Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Masquerada - RTWP 2.5D RPG from Singapore!

V_K

Arcane
Magic wouldn’t be magic if it couldn’t be used for crowd control or to inflict debuffs!
All interest (what's little left of it after "RTwP" bit anyway) lost right there.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Magic wouldn’t be magic if it couldn’t be used for crowd control or to inflict debuffs!
All interest (what's little left of it after "RTwP" bit anyway) lost right there.
Why? PoE was bashed because most of magic was not useful crowd control or debuffs.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gave the demo a try and it took me exactly 30 minutes to beat.

I'd like to say it was great and that everyone should get hyped. Alas, that is not the case.

When you start the demo, you can choose if you want to play on Normal or Hard. I decided to go with Normal just to see how the game plays like. (I might try it on hard at a later date.)

There was no exploration. You go from point A to point B to point C. The combat is real-time-with-pause. It was entirely possible to just play without pausing. You have a 3 character party, but you control only one of them while in combat. You can obviously switch characters freely. While you control your character, the computer will handle the other peoples' actions.

Here's the problem, it seemed to me that the characters I was not controlling did what I told them for a second and then followed my guy and attacked the same target. Things get cluttered in combat and it is not always easy to see what is going on. The combat itself wasn't very demanding. I went through the demo mostly unscathed. I had trouble in the first encounter because I didn't know what I was doing. After that, I mostly spammed the few skills that each character once their cool-down had run out. Another pet peeve of mine. I am not a fan of cool-downs in these types of games but that is a subjective matter.

I said that things got a bit cluttered in combat, but other than that, I must say that the game looked good overall. I did have an issue with blurry text and it was also super small. If the lines hadn't been voice acted, I would not have been able to follow what was going on from a story perspective. Speaking of the voice acting, it was solid. No complaints there. Music and combat audio were also well done. In other words, in the non-gameplay department, I don't have many complaints other than tiny text.

What could be improved in my opinion is that combat should feel a little bit less cluttered and maybe add some gambit-like system. Fix the text while you are at it.

There was no menus while playing, for example, inventory or skill screen. That means that I don't know if there will be loot, leveling up and such. I have no idea how quests work or if it's just like in the demo.

I was very hyped for this. After trying, though, I might pick this up as a time waster when I have nothing else to play and it is on sale.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Knights of the Old Republic with a better camera. :M

Ladonna

Arcane
I don't know...those condom looking things on the screenshot are surely worth the price of entry.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I also tried the demo and now I am no longer interested. I hope the demo is not representative of the full game because if it is I would not even consider this a RPG.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

I cannot, in good conscience, support this product. Lie down with foxes, get fleas.

Lhynn

Arcane
They are giving away free toilet paper, i dont see the problem.

You can't use a digital book as paper.
Welp, misread. So they are giving away stuff that no one cares about that people that isnt going to read it and that cant even use it as paper weight. Still cant be said its harmful in any way. Only thing that matters is whats in the game.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Benjanun Sriduangkaew is Lesifoere, aka RequiresHate

Funny, I thought after being called out, people generally didn't want to have anything to do with her anymore.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
There was no menus while playing, for example, inventory or skill screen. That means that I don't know if there will be loot, leveling up and such. I have no idea how quests work or if it's just like in the demo.

That's mentioned on the main page:

Let’s get this out there: We’ve eschewed an inventory system. Masquerada isn’t meant to be a loot fest like Diablo. We aimed to create an experience that meaningfully balances deep combat mechanics with a haunting narrative. We don’t want you distracted by the grind for a +10 Sword of A Thousand Truths.

That said, every character still carries a signature weapon that can be upgraded with sigil engravings and ink patterning, which improves weapon strength and provide buffs to existing skills and magic. You’ll want to explore the vast hand-drawn environments that Cicero and team investigate, if you hope to find new sigils and plant inks!

QnuKl3e.jpg

"We're not implementing an inventory because that would make us like Diablo" is an impressively bullshitty statement. No wonder Ken L. supports them.

This game comes very close to my ideal of anti-fun. I'll enjoy following its development.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I will also enjoy talking to the game's executive producer (and head of its publisher) at Gamescom next week. If you have any questions, post them here.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
This game releases on September 30th. The Codex preview will probably be ready by then.

Drowed

Arcane
Let’s get this out there: We’ve eschewed an inventory system. Masquerada isn’t meant to be a loot fest like Diablo.

:hearnoevil:

Wow, seriously?

Well, it's a RPG-lite, then, if that. But hey, it can still be fun.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let’s get this out there: We’ve eschewed an inventory system. Masquerada isn’t meant to be a loot fest like Diablo.

:hearnoevil:

Wow, seriously?

Well, it's a RPG-lite, then, if that. But hey, it can still be fun.
Don't get your hopes up, at least not if the demo is anything to go by.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Apparently the story is really great:

According to a private backer update, the game will release on the 30th of this month.

bminorkey

this is pretty nice :) i think i'll get it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom