Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Matt doesn't get an interview, butthurt ensues r00fles!

Aenra

petitioning for thread to be moved to Site Feedback, accompanied by the obligatory poll;

Is advertising plant enough?
- No
- Yes No
- KingComrade

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Codexers will just write the script and hire hot chicks for narration, like professional game journalists do :lol:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
In retrospect, Tim Schafer never gave me an interview. Another crime to his ever-expanding list.

Not that I asked, mind you, but he didn't offer one.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Jesus fucking Christ Matt, you are making me look bad here. If you pledged for the game becase you want to make it happen, then pledge. But don't pledge for a fucking interview.

Edit: Heh, I'm doing some Infinitron level Brofist harvesting with this post. :smug:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Also i wonder why RPG Codex does not have its own channel for game reviews and analysis.

Streaming video triggers a large part of our membership. Do not want the PTSD.

Don't see a problem with that, we can just prosperize the worst cases. Streaming would attract new members who don't know what adblock is.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If you pledged for the game becase you want to make it happen, then pledge. But don't pledge for a fucking interview.
This. I can understand refusing to pledge because you are unhappy with the KS (this was my case), or wanting a refund because you felt cheated after the fact (as happened with many, MANY KSs, most notably SotA). I can also understand being annoyed with devs who promise an inteview then ignore you. I can even understand being annoyed at devs who never respond to your interview request (a simple "no, but thank you for asking" doesn't take a lot of effort, no matter how busy you are, and since OtherSide hired a PR firm it's really the least they can do). But threatening to take your toys and leave, after the fact, because of something completely unrelated to the game or the KS, makes you look like a petulant child at best.

He should make more to-the-point reviews of old games and tech stuff
Oh god please no. Every time I made the horrible, horrible mistake of watching one of his reviews I had to be driven to the hospital and checked for potentially morbid brain damage. By far the best thing that comes ouf of Matt is his interviewing, they're amost always very good, and quite often excellent. His reliance on them is great, he just needs to act more profesionally when something like this happens. Make a joke about how you're going to keep harrassing them until they say yes. Make a serious tweet or post or whatever saying how disappointed you are that they've ignored you, because you think the opportunity was ripe and it would've made a great interview. Call them out more harshly if you must. But don't act like a petulant child.

Mustawd

If you pledged for the game becase you want to make it happen, then pledge. But don't pledge for a fucking interview.
This. I can understand refusing to pledge because you are unhappy with the KS (this was my case), or wanting a refund because you felt cheated after the fact (as happened with many, MANY KSs, most notably SotA). I can also understand being annoyed with devs who promise an inteview then ignore you. I can even understand being annoyed at devs who never respond to your interview request (a simple "no, but thank you for asking" doesn't take a lot of effort, no matter how busy you are, and since OtherSide hired a PR firm it's really the least they can do). But threatening to take your toys and leave, after the fact, because of something completely unrelated to the game or the KS, makes you look like a petulant child at best.

He should make more to-the-point reviews of old games and tech stuff
Oh god please no. Every time I made the horrible, horrible mistake of watching one of his reviews I had to be driven to the hospital and checked for potentially morbid brain damage. By far the best thing that comes ouf of Matt is his interviewing, they're amost always very good, and quite often excellent. His reliance on them is great, he just needs to act more profesionally when something like this happens. Make a joke about how you're going to keep harrassing them until they say yes. Make a serious tweet or post or whatever saying how disappointed you are that they've ignored you, because you think the opportunity was ripe and it would've made a great interview. Call them out more harshly if you must. But don't act like a petulant child.

Yes to everything you said.

-His pledge and his butthurt over the interview are completely unrelated
-HIs interviews are the best/only good part of his youtube channel. His reviews suck
-He should know that acting like an idiot on twitter is Basic PR 101. It's the same email rule...write the email when you're mad and take 10 minutes to think about it before sending.

treborSux

Arcane
Since everyone is shitting on him, am I the only person that thinks he's a shitty interviewer?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think he's very... uh... Matt Barton-ish on his interviews. Like that time he added a fanfarre and 5 "OH MY GOD GUYS, CHECK THIS OUT!" screens just to show Robert Woodhead saying something like "eh, games today are lame".

Other than that, my only complain is that he never, ever, does follow up questions, even when his guest just told something fantastic...

Johannes

Arcane
I'm not a fan of his reviewing style either. He should do more to dig out the interesting shit out of his guests, instead of just following the script with a lame joke here and there. He should challenge them more.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think he's very... uh... Matt Barton-ish on his interviews. Like that time he added a fanfarre and 5 "OH MY GOD GUYS, CHECK THIS OUT!" screens just to show Robert Woodhead saying something like "eh, games today are lame".

Other than that, my only complain is that he never, ever, does follow up questions, even when his guest just told something fantastic...

That's because he just harvests the codex for questions. It's hard to follow up when you don't know why you asked a question in the first place and have no clue what the guy is saying.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The guy is hilariously illl-informed when it comes to RPGs starting with Fallout, anyway: a scrub.

That's because he just harvests the codex for questions. It's hard to follow up when you don't know why you asked a question in the first place and have no clue what the guy is saying.

Other forums, too.

Mustawd

I still support him though. Keep those interview coming! :bro:

Agree; I shit on him all day about his reviews and interview skills (or lack thereof). But at the end of the day I always tune into his stream for a juicy interview or two (or replay old ones).

Keep at it J_C! Just don't get too butthurt next time my ginger friend.

nil

Cipher
In retrospect, Tim Schafer never gave me an interview. Another crime to his ever-expanding list.

Not that I asked, mind you, but he didn't offer one.
He did offer me interview, but when I mentioned that my house doesn't have a helipad, his daughter suddenly got sick and we had to postpone indefinitely.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have some issues with the way he conducts and prepares for his interviews, but I'm also really happy those exist. There aren't many people interviewing old and/or niche developers these days.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Jesus fucking Christ Matt, you are making me look bad here. If you pledged for the game becase you want to make it happen, then pledge. But don't pledge for a fucking interview.

I know it's you, Jim Fucking Sterling. If you're gonna insult a fellow youtuber don't hide your face like a little shit
Damn, my ruse is up. Can I have a Could be Jim Sterling. Maybe. tag?

Gord

Arcane

I know it's you, Jim Fucking Sterling. If you're gonna insult a fellow youtuber don't hide your face like a little shit
Damn, my ruse is up. Can I have a Could be Jim Sterling. Maybe. tag?

Nice try, Matt.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Matt Barton ‏@mattbarton 24m24 minutes ago
So the whole ascendant thing was a misunderstanding on my part. All apologies! Feel a lot better now!

:M

:nocountryforshitposters:

I have seriously lost so much respect for Matt.. I love his interviews (AKA He is really good at asking leading questions and usually keeps his mouth shut and enables the people we care about to talk and talk and usually drop a few bombs of times long past that we can gossip and speculate about)

But Jesus Christ, you went on twitter like a little kid and stomped your feet and kicked your legs and demanded your 30 dollar copper pledge back.. And this guy is a teacher? Our world is going down the toilet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom