Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mask of the Betrayer '15

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Baldur's Gate is a totally different and inferior experience. I would say that KOTOR II is probably the closest you're going to get to the PS:T/MOTB experience. I gather the restoration patch smooths some of the rough patches. I'm not sure there are really any other games that would fit the bill. By the way, this isn't to say that KOTOR II is in the same league. I think it's basically PS:T and MOTB neck-and-neck, distantly followed by KOTOR II, followed by nothing. V:TM:B has some nice writing, scenes, and reactivity, but without a party it's not really the same. And all the other party-based RPGs are either fairly generic or poorly written or both.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I do love MotB, but PS:T is still way ahead and it is silly to say otherwise.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
You're probably right. There was almost a 15 year gap between my playing the two games, so I can't do a meaningful comparison of the two. PS:T matters a lot more to me, but I try to discount for nostalgia.

--EDIT--

Another way to say it is that when you zoom out to a scale that fits a third game with similar qualities, the space between PST and MOTB looks small.

Last edited:

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Since you're a part of the Torment writing team it might be a good time to replay it. If you have the time to spare that is.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
There's no way I'd be able to meaningfully replay the game in the time I have. I'm pretty sure I clocked about 40 hours of gaming time, total, in the past couple years. I'm also not 100% sure it would be necessary. I've re-read the dialogues from time to time, and the emotional beats of the game are pretty well locked into my memory ("Yea, my very soul!"). I think trying to give it even more emphasis in my brainspace would increase the risk of imitation without increasing the likelihood of capturing the spirit. At this point, either I have it or I won't ever.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So the evil jerks like Spirit Eater while the rest don't. Noted.

Conveniently ignoring all of the users who said they managed it just fine by using Supress and eventually Eternal Rest, and that the alignment shifts were quickly changed and easily modded out.

The only other actual problem with it was a single bug that would occasionally calculate the time incorrectly when traveling the world map, such that your character would arrive at the gates of Mulsantir dead. I'm not sure, but I believe this was quickly fixed as well.

It's a great game mechanic and once the alignment impacts and the travel bug were fixed, it was no trouble at all to manage unless you truly had no patience whatsoever to deal with it.

SoZ had a similar time calculation bug when traveling the overland map. But it just made you earn insane amounts of money rather than die, so less people complained about it.
And you ignored that I said I played it at release before it was fixed. Soon after I got the spirit meter away mod and never looked back.
As for D&D part and rest, I agree NWN2 OC was rest spam and it was ruined because of that as the game was designed around that. MotB rest limitation through spirit meter was a bad way to do it as spirit meter was irritating. SoZ rest limitations were best.

Just because you played the game before it was fixed then doesn't make your arguments valid now.
They do for me. Managing spirit was irritating anyways, even with it no longer giving your lawful good points. I just don't care for game mechanics that are this intrusive.

Then enjoy continuing to convince only yourself.
I am not really trying to convince anyone, just that as soon as I mentioned I use mods to remove it a group of idiots attacked me for daring to play a game in a way that I like instead of how they like

ArchAngel

Arcane
Let me get this straight: ArchAngel's epic butthurt about the spirit eater mechanic is all from five minutes of playing it in an early build where, in true Obsidian style, it was broken?

:salute:
If that is all you took away from many of my posts I wonder how you manage to get out of bed in the morning.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
I am not really trying to convince anyone, just that as soon as I mentioned I use mods to remove it a group of idiots attacked me for daring to play a game in a way that I like instead of how they like
This is the codex. I probably removed spirit meter for the same reasons as you, but I don't really care nor remember them from 8 years ago.

Israfael

Arcane
Time-domain cleric with persisted divine favour, haste, mass prayer and some other shit like extended battle-tide pretty much nullifies the meter problem even if you have any... In any case, the only combat problem in the early game (and later it's an utter faceroll except Akachi in the home village and you have to do specific things to even get there (aka assemble the mask)) is the Genus loci fight and super-tough malarite wolf/cat thing in the cave. Everything else is trivial or less.

This is the codex.

I see a lot of idiots here defending the Spirit Eater thing. That was by far the worst mechanic I ever seen in any RPG I played.

hurr codex is so unfair, go away bullies!!!!!

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is the codex.

I see a lot of idiots here defending the Spirit Eater thing. That was by far the worst mechanic I ever seen in any RPG I played.

As you said it yourself, this is Codex. I got similar comments when I first mentioned removing Spirit meter, why should I not reply in kind?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Only beef I had with the Spirit Meter was that it stayed on your char even after you removed the curse and I had to console it out to export him later.

Other than that 8/10 regret nothing.

cincinnatus.c

Arcane
There's no way I'd be able to meaningfully replay the game in the time I have. I'm pretty sure I clocked about 40 hours of gaming time, total, in the past couple years.

I take it, you still have your day job and all this game-crafting is just a hobby?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
More-than-fulltime day job, two game projects, wife and kids, house in endless need of repairs.

Last edited:

cincinnatus.c

Arcane
I'm sure your mom is happy for you. I was referring to "40 hours of gaming time, total, in the past couple years" - I read it as "I have little time" and deduced "because I have a demanding day job". That's all.
I have a day job, a demanding hobby and wife too. I don't play games at all.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
This is the codex.

As you said it yourself, this is Codex. I got similar comments when I first mentioned removing Spirit meter, why should I not reply in kind?
What was so bad about it? It required almost no effort one way or the other, was even easier if you went down the 'good' path. All you had to do was occasionally tell everyone to stop attacking a near death enemy and eat them.... Only place that I remember it even coming up was that one time I took a risk, traveled for 12 hours and died on arrival.

I think it was a great mechanic, that really added urgency to the fact that you didn't have time to fuck around, this thing was going to kill you and you had to stop it.

I suppose they could have added some option in the menu to remove it... kinda like hardcore mode in F:NV. But worst mechanic in any RPG? GTFO moron.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Maybe I just like time limits of this kind. I didn't enjoy F1 water limits but at least there if you sent water from water merchants back to your Vault in a normal game you would not run into that limit.

Andnjord

Arcane
Maybe I just like time limits of this kind. I didn't enjoy F1 water limits but at least there if you sent water from water merchants back to your Vault in a normal game you would not run into that limit.

I always found the F1 time limit extremely generous. Playing the first time blind I still had a lot of it left before finishing the game. If anything the lack of time limit in F2 felt really jarring, what with the visions urging to go faster. But I suppose that's the price you pay when you cram a game full of stuff like F2 did.

By the way, since I never ran into it, in F1 if you ran over the time limit, did you just get a game over screen? Or was it just a REALLY BAD ENDING once you finished with the master and the military base?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ups, I meant I don't like limits of this kind.

Israfael

Arcane
I have maybe a stupid question - is DMM even present in the MotB or OC NWN 2? I tried creating cleric with this feat and it never showed up on the screen despite having the required 7+ turns and other shit. SRD and other documents don't even specify if there're any requirements for getting persist meta with DMM.

Delterius

Arcane
house in endless need of repairs.

I can say this with experience.

Give up. Blow the house and build another one.

Save yourself.

Also, people, the forests are filled with spirits making the spirit meter quite manageable. No need to work around with spells.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom