Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marvel Heroes

bert

Arcane
https://marvelheroes.com/

p. good diablo clone.

(it really is like diablo)

bert

Arcane
You can unlock heroes in-game actually. You can switch between heroes without having to create a new character afaik.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm a big Marvel fan, but quite frankly this is one the worst Diablo clones I've ever played. Everything in this game is as boring as it could possibly be, except for the constant mini boses and occasional motion comic. At least it's free to play, so there's little reason not to try it.

You'll see him on the big screen soon. Not to mention Benicio Del Toro is gonna be in the movie too (Guardians of the Galaxy)

Am I thinking of this guy, or the racoon Green Lantern from DC Comics, where they wrote the character out with an initially humorous 4th-wall breaking story vs his usual arch-nemesis (also a superpowered racoon), only for both characters to realise that their home pocket universe is imploding, and having the story go from humour to surprisingly dark and played straight as the hero and villain end up hugging each other in tears, in the final frames as they realise that it's too late and there's nothing either of them can do, just before things go boom.

Actually, thinking of it, it must have been the DC Green Lantern racoon - he was always a side gimic played for lulz and to show off the cosmic nature of some of the more out there storylines (hence why he and the equally comic villain being written out that way was so effective - it was very reminiscient of the last episode of Blackadder goes Forth, where they've already gone over the front and are mowed down by machine-gun fire (played straight, and morphing into the 'field forever england' with the poppies in the middle of the Somme) before you get the chance to process that holy fuck they're actually going tragic for realz). The Marvel racoon is a bit too central to be killed off that way.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Guardians of the Galaxy got rebooted recently, actually. Rocket Raccoon is less comic relief now. They also ruined Gamora, turned Star-Lord into a pussy and added Iron Man. And worst of all, it's written by Bendis.

Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_Vol_3_1_Granov_Variant_Textless.jpg

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mob variety stinks.
Loot Stinks.
Skills Stink.

I was really pulling for this one, but I don't think there's anything that can save it. Marvel Heroes and Neverwinter shot to shit two of my favorite IP's in about a month's time. Oh well, time to move on.

:dead:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Guardians of the Galaxy got rebooted recently, actually. Rocket Raccoon is less comic relief now. They also ruined Gamora, turned Star-Lord into a pussy and added Iron Man. And worst of all, it's written by Bendis.

Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_Vol_3_1_Granov_Variant_Textless.jpg
What the fuck. I just read Annihilation-Conquest-ThanosImperative... Time to stop reading I guess.

Mob variety stinks.
Loot Stinks.
Skills Stink.

I was really pulling for this one, but I don't think there's anything that can save it. Marvel Heroes and Neverwinter shot to shit two of my favorite IP's in about a month's time. Oh well, time to move on.

:dead:

Agreed on all points.

Game just feels kind of cheap. I mean, yeah, it's free-to-play game and all, but it all just looks and feels so uninspired. NPC portraits especially. Which is not the end of the world or anything, but with the Marvel license behind it and the exorbitant pricing model I guess I just expected more.

Seems to be maybe 1-4 mob types in a given act. I don't see many of the heroes having more than 1-2 viable builds, and the skill trees for each character are nowhere near as developed as in D2, Torchlight 2 or even Champions Of Norrath. Granted you can switch heroes on the fly, so maybe character variety is supposed to make up for individual character depth.

It's not hopeless or anything but at this point in time the game just feels kind of flat. I enjoyed the Ultimate Alliance games and Brevik's name is attached so I was cautiously optimistic. But now that I think about it the game feels a bit remniscent of Hellgate: London.

final verdict: fuck that loser

Name

Cipher
Heard this game got a lot of revamped since then...
somehow the action feel smoother than Path of Exile...

I gave it another go.

I will admit things have improved a bit. Mechanically it still can't touch PoE, but the action has a certain bombastic quality that I can appreciate. I've genuinely had some fun with it so far.

It unfortunately seems to take more from an MMO ideology than from a proper Diablo clone, which is disappointing given the Brevik connection. Most of the end game seems to revolve around running instances where you either protect Prof. Xaviers mansion from waves of random supervillians or do boss runs for a particular super villian. Some of the best items in the game are rare drops that you can *only* get by killing a particular boss after running their instance. Tales of people doing hundreds of Dr. Doom runs while stacking Magic Find to 800% with pay-for boosts are disheartening, to say the least. Raid Bosses are going to implemented soon.... which doesn't exactly excite me because I've hated raiding in every MMO I've ever played.

Itemization, again, pales to PoE and I'd imagine even D3 since it's had its revamp. Crit stacking and damage stacking seem to be the most valuable stats of the day. Most unique items have been pretty boring so far, the most dramatic effect I've seen on an item is a large amount of life leech when using a movement power. Too many procs and flat +bonus damage bonuses, not enough items that completely alter the way you play by itself. There are +% chance to X or Y on hit items galore, which always struck me as kind of boring itemization.

And of course, there's the embarassing, ever-present in-game store. I understand they've got to make their money somehow, and this being my only FTP game aside from POE, maybe I'm just ignorant to how these things work. But they emailed me the other week because 'Team-Ups' were being introduced, which are essentially D2 mercenaries featuring some of your all-time-favorites from the Marvel Roster. I could get a pack with She-Hulk, Clea, Domino, Beta Ray Bill and Spider-Woman for the low, low price of $39.99! I check the forums, and users there are embracing what a value this is, because this is far cheaper than if I'd buy each character individually!

Now I'm sorry... if you're going to shill David Brevik in my face about this game, I'm going to compare it to Diablo and Diablo 2. And I am sure as fuck not going to pay 2x the price of Lord of Destruction for a goddamn mercenary or five, that's completely stupid and so is the community by and large if they truly believe this is a 'bargain'.

Not to mention that in their Buy 1 Get 1 promo for costumes and characters, the 'Get 1' portion is a random token. So if you decided to buy a titty costume for say, Emma Frost, your 'free' costume is random and likely for a character you don't even have or a costume you don't even want.

Not to mention some costumes and items are locked behind 'fortune cards', which cost $1 each and give you a chance of unlocking this super-rare item you can't get anywhere else! You can buy a 250-pack for $100.00!!! And people actually do this.

I'm not opposed to throwing a few bucks at FTP game, or even buying cosmetic DLC here and there. But it's like this cash shop is the scummiest, patronizing shit I've ever seen. I would give a buck or two to buy a character or a costume to support the devs. BUT I'M NOT GOING TO SPEND $20 ON DEADPOOL COSTUME.

... uh yeah, sorry, went on a tangent there. For what it's worth, I have enjoyed the game enough to keep playing it for a bit, despite my better judgement. And you can earn new heroes now with in-game currency. But despite me liking it a little more, it feels way to grindy and makes me feel dirty to play.

Name

Cipher
Your complaint on micro-transaction is largely misleading...
Nothing non-cosmetic is hard-locked by micro-transaction. All team-up heroes can be bought through in-game Eternal Splinter, which drops rather regularly (I'm a casual player who hasn't even reached end-game which I don't think I will because MMO are boring and repetitive and I have enough splinters to buy one). The fortune cards are bought through cosmic bricks which are guarantee dropped by those instance bosses (From what I read, most people spend the comic bricks thingie on the fortune cards because there are no better place to spend them. Which is another usual complaint). Even some cosmetic items, such as Deadpool Enhanced Costume you mentioned which adds new set of voice-overs and possibly animations can be potentially gained through random costume crafting... But I suspect the odds are rather low for you to get exactly the one you want but then you should just spend money on it if you really want it.
Their only crime is stash space can only be bought through real money and they adds a lot of craps called runes to make you fill it full.

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to spending chump change for costumes. I event spent something like $5 for cosmetic DLC in Marvel versus Capcom 3. $5 in that game gave me costumes for 4 different characters. $5 in Marvel Heroes will buy you a shitty costume, but you'd need at least $10 for a decent one.

Again, I'm not big into FTP so maybe I'm lacking perspective with this stuff. My only real frame of reference is PoE, which I didn't give me these vibes. I have no idea how their prices compare to other 'free' games. But a lot of this shit just seems scummy to me.

It seems shitty that you're given a relatively abysmal drop rate, and that Magic Find bonuses you find on gear pale in comparison to the boosts you can buy with cash. Sure, they hand out plenty of them with free promo codes, but they come in so many different flavors that your stash space runs out quick. Magic Find is a mechanic I find distasteful in ARPGs to begin with, but here they exploit it for all it's worth.

It seems shitty to me that for a 'Buy 1 Get 1 Free' promotion, the free token you get is random. The odds of getting a 2nd character that you don't want, or a duplicate that you already have is very high. Why not just let you pick 2 of a particular tier? If you're going to ask me to spend money on your amazing deals, they could make it less of a gamble.

And yes, you can buy team-ups with eternity splinters. They cost at least 450, though, which is more than all but the 'premium' characters. Just seems out of whack. Honestly what tickled me there was the fact that their email was trying to convince me that pre-ordering a bunch of Diablo 2 mercenaries for the price of a retail game was a great idea.

There's just too much 'BUY XXX IN THE CASH SHOP FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF DERPITY DEEP' to not bug me on some level. I never got those feels from Path of Exile, but sure, this is a different beast. I'm sure Marvel wants to make their money where they can.

Name

Cipher
I'm not opposed to spending chump change for costumes. I event spent something like $5 for cosmetic DLC in Marvel versus Capcom 3. $5 in that game gave me costumes for 4 different characters. $5 in Marvel Heroes will buy you a shitty costume, but you'd need at least $10 for a decent one.

Again, I'm not big into FTP so maybe I'm lacking perspective with this stuff. My only real frame of reference is PoE, which I didn't give me these vibes. I have no idea how their prices compare to other 'free' games. But a lot of this shit just seems scummy to me.

It seems shitty that you're given a relatively abysmal drop rate, and that Magic Find bonuses you find on gear pale in comparison to the boosts you can buy with cash. Sure, they hand out plenty of them with free promo codes, but they come in so many different flavors that your stash space runs out quick. Magic Find is a mechanic I find distasteful in ARPGs to begin with, but here they exploit it for all it's worth.

It seems shitty to me that for a 'Buy 1 Get 1 Free' promotion, the free token you get is random. The odds of getting a 2nd character that you don't want, or a duplicate that you already have is very high. Why not just let you pick 2 of a particular tier? If you're going to ask me to spend money on your amazing deals, they could make it less of a gamble.

And yes, you can buy team-ups with eternity splinters. They cost at least 450, though, which is more than all but the 'premium' characters. Just seems out of whack. Honestly what tickled me there was the fact that their email was trying to convince me that pre-ordering a bunch of Diablo 2 mercenaries for the price of a retail game was a great idea.

There's just too much 'BUY XXX IN THE CASH SHOP FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF DERPITY DEEP' to not bug me on some level. I never got those feels from Path of Exile, but sure, this is a different beast. I'm sure Marvel wants to make their money where they can.

I suspect since the business model is contractual... as Marvel doesn't have internal game studios... so specific money-milking scheme must be come up by the developers...
And yes they are totally different beasts... Marvel games are all simply milking its comics/movie fanbase, so it's rather understandable to price the characters/costumes with high price... since they will be plenty of crazy people spending dough on their favorite "mercenaries" as soon as they are released. On the other hand PoE must rely on its gameplay instead of franchise appeal...
And why do they do such campy games instead of another decent Rise of Apocalypse/Ultimate Alliance style game? After being burned by various awful movie-adapated games, why don't they contract Obsidian to make a story-driven Avengers RPG if they said they are trying to find the "perfect" game studios to do it? Is it because Obsidian sucks? Yes, it is! More comics-to-movie mobile games for you (Actually I should try them sometimes...)!

xilo3z

Educated
So apparently they changed the name? Marvel Heroes '15? Anything different? Or they just decided to rename because the game isn't "terrible" any more?

Name

Cipher
They added some lame infinity progression systems called omega system...
Basically even after you hit level cap 60, your character can still use exp to progress down that system and spend points on passive traits. The traits are devided into different research divisions of SHIELD and some of them will be unlocked after future events.

There is also a new daily shared quest system which seems to be a shared version of daily Legendary Quest.

They are continuing adding expensive characters and skins and review old characters.

The story arc continues after Chapter 9 and it's actually a Raid instance against Surtur.

Achievement system is still incoming.

Also did you know they add a new lame story instance called one-shot a few patches earlier?

I would spend $59.99 on a single-player Marvel games like this one instead of this one.

Last edited:

xilo3z

Educated
Yeah, I've been playing Lego Marvel Super Heroes for my Marvel fix (don't hate). Somehow I ended up on the Marvel Heroes reddit (...don't hate, again) and saw that it had more people browsing than Path of Exile. Became intrigued, but every where I asked the only response was "It is A LOT better than it was at launch". It seems they are trying everything they can to make it turn out to be a good game at least, their heart is in the right place!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom