Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Trilogy

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
ME1 is the pale, I still pretend I'm an RPG, game.
ME2 is the brash, I don't make any excuses for being a cover shooter, game.

It's fucking pointless to argue about it.

Sykar

Arcane
ME 1: Decent if deeply flawed first entry but had potential/hope for sequels.
ME 2: Deeply dumbed down retardo game with minor improvments of gameplay which did not compensate in the least for the dumbing down. And do not get me started on fucking biotic CC immunities of enemies.
ME 3: Never played but watched the ending on YT since I heard so much about it in a negative way. Grats Bioware for making an entry in the dictionary for "retardo ending: see Mass Effect 3".

As mentioned best NPCs were Garrus and Wrex, rest is mediocre to outright insufferable.

ME1 is the pale, I still pretend I'm an RPG, game.
ME2 is the brash, I don't make any excuses for being a cover shooter, game.

It's fucking pointless to argue about it.

I still consider the first game to be better than ME 2 overall. ME 2 was an empty shell of a game whith a barely coherent story, shit character, even shittier dialogue.

ME 1 tried to be a hybrid and while it was not as good as it could have been it was a nice idea. Too bad they could not get both right in any of the three games.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The butthurt over the ending was actually so bad they made a DLC just to change it. For a nominal fee of course.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Well the original ending was truly awful: A failed attempt at being cerebral in a series which by that point had just become popamole schlock. It resolves virtually nothing, and in fact implies that you managed to basically destroy civilization in your attempt to stop the reapers, with the last shots being of the mass effect relays throughout the galaxy being destroyed and all your crew stranded on some jungle planet, possibly for the rest of their (short) lives.

It was so bad that it lead to fans inventing an elaborate theory that everything from after you are attacked by Harbinger at the end is a indoctrination-induced hallucination, despite the fact that this required a level of subtlety and nuance that the Bioware writers demonstrated time and time again within the same game (Kai Leng, anyone?) they did not posses.

Deleted member 7219

The butthurt over the ending was actually so bad they made a DLC just to change it. For a nominal fee of course.

Extended Cut was free.

Citadel had a price tag, but that didn't do anything to the ending. It just let you have a party with all your team members (including the ones still alive from ME1 and ME2).

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Extended Cut was free.

Citadel had a price tag, but that didn't do anything to the ending. It just let you have a party with all your team members (including the ones still alive from ME1 and ME2).
Extended cunt only added the Fallout style ending screens but kept the endings pretty much the same. There was another that added more options I think.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
About the only major thing the extended cut did was add an epilogue which confirmed that you didn't utterly destroy the galaxy by activating the conduit to defeat the reapers, and that your crew won't die a slow and horrible death stranded on an uninhabited planet. It also added handful of revisions which make it seem less confused and disjointed (like adding a cutscene showing your companions being evacuated before you make your run to the Citadel, unlike the original, which implies they died horribly when Harbinger attacked), and a few dialogue options with the star child where it tries to justify the creation of the reapers, which still comes off as nonsensical and hypocritical as ever ("ORGANICS AND SYNTHETICS ALWAYS WIND UP DESTROYING ONE ANOTHER SO WE'LL JUST DESTROY EVERYTHING IN ADVANCED INSTEAD TO STOP THEM FROM DESTROYING ONE ANOTHER"). Other than that, the ending is largely just as stupid as it was originally.

pippin

It also shows that Shepard lives, but only if your score is high enough.

J1M

Arcane
Just started Mass Effect 1 for the first time and played for around two hours. I didn't know almost anything about the series beforehand except that they are third person shooter RPGs with awkward Bioware romances, plus some jokes and memes I've seen on Codex. Anyway, the first impressions are as follows:

-game runs like shit. I thought this was new enough to not have issues with modern systems but I guess not. Is there some common/easy fix that everybody knows?

-looks pretty bad. All the aliens look perfectly fine but humans look ugly, unnatural and awkward. One of the worst cases of uncanny valley I've seen in games, worse than Dragon Age.

-initially I was pleasantly surprised that there was no automatic health regeneration but withing the first 30 minutes I found an armor upgrade that grants just that. I guess the game actually is sitting behind cover, popping moles with regenerating health.

I'm not expecting much at this point but punching annoying people in the face during dialogue is always funny so I guess that's something.
You can play run and gun in Mass Effect 1 by using the AOE damage items and the pistol skill. This is easiest to do with the Infiltrator class. (More of the right skills, huge boost to shields, etc.)

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There's a mod for ME3 that basically makes the game end right after Shepard activates the Cruicable and sits down with Anderson (cutting out the retarded Starchild, stupid choices, and the Stargazer shit). I think there's even an option to use the Citadel DLC as an epilogue. I've never used it myself (only ever played it when it was first released) but I've always been curious about how well everything meshes together with that mod.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
About the only major thing the extended cut did was add an epilogue which confirmed that you didn't utterly destroy the galaxy by activating the conduit to defeat the reapers, and that your crew won't die a slow and horrible death stranded on an uninhabited planet. It also added handful of revisions which make it seem less confused and disjointed (like adding a cutscene showing your companions being evacuated before you make your run to the Citadel, unlike the original, which implies they died horribly when Harbinger attacked), and a few dialogue options with the star child where it tries to justify the creation of the reapers, which still comes off as nonsensical and hypocritical as ever ("ORGANICS AND SYNTHETICS ALWAYS WIND UP DESTROYING ONE ANOTHER SO WE'LL JUST DESTROY EVERYTHING IN ADVANCED INSTEAD TO STOP THEM FROM DESTROYING ONE ANOTHER"). Other than that, the ending is largely just as stupid as it was originally.
Well yes, that would be the "failed attempt at being cerebral". Most contrived shit ever.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
No, I had all the DLC for ME3 since I sailed the seven seas for it and there was no difference in the endings between Extended Cut and the DLC.
The endings get changed as soon as the dlc is installed, there's no way to go back to the original ones. Meaning you don't have to actually play the DLC to see it.

One additional ending seems to be the one where you don't pick anything and just attack the kid. Take that, Fallout series.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
That was added by the Extended Cut unless I'm mistaken. You can shoot the Starchild or deny the choices via dialogue.

There's a mod for ME3 that basically makes the game end right after Shepard activates the Cruicable and sits down with Anderson (cutting out the retarded Starchild, stupid choices, and the Stargazer shit). I think there's even an option to use the Citadel DLC as an epilogue. I've never used it myself (only ever played it when it was first released) but I've always been curious about how well everything meshes together with that mod.
Yeah, it's the best way to salvage ME3 - have both Shep and Anderson chill out as they bleed to death and then roll the cutscene of Reapers blowing up. Say nothing about the conduits and all else.

vota DC

Augur
Got bored with ME1 rather quickly. The game felt very "fake". The locations didn't feel real. Wasn't a good party RPG. Wasn't a good shooter RPG.

More than fake some parts of game feel cheap. For example the megacouncil that is supposed to decide the future of universe is just a couple of holograms.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So I beat ME1 and I am now around 6 hours into ME2. This game is definitely worse than ME1 but some things things are better.

ME1 was a decently fun game but some stuff was baffling, like how much they recycled some interiors. When it comes to those side quest locations and other optional places, there's like three different layouts and 95% of the locations are one of those, identical or near identical. Also, even after finishing the game, I never understood the point of searching for those materials on planet surfaces. There was some checklist for them in the quest log but I never bothered to finish it so I guess it was all pointless?

When I heard ME2 stripped away almost everything that is RPG and went full shooter, I assumed that it was just typical Codex hyperbole and only somewhat true, but oh boy was I wrong. When I started the game, I was really confused when I tried to find my inventory, weapon skills, dialogue skills, crouch button and a myriad of other things. I thought that they were just missing because I was still in the tutorial section but the reality sank in eventually. If ME1 was 60% shooter and 40% RPG, this is 90% shooter and 10% RPG.

The game runs beautifully even on max settings and the companions are much less useless than in ME1 but most of the other "improvements" don't really improve much. Like it's obvious that they tried to make this a better shooter instead of a half-assed shooter-RPG hybrid, but I think ME1 gameplay was in fact better. Not only because it was actually possible to run and gun in that game, but just moving around felt so much better. ME2 has this annoying "realistic and cinematic" movement where, if my finger slips away from the w key for a fraction of a second, Shepard stops because there's that short acceleration time before you start running. It might be more realistic but it's annoying. Also, maneuvering around in the battlefield is more of a hassle too because use, cover and sprint are all tied to the same key, in addition to the new, "improved" movement. I often have to fight against the controls and have Commander Retard do all kinds of stupid, clunky shit during combat. I'm not sure if it's my fault for not learning the controls properly or if the game really wants you to stop moving during fights and just sit behind same cover, popping moles until the enemies stop coming. Aside from the obvious, "the enemy retreats for a minute so you can run around, collecting ammo" breaks, of course.

ME2 is giving me some great, unintentional enjoyment though. I just completed Kasumi's heist quest and it was just incredible. After hearing the briefing and the premise, I kinda expected that before the inevitable action finale, first the 50-66% of the quest would involve some light sneaking around and avoiding guards, some light "dialogue puzzles" where you have to pick a few correct options to get required information and not blow your cover etc. (especially since Kasumi warns you not to talk about business or something), but the whole thing was literally "talk to the owner and press one color-coded dialogue option, then walk around a few places and press use when prompted from a mile away". Nobody cares when you walk through security doors in full sight of everyone, nobody hears once you start shooting just outside the main hall, even though the scripted guards hear you if you accidentally activate the alarm clock in the owner's room. And then you just shoot them and still nobody cares.

And after that patronizingly easy and simple start, it's just cover shooting and Michael Bay explosions till the end. It was so dumb and laughable that it was actually hilarious :lol: I might actually have some great time if the rest of the game delivers similar retardation.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Told ya. Anyone who says ME2 is better is a massive faggot.

They even removed the keyboard shortcuts for most things.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
One thing I'll never understand was the decision to bind every fucking thing to spacebar. Want to run? Spacebar. Take cover? Spacebar. Activate a console? Fucking spacebar.

Edit: Or it might have been another key, it's been several years since I bothered with ME2.

pippin

It's a thing of the port, I guess, which is fun because iirc some games had native controller support removed.

TNO

Augur
I aver the ordering should go ME2 > ME 1 >> ME3. (C.f. My signature)

ME2 is much less of an RPG than ME1, I accept. That said I think a lot of the 'RPG elements' ME2 got rid of were pretty rubbish. The entire Mako combat mechanics revolved around 'lol, my weapon's a hitscan whilst yours is a glacially slow moving projectile!', and the 'expanse' of the Mako areas was usually one objective and then some stupid 'collect the 10 bobble heads' fetch items. The inventory system where you had 50 different 'avenger I, Harpoon III' whatever weapons - all of which were outclassed by your spectre gear just mean time wasted in the inventory (armour was fractionally better, where there were ~3 ish suits that outclassed everything else). The difference between 9 or 10 pips on Decryption or whatever was never gameplay relevant.

ME2 has generally superior gameplay modulo the focus on 'getting to the cover!' (ME3, for all its faults, probably has the best gameplay out of the three), I clearly remember trugding around pounding hundreds of bullets into someone with immunity - no thanks. It isn't great, I accept. None of the games managed to escape the quasi-caste system class balance (ME1 psionics >> tech, ME2 tech >> psionics, ME3 adrenaline rush >> everything).

I don't get why people think the story elements in ME1 are better than 2. Granted, the main plot in ME2 is utterly stupid, but the main plot in ME1 was at best barely more-coherant sci-fi schlock. The characters in ME2 are much better than ME1 (Miranda > Ashley, modulo the sad fanservice, Mordin, Garrus is no longer bland, Samara, Legion, TIM, little bit parts like Bailey, Wrex's reprise, etc. etc.) The dialogue is a bit better too.

ME3 is obviously a disaster.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
One thing I'll never understand was the decision to bind every fucking thing to spacebar. Want to run? Spacebar. Take cover? Spacebar. Activate a console? Fucking spacebar.

Edit: Or it might have been another key, it's been several years since I bothered with ME2.
It's the awesum buttan. Press a button, something awesome happens. Isn't ME2 where that meme came from in the first place?

Yeah, totes a better game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom