Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Max Payne 3 - Discuss!

Sul

Savant
Seeing a guy get burnt alive whilst necklaced in car tires
This happens all the time in the favelas of Rio and São Paulo. They use it to make an exemple, controlling people through fear and all that.
Yeah, and I meant to ask: all this stuff involving death squads - I thought that was ancient history? Especially the right-wing paramilitary death squad that we first see in the stadium in Max Payne 3.

Latin American and Central American republics supposedly have seen periods of death squad terror in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. Max Payne 3's plot involves such a death squad still existing in the 21st century, as if such a thing could still be commonplace today.

Curiously, do death squads still operate in Brazil and other parts of Latin America? Or are they - as I suspect - a phenomenon from a long time ago from far worse days?
Watch Tropa de Elite 2, the movie deal with these themes and a bit more (and it's also pretty good).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This happens all the time in the favelas of Rio and São Paulo. They use it to make an exemple, controlling people through fear and all that.
Yeah, and I meant to ask: all this stuff involving death squads - I thought that was ancient history? Especially the right-wing paramilitary death squad that we first see in the stadium in Max Payne 3.

Latin American and Central American republics supposedly have seen periods of death squad terror in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. Max Payne 3's plot involves such a death squad still existing in the 21st century, as if such a thing could still be commonplace today.

Curiously, do death squads still operate in Brazil and other parts of Latin America? Or are they - as I suspect - a phenomenon from a long time ago from far worse days?
Watch Tropa de Elite 2, the movie deal with these themes and a bit more (and it's also pretty good).
We watched Tropa de Elite 1 at Codex Movie Night. It was shit, and it failed miserably in conveying its intended message.

Sul

Savant

We watched Tropa de Elite 1 at Codex Movie Night. It was shit, and it failed miserably in conveying its intended message.
Yeah yeah whatever:M

Phelot

Arcane
MP1 was ridiculously cheesy in the story department. I remember thinking "WTF? Who made this?" Then I saw the credits and it all made sense. 2 was much better, I don't know if they were tutored about New York and "wise guys" or what, but it was much better.

Anyway, you guys convinced me to pick up 3 though I will probably wait for a sale. I hope it isn't too corny with the cutscenes.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something

As I said before, TdE 2 is a different kind of movie(which is why I didn't nominate it, not enough poor people getting tortured, therefore unfit) less huehuehue rock song "montages" and more of a plot... it's certainly a better movie than the first, not sure if a gringo could "follow" it well, though.

the message... well, I may be going into flipflopping and/or define: RPG territory here, but if it's about BR law enforcement and crime culture it's not exactly a failure(the movie is labeled semi-fictional for a reason), though it certainly is a shit movie

edit: TdE2 suffers from having wacky shit, there's a random scene where some sensationalist tv show guy* starts doing a bunch of cringeworthy shit and then graffittis his own set, I'm a native and I'm not entirely sure what the fuck that was about, I mean we do have our sensationalist crime tv guys but this? what the fuck?

*who just happens to be a criminal linked to deep corruption shit

Wyrmlord
what do you mean by death squad? haven't played it yet and the term can get ambiguous, but perhaps felipepepe can explain if he feels like it

the rough answer would probably be both yes and no, depending on what you mean

Wyrmlord

Arcane
MP1 was ridiculously cheesy in the story department. I remember thinking "WTF? Who made this?" Then I saw the credits and it all made sense. 2 was much better, I don't know if they were tutored about New York and "wise guys" or what, but it was much better.

Anyway, you guys convinced me to pick up 3 though I will probably wait for a sale. I hope it isn't too corny with the cutscenes.
I would not worry too much about the cutscenes. They get shorter as you progress through the game, with moments of fire fights getting longer, more intense, and more continuous.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Oriebam

A death squad is supposed to be a group of extra-legal armed forces who are above the law (like SPECTRES) and have additional unabridged powers to do things that normal police can not do. An example is CONTRA in Nicaragua, which terrorized all the families which had any sympathies for the Sandinista. You know - famous Ronald Reagan/Oliver North controversy about that incident?

What both the favela-raiders and the paramilitary troops were doing in the aftermath of the favela fights in Max Payne 3 - it sounds an awful lot like the Contra.

I thought it was strange thing to show in a contemporary period game, because I don't think that sort of stuff is common anymore?

Oriebam

AFAIK we have the "militias"(literally what we call them, some sort of corrupt cop mafia that is confirmed to operate in at least half the country, known for ruling some favelas, killing judges that dared to do something, driving honest people out of the country and partying hard inside prisons. They are also involved in random killings around the country)... Which is what Sul was trying to mention when he told you to watch TdE 2(the movie is about this), they are indeed a real problem, but probably not something like depicted in the video game(over the top mass murdering mini-army, I'm guessing)

but actual paramilitaries in the sense of the ones in the neighboring countries? AFAIK problems with them are rare or affect very little of the country directly, but we DO border most of South America

would appreciate correction by others

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I think Menckenstein forgot that Michael Mann also made the original Miami Vice series.

Sul

Savant
edit: TdE2 suffers from having wacky shit, there's a random scene where some sensationalist tv show guy* starts doing a bunch of cringeworthy shit and then graffittis his own set, I'm a native and I'm not entirely sure what the fuck that was about, I mean we do have our sensationalist crime tv guys but this? what the fuck?
There's worse stuff on news shows like Brasil Urgente, much worse.

Oriebam

There's worse stuff on news shows like Brasil Urgente, much worse.
Maybe it's an state thing or me not watching enough TV, but besides typical sensationalism and ignorance I've seen nothing as clownish as what happens in the movie and the movie guy is linked to criminals. Which may have been an attempt to allude to something IRL, which is what makes me wonder

DemonKing

Arcane
I finished the SP last night and gave the MP a whirl.

The campaign held up pretty well throughout although I felt the best level was probably the one in the football stadium near the beginning (maybe because I can't remember another shooter set in a stadium?). It was completely OTT (in a good way) and the mo-cap on Max was particularly impressive in that it effectively captured an fat, drunk washed-up dude who can still throw himself through glass windows while pumping out hot lead from dual-wielded uzis when needed.

I tried the MP last night and it was surprisingly decent despite the lack of dedicated servers. The bullet-time mechanic is incorporated well and it is refeshing to play a game which is just about a bunch of randoms throwing themselves around spraying gunfire instead of a team-based objective-type affair most popular shooters have become these days.

I have to admit it stirred the desire within to search through my garage and pull out the discs for the first two games!

Astral Rag

Arcane
Still, MP3 shows how third-person shooters are done right.

naked-gun-facepalm.gif

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Tropa de Elite 1 was shit!?
Nascimento's character is superbly depicted as well as the favelas/BOPE violence. But all the violence from the movie is not gratuitous shit, it has a purpose.
Glorification of BOPE is a fake plot, cause the real story is the struggle of Nascimento to find a proper replacement in a degenerated system. And the moral of the story is that you need to create a monster to beat a monster.
However the movie never betrays his intentions and it might be confusing, but nevertheless it's an intelligent movie. I don't say is great, but is definitely not shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom