Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mask of the betrayer: character creation

Ravel myluv

Learned
Alright I'm giving a go at MOTB, and I'm a bit lost at the character creation.

Which race/ class should I chose given that:

- I'm a huge storygaf who wants to take the most of dialogues/ sotry/ lore. In PST I would always give max wisdom and intelligence to my character for instance.

- i don't like the rules of 1 spell/ days effective in PST, and generally don't want to give too much thought to combat. Ideally I'd chose some warriorish character, but I'm afraid these types of characters always miss interesting dialogue options.

- As I"ve heard evil playthrough is awesome, I plan to do it first for a change

Any tips?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Stats aren't that important from a storyfag standpoint - the dialogue options are mostly based on skills. Make sure your character has Diplomacy (that's the most important "talky" skill) as a class skill and keep it maxed - or take the Able Learner feat to turn all skills into "class skills". Lore and Spellcraft are also nice skills to have, i.e. they come up in dialogues fairly often. The classes get a varying amount of skill points, but humans get +1 every level regardless and they also get a bonus feat, so if you're undecided then human is a solid choice for race.

Regarding spells - in the NWN2 original campaign the Vancian casting system (i.e. having "spells per day") wasn't really an issue since you could rest however often you wished - however, in MotB there is a mechanic (which I won't spoil here) that discourages resting, so not relying on spells to win every single battle is definitely a good idea. Long-lasting buffs and summons help loads.

Personally I'm a huge fan of divine casters in D&D 3.5-based games as they are better warriors than warriors when buffed and since MotB starts at level 18, you can already have the Persistent Spell feat at the start of the game, making some of your lower-level buffs last 24 hours. This is, in my view, more interesting than a straight-up fighter-type character and you'll also have access to powerful spells, should the need arise. For example, here's the build I'm currently playing with - it's not 100% optimal but decent enough:
http://nwn2db.com/build/?126276

This isn't the simplest approach, though, so if you're not comfortable with the ruleset, you might just go with an old-school fighter type instead - the game isn't that difficult either way. Just keep those dialogue skills maxed! :)

Ravel myluv

Learned
Ok thanks a lot! :)

I'll make a fighter, and if I'm motivated for a second playthrough I'll play with the rulesets a bit more. For now the character creation is a bit scary IMO.
Almost impossible to know what I'm doing :p

Ravel myluv

Learned
Oh also, fighters seem to have a bonus in intimidation. Since I"m going to play evil, isn't it better to max intimidation rather than diplomcy?

Crichton

Prophet
I'm not really into the Snidley Whiplash thing so I don't know if there are any special intimidate options for evil folks. In general in NWN2, diplomacy does almost everything the other dialog skills do plus a lot of other stuff so if you're only going to have one dialog skill, it should definitely be diplomacy. If you'd like to try out all the options, make a human rogue with the following stats: STR14. DEX12. CON14, INT14, WIS16, CHA8, take the able learner feat and then take a level of druid at every level-up. A human with an int of 14 can max 7 skills per level (of druid). I'm pretty sure that for maximum dialog options and ease of combat, those seven skills should be Concentration, Diplomacy, Lore, Spellcraft, Intimidate, Bluff and Use Magic Device.

However, if you're really into storyline, I'd play the NWN2 OC and import the character into MotB. The NWN2 OC has a variety of issues, but the storyline might its best feature.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm going to have to go ahead and agree about skipping the OC - I went through it just recently, partly to be able to import my character into MotB. I wrote a TL;DR impressions post here (beware - spoilers!), but the short version is that it was completely, utterly NOT worth it in my opinion. I'd advise just reading the plot summary on Wikipedia and going straight to MotB.

Athelas

Arcane
I'm pretty sure importing a character from the OC doesn't actually affect anything in MoTB. It's like Obsidian realized nobody would ever want to play through it again.

As for dialogue skills, there are plenty of classes that have a specialization in two of them. I think the Rogue is the only class that is specialized in all three dialogue skills.

wesleyclark

Augur
My favorite character for MotB was a strength-based, combat focused Rogue1/Fighter1/BardX with Able Learner. Get charisma up to 16 only for max spell level, and spells only for buffing. Able to cover all the speech skills at max, and all the rogue skills too (except for sneaking, which I ignored). At Safiya's first level-up, get craft armor just high enough for the mithril plate and heavy shield for zero spell failure with armored caster.

Equip an epic-level longsword, drop a curse song every now-and-then just for fun, and sail through the game.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't remember social skills being used very often in MotB, but I pretty much always play with one or more social skills maxed so I could just be forgetting the checks. I'd recommend just playing whatever you want.

Or just play this: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Kaze_no_Kama

Snufkin

Augur
My favorite character for MotB was a strength-based, combat focused Rogue1/Fighter1/BardX with Able Learner. Get charisma up to 16 only for max spell level, and spells only for buffing. Able to cover all the speech skills at max, and all the rogue skills too (except for sneaking, which I ignored). At Safiya's first level-up, get craft armor just high enough for the mithril plate and heavy shield for zero spell failure with armored caster.

Equip an epic-level longsword, drop a curse song every now-and-then just for fun, and sail through the game.

This is the build i also used and recommend. It covers everything you need.

the_shadow

Arcane
I just finished good and evil playthroughs of MoTB. If you want to play an evil character, I'd recommend investing in taunt and bluff. Personally, I enjoy playing as a bard, because the bonuses from their songs and inspirations really add up.

Personally I'm a huge fan of divine casters in D&D 3.5-based games as they are better warriors than warriors when buffed and since MotB starts at level 18, you can already have the Persistent Spell feat at the start of the game, making some of your lower-level buffs last 24 hours.

You don't even need that. Just get divine power and you don't even need to multiclass. Congrats, you are now a better fighter than a fighter your level, enjoy your broken game. Don't even need to go for warpriest, you can have so many buffs as a cleric that you can turn yourself and your party to an ass-reaming squad.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I like how Clerics in 3rd Edition are superior to warriors in every way.

Ravel myluv

Learned
Thanks to all for your answers! :)

I think i'll stick to fighter for my first play, and might be a bard for my second.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

- I'm a huge storygaf who wants to take the most of dialogues/ sotry/ lore. In PST I would always give max wisdom and intelligence to my character for instance.

- i don't like the rules of 1 spell/ days effective in PST, and generally don't want to give too much thought to combat. Ideally I'd chose some warriorish character, but I'm afraid these types of characters always miss interesting dialogue options.

Any tips?

It's worth noting that while in the main Skills are the primary flag for dialogue checks, there in the MotB are more than a couple Wisdom-based ones, either directly or from its derivative 'Insight'.

They don't do much more than impress/surprise the NPC you are speaking to, though. Easter eggs for clerics I guess.

Last edited:

the_shadow

Arcane
Thanks to all for your answers! :)

I think i'll stick to fighter for my first play, and might be a bard for my second.

Taking Blackguard as a prestige class might interest you. Not only does it suit roleplaying an evil spirit devouring character, you also get some decent abilities, including sneak attack, a tough summon (skeleton warrior), and an aura which reduces nearby enemies saving throws by 2.

i just played motb for the first time.
character creation intrigued me, feels like there's a lot of space for customizability and even some larping. then the game started and HOLY FUCKING SHIT now i understand why you complained about camera controls.
fucking hell.
no amount of swearing can really explain how that felt.

staying in topic: does't warlock classify for prestige classes? i wanted to switch to pale whatshisname, the necromancer, but it didn't let me yet even if the requisite is access to 3rd level spells while just in character creation i could reach up to 4th.

Last edited:

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
the pale master needs arcane spells. the warlock doesn't know arcane spells, instead he has spell like abilities called invocations.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So far, I've found Intimidate and Taunt sufficient for my Barbarian, so they're handy enough that you can consider skipping diblimessy.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Any tips?

http://nwn2db.com/build/?644

That is the build I modified to basically experience everything in the NWN2 and expansions.

You will kick massive fucking ass and take names. And be able to do everything. But for a certain conversation with a certain Dead God, you will need a pendant....

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
The most fun I've had is using a modified version of this build.

I second the suggestion that you skip the OC. It's very long and not particularly interesting, story-wise. I've completed it twice, and I'm thinking about doing it again, but most players won't like it very much.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
MotB isn't really particularly hard, so any vaguely competent character should get you through.

If you want to 'min-max', the strongest build is probably Rogue(first level, all excess levels)/Fighter(enough to get some extra feats for Weapon Master)/Shadowdancer(1 level)/Weapon Master (7 levels), while only spending skill points when you level Rogue, getting you lots of skills to add some dialogues.

eremita

Savant

Any tips?
From storyfag point of view, Rogue is great (all social skills), not so much in case of gameplay though... A lot of enemies are immune to sneak attacks/criticals so your Rogue has significant disatvantage here. You can get some weapons/Epic Precision feat to negate that immunity later in the game but still... However, as has already been stated, MotB is not a hard game, so you should be fine anyway. (I just personally felt like an idiot when some of the crucial feats of my Rogue appeared to be useless... BTW, way to go designers! Let's just fuck Rogues and Weapon Masters in the ass!)

Bard is also great for storyfags. Or you could just grab one level of one of these - in NWN2, one class level is enough to make specific skill your class skill for entire build... Multi-class is great in this game anyway. Basically, any class with diplomacy is fine. It is also true, that there are few Wisdom-based checks, so Clreics, Favored Souls, Druids and Paladins are great (they all have Diplomacy and definetly should have high Wisdom).

Also, lore is definetly another skill, which comes up quite often in conversations...

Last edited:

eremita

Savant
I should add that the highest diplomacy/ Intimidate check known to me is 30.

Anyone has some other details? I'm really considering another playthrough. Ohh, nostalgic memories, I hope they are not fooling me...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom