Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mask of the Betrayer '15

Andkat

Educated
Ammon Jero was really the only particularly memorable and interesting character in the entirety of the NWN 2 OC, I feel.

Prime Junta

Huh, this is the first time I hear going out of Mulsantir to feed is a thing. If you don't play like a complete moron, the Spirit Eater mechanic is either ignorable (suppress) or turns you into a ravening vortex of destruction (embrace). It's only a chore if you're used to rest-spamming, which is kind of the point. Even if you only have one caster in the party -- which is borderline gimping yourself -- you still have a massive battery of level 7-9 + epic spells to draw from. If you can't clear the game with those without resting after every little skirmish... well.

Wizard is a good class to play. NWN2 combat is kind of shit but the spell system is kind of not, and the NPC's let you go completely wild with all types of spells, so casterfights are much more fun than plain ol' fights. The spirit eater mechanic just forces you to look at the spells a bit more closely and use them with thought instead of just mechanically spamming the most powerful one, two, or three you have.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Huh, this is the first time I hear going out of Mulsantir to feed is a thing. If you don't play like a complete moron, the Spirit Eater mechanic is either ignorable (suppress) or turns you into a ravening vortex of destruction (embrace). It's only a chore if you're used to rest-spamming, which is kind of the point. Even if you only have one caster in the party -- which is borderline gimping yourself -- you still have a massive battery of level 7-9 + epic spells to draw from. If you can't clear the game with those without resting after every little skirmish... well.

Wizard is a good class to play. NWN2 combat is kind of shit but the spell system is kind of not, and the NPC's let you go completely wild with all types of spells, so casterfights are much more fun than plain ol' fights. The spirit eater mechanic just forces you to look at the spells a bit more closely and use them with thought instead of just mechanically spamming the most powerful one, two, or three you have.
Have any more excuses for a shitty mechanic?

Black

Arcane

You've yet to explain why it's a shitty mechanic.

MasPingon

Arcane

Once someone said Spirit Eater mechanic is a detector. You have been spotted.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Sorry, not a native speaker, don't really know what FUD means in this context
I'm not a native speaker either. But anyway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

NWN2 wiki has a more or less coherent explanation of why the King of Shadows was evil: his presence was supposed to leech life from everything in the vicinity. But as far as I recall in the game even his lair was not devoid of life so it's all FUD too. Suspension of disbelief didn't work - I heard no evil and saw no evil. Or actually there were two consistently evil forces involved: the Githyanki and Black Garrius. And pretty much nobody cared about either.

ArchAngel

Arcane

You've yet to explain why it's a shitty mechanic.
Because others have done so in last few pages. Also excuses for it showed it clearly.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I need spirit tungsten to live:
zLh2KYz.png

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Few hours in. Got past the first "normal" town and the game's damn good. Very much narrative heavy like in Torment. The compas are interesting, I love how they interject in dialogue (wish Pillars had that as opposed to just minor asides).

Soul mechanic took getting used to. Now I don't spam rest as much and learn to choose my spells more judiciously.

hiver

MotB has pretty shit combat like all NWN2 (SoZ had a bit better combat because you could not rest easily) but MotB has the best story. Just use a mod that removes the super irritating Spirit Eater
The spirit eater mechanic is at the core of the story. You remove that and you remove the story.
Shitbrain.

I see a lot of idiots here defending the Spirit Eater thing. That was by far the worst mechanic I ever seen in any RPG I played.
Why is it the worst mechanic you laughable idiot?

Lol. If that was supposed to be its purpose, it was the most terrible way to do it. Just like most of NWN2.
How was it the "most terrible way to do it"? Can you propose a single better way to do it? You should since you just claimed its the most terrible way... right?

Go on, lets see what that turd in your skull is able to produce except retarded declaratory statements.

I don't want to take your place. I know you are a Biowhore.
You already proved to be a raging biowhore since you want to play "the story" while removing its core feature that is at its base as the biggest motivation and the main literal plot point.

Fun gameplay?
Spirit Eater is for idiots that like to punish themselves while playing...
Explain. You can explain your statements, right?

Except when you play it feels like a curse for the players and not their characters. If you like LARPing that is your problem.
How is not not a curse for the characters?
Larping? You use mods to remove a core feature.... because obviously you are too fucking stupid to play a game as it should be - in order to just enjoy the story and you call others larpers?
How does that non logic work?

No, I just didn't want to play all my characters as Lawful Good paladins so I can ignore this mechanic. When I removed it, MotB became playable. In the end the game was more playable than OC, but not to levels everyone praises it. I enjoyed PST much more for a game less focused on combat.
You dont need to be Lawful good paladin to suppress hunger at all. but i guess you can explain that stupid statement too, right?

When you removed it it become playable - for you, you mean, right? because its sure playable without such stupid retard mods.
Nobody gives a fuck what a stupid laughable moron liked better or not. Thats just your mental diarhea, not a measure of excellence of anything. because you are a stupid shit.

Some people enjoy ass rape, it does not mean we all should.
How is spirit eater an "ass rape" you cretin? Explain. You can explain your statements, right?
And "we"? Who is "we?

Do you have any single actual argument for stating it is a "shitty mechanic"? You should be able to, right?
And how are the many arguments you were given "excuses" when they explain to you in detail how such a mechanic fits and works with the core story and thematic points of the game?

i bet you dont understand this sentence at all stupid :lol:

Because others have done so in last few pages. Also excuses for it showed it clearly.

What others you cheap stupid ridiculous turd?

Can you quote a single one of those imaginary "others" posts?

What excuses, what did they show?

hiver

Hiver gonna hiver.
So...you cannot answer a single question and explain a single stupid statement you made.

You just keep posting idiotic meaningles words thinking that has any meaning other then making you a complete stupid shitbrain cretin.

Well it doesnt.

You literally are a stupid incoherent shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hiver gonna hiver.
So...you cannot answer a single question and explain a single stupid statement you made.

You just keep posting idiotic meaningles words thinking that has any meaning other then making you a complete stupid shitbrain cretin.

Well it doesnt.

You literally are a stupid incoherent shit.
It is pointless to explain anything to you. I got better things to do, like .. anything else.
You are that one guy that you nod while not listening to and hoping he goes away soon.
Alts gonna alt.
Whose Alt?

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
The spirit meter was a great dumbfuck detector, just like THACO in AD&D.

This thread is a great example.

hiver

How is it pointless to explain anything to me?
Can you explain that idiotic statement you retarded shit?

You mean to say that you actually can explain anything you say? :lol:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
spirit eater mechanic was pretty bitchin', gain permanent true sight and concealment with your hunger maxed out, just devour everything that can be devoured and gain spirit essences in the process to craft great equipment, managing surpressing is way more work than just to devour what you come across

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
How is it pointless to explain anything to me?
Can you explain that idiotic statement you retarded shit?
I already did, twice. But just for your benefit let me try again. Ready?
Are you sure?
Really really sure?
OK then click the button
Hiver gonna hiver.

Andnjord

Arcane
spirit eater mechanic was pretty bitchin', gain permanent true sight and concealment with your hunger maxed out, just devour everything that can be devoured and gain spirit essences in the process to craft great equipment, managing surpressing is way more work than just to devour what you come across

Is there any other game that allowed you to gather crafting materials from devouring the souls of your companion? Or something equivalent at least.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Is there any other game that allowed you to gather crafting materials from devouring the souls of your companion? Or something equivalent at least.
You could sacrifice all your companions to One of Many in SoZ for lots of Xp. Does that count?

Prime Junta

As somebody else already pointed out, the really awesome thing about the mechanic is that all the awesomeness behind those spoilers comes with a cost. That's the munchkin detector right there: they just can't abide that something cool comes with a real trade-off. Yet without the cost -- the hunger and the penalties that come with it --, the evil path would've been just so much muhahaha. As it was

feeding kids to cannibal monsters

became the logical thing to do, and that put you on a downward slope of finding yourself doing ever more despicable things, as the shreds of humanity still clinging to you were stripped off, piece by piece.

Every game does the Hero's Journey; I can't think of any other that did the Villain's Journey as compellingly.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well I usually play the neutral characters. And Spirit Eater shit on my plays. My true neutral Sorcerer ended up as a Lawful Good character just so I could continue playing the fucking game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom