. I believe they said no skills are actually taken out. So I don't really see a huge difference in the system - it's just very easy "re-speccing."

I assume the Feats are like WoW's original Talent system. Maybe. I dunno. But basically the Feat thing is an additional tree on the Powers menu, and I think no Powers have been taken out (just "moved" to the let). Fakeedit: Actually I recall them saying that the Toggle and Passive skills are moved over to the Talent/Feat system.

The only dumbing down would be for characters that currently need more than 1 hotbar (main example, Dr. Strange).

I don't terribly mind because they never supported it, ever, to the point where the only way to use multiple hotbars easily is to make custom bindings.

On the other hand, I don't have a problem playing the current multiple hotbar Dr. Strange either.

---

However, the main and only thing I'm looking for in the update is retuning of all the characters. There are some characters I want to play that need some luvin... Magneto, for example.

---

Free Luke Cage during the event starting today, I believe everybody can get him. And then the Heroes for Hire characters (for MH, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, She-Hulk, Human Torch or Black Cat) get bonuses and achievies this event, too.

Damnit, why isn't Daredevil in there? Well at least I have Iron Fist and Luke Cage... I wonder how Luke Cage plays now. I played him yeaars ago along with Daredevil, and after not playing for years later, I see the new combo system. But I'm torn towards main-ing Nova, so maybe I'll get Cage to 25 (and DD too) for synergy.

Lhynn

Arcane
Just read the changes to itemization and they are actually amazingly good. Its almost like if one of those assholes was reading the codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom