Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh hey, it's the Elder Scrolls loremaster guy who worked on Bloodnet:

This week I'm joined by Lawrence Schick, the Loremaster of The Elder Scrolls Online. Schick is a living legend among fans of RPGs; he was a pivotal figure at TSR before moving into video game development at Coleco and then MicroProse.

Archibald

Arcane
Never did Patreon so maybe this is a bi of a noob question, but how does this "per video" thing work exactly? Do people get charged for shit like "Matt Chat 341: Matt Reviews Stellaris" same amount as for his latest, for example, Lawrence Schick interviews?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Never did Patreon so maybe this is a bi of a noob question, but how does this "per video" thing work exactly? Do people get charged for shit like "Matt Chat 341: Matt Reviews Stellaris" same amount as for his latest, for example, Lawrence Schick interviews?
You are not "charged", you decide how much money do you want to send him per video.

Archibald

Arcane
You are not "charged", you decide how much money do you want to send him per video.

I don't follow? For example there is an option to pledge 1$ per video, so if I pledge it then I can decide after his each video if I want to send that dollar or not?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Out of curiosity, anyone here bought / is interested in Matt's new book?

I'm curious about what it covers and how it looks, but all you can find in the internet is the cover - no index or inside pages.
And that price... ugh, $55 for a 380-page paperback book is just insane.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I don't follow? For example there is an option to pledge 1$ per video, so if I pledge it then I can decide after his each video if I want to send that dollar or not?
No, maybe I didn't express myself well. You decide an ammount when you sign up for pledge, and that ammount will be sent automatically each time he uploads a video. But it is not Matt who decides about the money.

Destroid

Arcane
Out of curiosity, anyone here bought / is interested in Matt's new book?

I'm curious about what it covers and how it looks, but all you can find in the internet is the cover - no index or inside pages.
And that price... ugh, $55 for a 380-page paperback book is just insane.

Does he sell a PDF or just hate trees?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
He only sells $55 printed copies of a book we know next to nothing about and never saw a single page. FFS, I can't even find out if the book is full color or B&W.

For comparison, his previous book, Vintage Game Consoles, has page previews, is fully colored, about the same length and is $20 cheaper.

I swear, if he makes a blog post about disappointing sales...

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Come on, his Dungeons and Dekstops kindle ebook costs... $46?! What?

gaussgunner

Arcane
It's $38 (US) when I look. Does amazon have an auto-price-gouging feature now, or are you someplace like Australia?

Anyway. It's almost like he doesn't want people to buy his books... just youtube/patreon.

Destroid

Arcane
He only sells $55 printed copies of a book we know next to nothing about and never saw a single page. FFS, I can't even find out if the book is full color or B&W.

For comparison, his previous book, Vintage Game Consoles, has page previews, is fully colored, about the same length and is $20 cheaper.

I swear, if he makes a blog post about disappointing sales...

Time to stir up a twitter lynch mob, #papergate !

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So we finally have the contents of his new book:

hF62GBg.jpg

WUT? Elite and fucking Street Fighter II are from the same generation? Pool of Radiance and Doom?

And why would you do a long-ass reading of a whole chapter of your book, but not release a single picture of how it looks inside? A single page preview?

Time to stir up a twitter lynch mob, #papergate !
Matt can do whatever the hell he wants with his books - is his money, after all, and I'm sure he also finds insane that the CRPG Book is free... but... ugh... WHY??????

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's $38 (US) when I look. Does amazon have an auto-price-gouging feature now, or are you someplace like Australia?

Anyway. It's almost like he doesn't want people to buy his books... just youtube/patreon.
I'm in Potato, so probably some VAT shenanigans.

Archibald

Arcane
Anyone else feels that Matt usually talks in a way as if his audience was mostly casual gamers than actual gamers that like old games? Like how he mentioned that third game had skill trees similar to WoW, it feels like he is looking for some "relevant" example instead of saying that everything is shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom