Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Max Payne 3 - Discuss!

Multi-headed Cow

Got it downloaded and I've fucked with it a little. Enjoying it so far. It randomly skipped a cutscene in chapter 2 (Max was talking to a guy at the bar and then suddenly it skipped to me diving out of a window shooting people in-game) but apart from that no real issues to speak of. Performance is great considering my machine and other recent games. I realize it's a corridor shooter, but most other corridor shooters bitch and moan.

Also tried one round of the multiplayer and did fairly well considering I was level 1 and didn't know anything about the special abilities and rules and shit. Managed a decent killstreak. The mix of popamole and diving is kinda entertaining. Doubt I'll play a ton of it but I'll certainly mess with it some more. I must crave console multiplayer 'cause I had a surprisingly good time with Space Marine multiplayer, too.

Absolute best part is the horrendous Max Payne 1 skin. Can be used in arcade modes for singleplayer and (unfortunately) only deathmatch in multi. No TDM. I thought it was a preorder only thing, but it was included with my game so whatever I'LL USE IT AS MUCH AS I CAN.

Edit 2: Second best part is the shoutouts the Max Payne skin does. Like I kill a guy and my guy yells "HE WAS TRYING TO BUY MORE SAND FOR HIS HOURGLASS. I WASN'T SELLING ANY". Not talks in Max Payne monologue mumble, yells. It's as hilariously stupid as the skin itself and I love it.

Edit: As further evidence that Totalbiscuit is a goddamn retard and doesn't know what the fuck he's doing, I just got first place in free for all deathmatch with a level 2 account in my second multiplayer game ever in the non-newbie deathmatch matchmaker. STRANGELY ENOUGH I WASN'T UNPLAYABLY CRIPPLED BY THIS.
(i regret having watched his video, but i was linked it and i knew i was buying the game soon and i was weak and he was so goddamn dumb what have i done bros)

EFDE027E6B83936FD9D2D3EA8E8645E3F855F548

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Really enjoyed the game despite the lack of comic interfalls and the over-abundance of cutscenes. Gunplay, level and encounter design as well as the retardedly yet amusing script and good voice acting kept me entertained throughout. Plus it looked stunning and ran great. :graphicswhore:

Disliked the last levels however. The game improved only untill 4/5 but went downhill afterward. The airport level starts out great but switches to large open areas later on. Something which simply isn't what works best with the gameplay. Compared to the favella, burning building and bus shootout missions it also felt kinda meh. Did like the end though. Max Payne games never really provided exceptionally good bosfights and this one is no different but I was enjoyed nonetheless.

I've finished it three times now (Hard, Hardcore, Old School) and I just don't get the dislike for last levels. Game throwing more and better equipped enemies at me nearing its end felt very natural to. Larger and more open areas? Headshoot the motherfuckers from far away and feel even more of a badass. Loved both the police station and airport. I also have to note how distinctive and memorable each chapter felt to me, down to separate combat encounters. No fight felt like filler to me.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
just don't get the dislike for last levels.

Headshoot the motherfuckers from far away and feel even more of a badass.

To me that feels like pretty much every other shooter ever. Slomo diving into a room filled with foes and popping their heads is what makes Max Payne fun for me. Large enviroments just lose that which makes Max Payne gameplay special. Not to mention that the airport is the laziest designed level of them all. Compare the bland interior to the design of the favella, speedboat chase or derelict building for instance.

DemonKing

Arcane
I also though the airport level was a bit lacklustre, although I enjoyed the police station (especially the training area/target range). One thing I didn't like with tthe cops was that occassionally I would be hunkered behind cover and they would toss a smoke grenade so they could advance and I thought to myself - this is when I would follow up with a grenade - but it never happened. Instead the smoke just cleared and they had inched ever so slightly forward.

Where the hell is Max going to go for the next installment though - Syria? Afghanistan? I can't think of too many other places he's readily going to find thousands of armed guys to blow away.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Where the hell is Max going to go for the next installment though - Syria? Afghanistan? I can't think of too many other places he's readily going to find thousands of armed guys to blow away.
If Brazil counted, most of the rest of the third world counts

sser

Arcane
Developer
Okay, I'm between this game being passable and "fuck this game."

I'm playing it on hard, as I did all the other games, but the difficulty is completely fucked thanks to Cover-Shooting Mechanics 2012 AAA-Palooza.

The aiming is floaty as all hell -- ah, the slow creep of the console -- and the action is glued to the goddam walls you are forced to stick to. MP2 had a hard difficulty, but it was about aiming and good use of dodge/bullet-time. MP3's difficulty is ... cover-shooting. Yay. I got stuck at some part where it was me vs. 10 guys literally at point-fucking-blank. My AI partner has the accuracy of skydiving paraplegic swinging at a pinata so he ain't worth anything except Cinematic Flavor. Also, it is quite irritating to shoot five rounds across a guy's chest at 10-meters but because he has body armor he's okay. What the fuck. I mostly just hate the cover-shooting. Like I do all cover-shooting games. Because it's fucking cover-shooting. At the very least, the game runs exceptionally well for a Rockstar title (these days) -- except the part where it crashed, of course.

5/10.

MP2 had a hard difficulty
MP2 is very easy, on all difficulties, who are you kidding? I even had to search for difficulty mods.
Also, it is quite irritating to shoot five rounds across a guy's chest at 10-meters but because he has body armor he's okay.
You have fucking slow-mo and still don't go for headshots?
The aiming is floaty as all hell
Only floaty aiming I've found was when mouse acceleration was on. They added in-game menu option to turn it off in a patch. You could do it with ini tweak before.
What the fuck. I mostly just hate the cover-shooting. Like I do all cover-shooting games. Because it's fucking cover-shooting.
Yeah so why don't you just play it like non-cover shooter? Because that's what this game mostly is. Or maybe you should just lower difficulty?

sser

Arcane
Developer
The aiming is floaty without mouse acceleration -- the sensitivity is 1-10, increments of 1. Console design.

They put cover in the game -- and the mechanics are built around it. At no point in the game so far have I been able to fight outside of cover. Ignoring the waves of enemies for a second, the primary difficulty is Max himself and the environment. He bumps and knocks into shit everywhere. He behaves more like a real human when he dives. That looks cool, but unfortunately crumpling up against the game's terrain -- which is Mass Effect: Rio Edition -- means instant death. MP2's quick get-up has been replaced with a slow crawl to one's feet, and in that process Max will eat lead in this game, no surprise. And since the game so far has been nothing but enclosed spaces... well, not much reason to get out of cover. Note, too, that it's not impossible to have realistic visuals and still maintain an aggressive, fun style of gameplay. As far as I'm concerned, Stranglehold is more true to the Max Payne series than this game is.

At no point in the game so far have I been able to fight outside of cover.

That means you suck at it, plain and simple. I finished Hard and Hardcore barely ever using cover system, used it a bit more in Old School difficulty. It was still far from being a popamole shooter though. Lower the difficulty if you can't deal with it now.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
The only time I ever used cover was when they started you in it, playing in cover puts you in a bad place, best to charge head on and apply bullets directly to the forehead.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I finally managed to fix the damn aiming to an acceptable level (it doesn't have the responsiveness of MP2, but it will do). No longer watching the reticle float about like a faerie is quite nice -- the game improved ten fold with that alone.

50/10.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
To be fair, the game often forcefully starts new sections in cover, AND reswaps your weapons every time you switch from one cinematic to another. You may lose 3 seconds both swapping a weapon and getting out of cover - three seconds that enemies may use to get a headstart over you. So sometimes, you may as well take a few blind shots from cover at one enemy before switching back to main weapons and running ahead.

Say - in the favela molotov cocktail section - it would have been much easier to get to the player to start it standing and running. Instead of deliberately making him a sitting duck for those cocktails right from the start.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I finally managed to fix the damn aiming to an acceptable level (it doesn't have the responsiveness of MP2, but it will do). No longer watching the reticle float about like a faerie is quite nice -- the game improved ten fold with that alone.

50/10.
What exactly did you do to "fix the damn aiming"?

Multi-headed Cow

Finished the game. Had a good time, I miss the comic book bits and the story didn't tickle my fancy all that much but wasn't bad enough to bother me. Biggest gameplay complaint I've got is not enough bullet time. I never, EVER seemed to have enough, and I was playing on normal.

Still, really enjoyable. I don't feel too terrible about blowing $30 on it. Probably SHOULD'VE waited for lower, but eh.

sser

Arcane
Developer

50/10.
What exactly did you do to "fix the damn aiming"?

Started playing with a joystick.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Finished the game. Had a good time, I miss the comic book bits and the story didn't tickle my fancy all that much but wasn't bad enough to bother me. Biggest gameplay complaint I've got is not enough bullet time. I never, EVER seemed to have enough, and I was playing on normal.

Still, really enjoyable. I don't feel too terrible about blowing $30 on it. Probably SHOULD'VE waited for lower, but eh.

I found bullet time almost useless, maybe only when you are forced in cover after cutscenes it had some use. I used the jumping or shootdodge or how it was called all the time instead

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
In the half of the scenes the player get into, flying in bulllet time and doing headshots is good and awesome, but then the old fart lands on the ground and lie there, while enemies hidden behind covers fill him full with lead. And then you don't have any bullet time at all, so you either sit behind those damned chest- high crates, or die.
And that's just one of many things Rockstar done wrong.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Or you could just try to watch where you are jumping before you do it to prevent this. :p Though I agree it doesnt always work, it never really bothered me.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
All this playing Max Payne 3 has compelled me to put on both The Killer and Hard-Boiled on the DVD player.

I wished Max Payne had a sidekick gunslinger just like Chow Yun Fat does in both movies, but instead we just have Raul Passos who stands around and does nothing.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I loved the old Max Paynes (especially the first one), however I have ignored coming out the third part of the series, expecting it to be mediocre at best. Did any of you play it? How is it? I'm not expecting it to live up to the old ones, but is it at least a good game on it's own?

Multi-headed Cow

Damn it Konjad there's a big Max Payne 3 thread with Codex opinions on the same page as this very thread!

Codex mostly liked it, Skyway didn't like it because Max's hair was different.
If you're playing on normal you don't have to use cover much and can just shootdodge like a madman (If you're paying attention to what the fuck you're doing/where you're going, Max gets fucked up if he dives head first in to walls) no idea if that holds up on higher difficulties. Lack of comic book is a bummer. Story's not really anything, less of a deal than MP1 and 2. Game's pretty alright.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
IMHO, Max Payne 3 is popamole done right: you can play like a little gears of war fanboy, getting into cover every fight; or be a man and do insane jumps and slow-mo shoutouts. It's a fun and good-looking shooter, nothing more.*

*unless you're brazilian, then it's worth just for the br voice actors shouting ofenses at you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom